Author Topic: May need Willow's bloods done next week.  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: May need Willow's bloods done next week.
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 09:56:50 AM »
Or has she been lying near the heater/radiator in this cold weather as she may be getting thirsty from that?

During the cold snap, she started sleeping on one of the rads in the bedroom. There are 2 in the room so unless it is really cold, I just keep them on medium. She discovered her new bed in the bedroom warms up when she lies on it so hopefully she will be using that rather than the rad in future.

Anyway, she has hardly been near the drinkwell since I posted  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 22:54:48 PM »
possibly you could get her urine SG measured rather than take her in for bloods - if that's ok it's not likely to be kidneys I don't think. Would still mean a drive to the vets though. It does sound like she finds the fountain fascinating. Or has she been lying near the heater/radiator in this cold weather as she may be getting thirsty from that?

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 22:31:07 PM »
Misha is obsessed with water and her favourite place to chill is with her head over the water bowl and her chin in it - we wondered if she had a problem and had bloods and everything done on her but all came back fine and vet seems to think she is somatic about water - maybe in her previous home to us before we rescued her she wasn't given much water.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »
Well a watched pot never boils -  hopefully  :)

I have been watching her with the fountain and she has hardly been near it - so hopefully it was "new toy syndrome"  :evillaugh:

I can move on to monitoring Clapton's wees as there is never a wee smell with Cats Best but there was a strong ammonia small this morning so again, hopefully a one-off.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 14:09:19 PM »
Blip seems to be a bit of a binge-drinker - and always has been - in that I don't see her drinking for days and then she'll have a couple of big long drinks.  Always better safe than sorry, but it might be just a novelty for Willow...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 12:58:23 PM »
She has been at the fountain lots of times over the last few weeks and will even come down 2 floors to drink from it. I just wonder if she is playing. Surely if she was really thirsty she would drink from the bowl in the bedroom?

There is also a bowl of water in the hallway - as well as in the kitchen and Clapton's bedroom.

With the fountain, Kylie has always drunk from it so maybe that put Willow off previously. Since Alice moved downstairs, Kylie mainly hangs out in the kitchen or attic so maybe Willow is feeling braver?

Her coat is still very glossy and she eats although has never had much of an appetite and barely manages to keep to recommended weight - but has never been any different.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 13:02:03 PM by Mark »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 12:54:23 PM »
It's difficult to know with them sometimes isn't it?  They change their minds and move on to different things and suddenly take an interest in stuff they have previously ignored for months.  Perhaps just keep an eye on Willow for a day or two before deciding if she needs the vet?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
May need Willow's bloods done next week.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 12:49:08 PM »
I have been thinking recently that Willow had been drinking a lot and decided to keep an eye. Last night, Dennis commented on it so maybe it is an issue. Just recently, she has started drinking from the Drinkwell and I am wondering if it is more novelty than anything. She has water in a dish in the bedroom and hardly touches it. Although I wouldn't take any risks, I don't want the stress, cost, time and 10 mile drive if she sees the drinkwell as a toy.

Our tiny girl  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 12:50:34 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat