Author Topic: Calici  (Read 1466 times)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
Re: Calici
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 09:34:37 AM »
I too tried the Omega medication but all this did was make Aerial sneeze and show all classic flu symptoms.  Vet wanted me to keep her on oral dose for another three months but I did not think this was fair on Aerial.  Although she is a carrier of Calici and her gums get inflamed, they do not really trouble her and she is in good health until she is on the medication.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 19:12:59 PM »
Hi Paree,

Our beautiful calico coloured cat Katie was a semi feral when we trapped her. Her microchip details helped to reveal that she had been living rough for at least 6 years. Her mouth was in a poor state as shehad calicivirus.

She had been losing weight as she could not eat properly and her gums were badly inflamed. We tried a course of virbagen Omega but that didn't help (5 doses with one injection every 2 days). The vet had suggested that test results had shown no more than a 50% success ratio in cats using this method but we had to give her that chance.

Eventually her teeth were removed. That was about 2 years ago and,touch wood, she is doing well. The vet may recommend an oral hygiene mouth rinse to use in order to keep any future mouth problems away or to reduce them.

Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 16:59:51 PM »
Thanks for that, I will let you know how he gets on
A cat is for life

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 16:15:59 PM »
Simon had half his cheek teeth out and is 90% great since. He doesnt have Calici as far as i know, the vet didnt think it was worth testing him so he couldnt have had the classic symptoms.

Tickles to Merlin

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 15:57:23 PM »
Yes it definately helped but sadly Chester also had other things wrong which made him not grow properly. He has had so much vet treatment and think his breeder was bad.

However I last saw him in May and have been told that suddenly he has groown after a change of food and he is supposed to be looking really good now.

He still is a carrier of calici though and I think they can have flare ups every so often but without the teeth his gums do not seem to have a problem now as far as I know.

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 15:53:27 PM »
Gill

Thank you for coming back to me. Do you know if this has helped your brothers cat?
A cat is for life

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 15:44:56 PM »
Yes my brothers Maine Coon had to go down this route even younger and not sure he even still has the fangs and he is only about 3yrs now.

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
Calici
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 14:42:08 PM »
Merlin had to go back to the vets yesterday, this is the 3rd time now since May with his Calici Virus. The vet has suggested that we book him in when his gums have settled down to have all his teeth removed except the 4 fangs and the little teeth between, has anyone gone to this extreme? He is only 16 months old.
A cat is for life

Link to CatChat