Author Topic: Teething?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Teething?
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 08:26:27 AM »
Kittens usually lose all their baby teeth by the age of 7 months....i remember finding a baby tooth sticking out of the bottom of the living room door  :wow: (cat not human  :Crazy:)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 20:28:03 PM »
Iv got one of the boys sisters molar, its so teeny i nearly missed it  :Luv:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 17:32:39 PM »
normally the baby teeth are pushed out by the adults coming through (just like kids)

Kittens normally have 26 baby teeth  i -3⁄3   c -1⁄1   pm- 3⁄2  (no molars)
adults normally have 30 permanent teeth  i-3⁄3 (12)  c-1⁄1 (4)  pm-3⁄2 (10)  m- 1⁄1 (4)

molars in cats are pretty insignificant, their largest teeth are the premolars.

With kittens sometimes you never see a baby tooth, they probably swallow them or they get lost down the back of the sofa etc..i think i have 1 of codys canines.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 17:17:38 PM »
I've never had a kitten that's noticably lost molars, only baby upper canine. Sounds like one for our nurses?  :shy:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 17:13:49 PM »
All his little front teeth are still there (how cute do they look BTW  :)) and his fangs are still there but I don't know how many were/are at the back and in any case I can't keep his mouth open long enough to look!

Really dumb Q now but how does it work?  Will their baby teeth fall out and the big teeth will automatically be there or will they have a gap?  Do all of their teeth get replaced or is it just certain ones?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 17:04:37 PM »
It could be he's knocked out his baby teeth.  :sneaky:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Teething?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 16:59:12 PM »
Riley was playing with a strip from a carton earlier (like the stuff orange juice cartons are made out of).  He brought it over to me and the ends looked like they had a tiny bit of blood, he had definitely been chewing it as there were lots of little teeth marks!

Is it normal for gums to bleed when teething?  They will be 5 months old on the 19th so am guessing that they would be teething about now.

It goes without saying that he is eating/drinking/weeing/pooing/playing/sleeping/being naughty as normal otherwise I wouldn't be posting on here he'd be bundled in a carrier and shipped off to the vets!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 17:02:03 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Link to CatChat