Author Topic: Advice on Fur Coats  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
Re: Advice on Fur Coats
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 17:23:32 PM »
Thanks Guys  :) I did guess it was the winter coat cause Mistys used to change this time of year also ( Just never got Matted )
The Old Coat !! thanks Gillian, that was the terminology I was trying to think of when posting, but I'm back offshore and it
was my first shift = Nightshift  :tired: ( brain not working  :evillaugh: )

I'll see into getting a Matt breaker too  ;) although Olivia is brilliant when it comes to brushing, and will lie there and let
you tease out the matt's without moving  :evillaugh:

thanks again Peeps  :)
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 14:14:58 PM »
Yes, defiintely getting their winter coats! Also, dropping the old coat at a rate of knots (if you'll pardon the expression  ;)  ) which is why it seems to mat up even if you only combed recently.

Try the Mikki mat breaker http://www.surreyequestrian.co.uk/mikki-matt-breaker-with-spare-blades.html . Its meant to split mats - and it will break through areas that are slightly tangled, but not big tight mats. It is perfect though for using like a comb as it will remove all the loose undercoat which is what contributes to the matting (mixed with saliva  :sick: )

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 14:03:57 PM »
Star matted a bit when she got a bit too fat to reach her back end - not suggesting the lovely Oliva has the same problem of course  :doh: :doh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 11:26:45 AM »
Most cats get thicker coat for the winter although I dont know how much central heating stops this.

I know that my birmans when living in a garage had great big ruffs which they dont get anymore and also Misa had an enormous one when he came here cos I was slimpiming on heating and although his and Sasas coats get thicker and mor ruff than summer, nowhere near as big as it was in first year.

I am sure Gillian is the one to answer about the matting and I will be interested in this too.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
Advice on Fur Coats
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 02:21:54 AM »
of the Feline variety  ;)
maybe Gillian would have an answer ??
or anyone else with a Persian

Princess Olivia is Groomed daily, and will adjust body posture for you, Just to make sure We do a good job of it ( this includes the Tummy  :evillaugh: )
but I have recently noticed that her hind quarters are starting to matt up a wee bit " even tho they were spot on the previous brush ?"
It also seems to be feeling really thick now

question; Do Persian's get a thicker coat for winter, and does this cause the matting of fur ??
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 02:23:00 AM by Stuart ( Olivia's Butler ) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Link to CatChat