Author Topic: Litter box woes (I need help)  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Litter box woes (I need help)
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 17:04:32 PM »
Having just noticed hes a weeny,id say his bed episode was a case of gotta go and the trays too far. An extra tray the opposite end of the house so he less distance to travel to the facilities

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 16:49:51 PM »
I had a similare problem there was some towels left on the bathroom floor after my partner had a bath and the kittens decided they would pee on it they also decided to wee on one of there cat beds  >:(

They have 2 litter trays though and havent done anything like it since  ;D

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 16:41:11 PM »
Thank you for the replies. I've moved the box somewhere else to see if that changes things. The litter is similar to the one he had at the shelter, if it doesn't get better in the next couple of days I'll try to find another litter.
Also I'd say he's not constipated ... when he does eventually go it's all nicely formed and he doesn't struggle.
Just have to wait for him to wake up now. He's been asleep all afternoon  :Luv:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 16:12:59 PM »
Id leave him to it, he wont forget to poo cos it has to come out! He isnt constipated?

You could also try an extra tray of a different litter and see of he prefers that.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 14:30:07 PM »
It seems to be quite common for kittens/young cats to use bedding as a litter tray. Runour has it its the texture under paw (lets not hope its the smell!).

With Goose and Binky (rip) and the fosters since who have gone through this stage, the easiest thing was to not let them get to the places they used. The use of a pen over night is good.

With Goose and Binky the problem also extended to cats beds as well, we no longer have any bean bags left that the older cats loved to sleep in as we ended up throwing them out.

It is a phase and the best thing to do is discourage it by not letting them get to the areas in question unless under supervision and then id=f they start to do something move them to a litter tray. We always placed litter trays near problem area so we could move them easily mid flow with a lot of praise and encouragement as they toiletted properly.

Its easier to stop a habit forming than try to break one.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Litter box woes (I need help)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 08:32:21 AM »
So I've had Memphis (8/9weeks) for exactly a week today. His lack of toileting is really starting to frustrate me  :scared:
He knows how to use his litter box, in fact he's excellant at it. Thing is I SWEAR he forgets to go.

In order for me to teach him and for him to learn and to avoid accidents I've been taking him to his litter box frequently, especially, after mad play time, eating, long sleeps. As soon as I put him in it he jumps straight out, so I have to get him and gently place him back, rinse repeat. Now after about 4 or 5 times of this he would have a wee, at which point he was praised. Having a wee isn't so much a problem - he's used his litter box about three times without me having to take him. It's like he seems to have so much better things to do than go to the toilet because of this the past 48 hours getting him to go at all is hard. As soon as he goes in the box he's straight out .. in fact he spends so much time trying to get out he doesn't even try to go.

Now for the poos - that is REALLY frustrating. He eats like a horse yet never seems to need to poo. When he does he's wonderful, excellant at digging his little hole and covering it all up. I've never seen any signs he needs to have one. I tend to have to work out when he really needs to go, place him in his litter box and wait for that poo to arrive (I've got it right everytime .. seems I know his body habits better than he does).

Last night I tried to get him to go for both a wee and poo before bed. He had refused for the previous 5 hours  :censored: to go at all. As a result he had a wee all over my bed!! Which I was not impressed with.

So how do I get him to realise when he needs to go. He has constant access to hit litter box, he KNOWS how to use it, but with him life is eat, play, sleep and he doesn't appear to take 5 seconds out to realise he would be more comfy by emptying his waste (BTW he doesn't even have accidents).

I'm kind of tempted to leave him to his own devices, but I just know he won't have a poo .. thats like trying to get blood from a stone.

He's got a hooded tray with high sides at the back and a shallow front. He's not a fan of the hood so I've taken it off (will gradually indroduce it when he's mastered the toilet business), I change the soiled litter once a day and at the moment the whole box I've had a total change and clean twice in the past 7 days). Oh and he's the same whether it's a fresh clean box or one he's already used.

He's so small and eats so much he really should be going a lot more than he is  :( and surely it shouldn't be this hard.

Litter training my rabbit was sooooooooooo much easier  :evillaugh:

Anyhoo, any help would be very greatful.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Link to CatChat