Author Topic: Dave's Spraying Again  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Dave's Spraying Again
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 14:44:53 PM »
Well, Dave's started spraying again.

The only two things I haven't yet tried are medicating him and getting a behaviourist in - so on Monday morning I'm going to ring the vet, get him an appointment just to make absolutely 100% sure there's no medical reason why he's spraying.

Have you tried homeopathic remedies? It might be worth getting a referral to a homeopathic vet. The remedies can be very effective for behavioral problems and they are very safe and and are matched to the individual cat - for instance 2 cats both with spraying problems may have totally different  remedies after an in depth consultation with a homeopathic vet. Sometimes remedies can work straight away, sometimes it might need a couple of trys until you hit on exactly the right one.

I hope you can get to the bottom of things - have you tried something called Cystaid - it isn't true meds, it is a glucosamine based med that just helps the lining of the bladder, and worked wonders with my foster who was spraying due to behavioural issues. HIs stopped as soon as he went to be an only cat, so it does happen.

Des, isnt Cystaid for cats with bladder problems? - how does it work with spraying?

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 12:32:43 PM »
No, hadn't heard of Cystaid...I'll mention it to the vet when the little dude goes for his appointment. Ta  :)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 12:26:22 PM »
I hope you can get to the bottom of things - have you tried something called Cystaid - it isn't true meds, it is a glucosamine based med that just helps the lining of the bladder, and worked wonders with my foster who was spraying due to behavioural issues. HIs stopped as soon as he went to be an only cat, so it does happen.
Please spay your cat

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
Dave's Spraying Again
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 12:19:04 PM »
Well, Dave's started spraying again. I was reading the paper this morning and, out of the corner of my eye, caught him spraying against the living room wall - about 3 feet away from where I was sitting.

The only two things I haven't yet tried are medicating him and getting a behaviourist in - so on Monday morning I'm going to ring the vet, get him an appointment just to make absolutely 100% sure there's no medical reason why he's spraying. If he checks out ok medically, which I think he will, I'm going to ask for a referral to a behaviourist. I wouldn't medicate him to stop the behaviour, I'd rather see him happy and 'with it' in another home.

I'm working on the principle that at least if his behaviour IS due to what he sees as too much company, CP would be able to rehome him with the information that his behaviour is definitely due to an issue with other cats and so would [most likely] not be an issue if he were an only cat.

Link to CatChat