Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
  • Kitties Woody, Taiki and Twyla
Re: Introductions
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 18:26:02 PM »
Good advice! I have bought them a fancy new one so their old bog standard one can go in the lounge. MIL is going to be happy! (not!)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 22:15:49 PM »
I'd have a tray upstairs and down, if they go back up and need the loo but you have moved it downstairs they could get caught short!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 19:36:49 PM »
My kittens are really too small to have access to the entire house (Woody's kingdom). So how do I go about swapping them around? They don't have awfully good bladder control yet so all I can think is I could bring them into the lounge and bring their toilet with me. But then the article says to let the new cat make his or her own way down the stairs. I don't think my kittens can deal with stairs yet.

Oh, you'll be surprised how well they'll be able to cope with the stairs! 11 weeks isnt too young to be going up and down stairs, they'll be fine. Yes, thats a good idea to have their litter tray (or 2) wherever you are going to be letting them have a roam around, and pop them in it as soon as they are in that room - just so's they know exactly where to go!  ;D

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 19:19:25 PM »
That's an interesting article, and it makes a lot of sense!

So here's my next question. My kittens are really too small to have access to the entire house (Woody's kingdom). So how do I go about swapping them around? They don't have awfully good bladder control yet so all I can think is I could bring them into the lounge and bring their toilet with me. But then the article says to let the new cat make his or her own way down the stairs. I don't think my kittens can deal with stairs yet.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 16:21:51 PM »
Hi Inky I used the Wizz system introducing a kitten to two more mature cats and it worked very well.  I used it later to introduce to adults into the house and again it worked well with those already there but unforutnately the two I was bringing in didn't like each other - not something you need worry about though!

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Buddy & Daisy
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 15:05:49 PM »
Hi Inky

Have a look at this website, some members on here suggested i try it  http://wizz-catz.co.uk/introducing.html

I got a new cat (Ralph) in August, he's 4 yrs and i'm still trying to introduce him to my 6 yr old (Jet) and 3 yr old (Cleo).  He's ok ish with the older one as Jet just leaves when he's about i think they've accepted they'll just tolerate each other.

However everytime i let Ralph and Cleo see each other it's like world war 3, I don't want to have to get rid of Ralph so i am not going to give up and i do think we are getting somewhere although it is a slow process.

Good luck, but wizz's website may help you as well as advice from people on here.
Always in my heart RIP Jet, Cleo, Poppy, Oscar & Sydney x

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
Introductions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 14:08:19 PM »
Hello

We have a 5 year old cat, Woody (female), and two 11 week old kittens who are currently living in our bedroom.

I want to know if anyone has any advice on introducing them to each other. They have met across the hall a few times and Woody just spits at them and runs away. The problem is if she keeps running away from them she's never going to get used to them because she's avoiding having to deal with the social interaction.

I don't know whether to lock her in a room with them (and me of course!) and make her just get over herself or to just gradually let them further and further into the house as they grow. I'm worried locking her in is cruel and will cause her to feel cornered and unhappy, but then she will be unhappy anyway for a while if they are let into the main house and perhaps forcing her to face them will get it over with quicker - if you see what I mean. I'm also concerned that being cornered will make her lash out at them, although I don't think she would be capable of doing them any harm I couldn't guarantee it.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Link to CatChat