Author Topic: ear wound cleaning... help!!  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: ear wound cleaning... help!!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 18:59:20 PM »
Mild salt water is the best thing, the antibiotics will work form the inside. Hope it heals up soon

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 17:08:38 PM »
Good luck at the vets

Offline chel

• Adult Cat
    • Harrjak Pack
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 12:04:14 PM »
thank you, we arent in til half 5 this evening, its swollen along the inside edge now too, so definatly more build up, but i cant find an escape route for it to squeeze out, the out side isnt so angry looking!! he let me clean it with just warm water last night, but didnt like the hibiscrub! will ask about putting cream etc on tonight too.

hes still otherwise normal again now, he isnt sulking as much!  :thanks:
Chel

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 12:00:05 PM »
When my cat had an absess on her back the vet lanced it and I was told to keep the wound open for a week and bathe it with salt water, not very nice but it healed really well (she was very good as I thought it would sting alot).  Good luck at the vets
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 11:53:34 AM »
 :luck:  at the vets today Kipper and Chel  :hug:

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 19:12:37 PM »
If you are going back tomorrow I would leave it but make sure you ask the vet what you should be doing if anything, sounds a serious bite poor Kipper  :hug: :hug:

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 15:00:32 PM »
Poor Kipper and poor you! Salt water is normally good on wounds and if he isscratching you could you wrap him in a towel whilst you do it?  Hope it gets better soon  :hug:

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline chel

• Adult Cat
    • Harrjak Pack
ear wound cleaning... help!!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 14:38:12 PM »
hiya, kipper is my laid back boy, but friday when i came home from work i could hear some cat 'shouting' going on outside, about an hour later, kipper turned up with a nice scratched ear, and a couple of blood patches, and covered in slugs!
so i have a look and he's squaking at me and holding it sideways, my other half was working late so off i trot down to the vets to get them to have a look and get it cleaned up, anti b jab  and a clean up later, vet confirms its a bite wound, but keep it clean and it should heal just fine.

yeah right!  last night in he strolls with it oozing ( at breakfast it was looking good!) so i clean with more boiled water then some hibiscrub, but it was still really yuck, so i took him back to the vets, looks like an abcess, she's now shaved his ear, it looks awful, she thinks it will heal but be deformed now, there are 4 tooth holes that were oozing, and a slice at the base of his ear too.

my question is, how else should i help clean it? now its shaved, the bleeding stopped and now its all rock hard! ive just been using warm water, which he isnt very pleased about ( in the vets he sat like an angel!!) im covered in scratches, he sits with a hump on afterwards, but its better than him having it all build up again!!!!

any suggestions to help it?? hes now on clavaseptin aswell as his jab, and had a anti inflam jab too last night. he is back tomorrow night to have it all checked, but dont want to bemaking it worse!!!

Chel

Link to CatChat