Author Topic: FIP/Rehoming another Cat  (Read 1311 times)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
Re: FIP/Rehoming another Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 09:20:31 AM »
Bless - there is always someone who is "well meaning" I presume they are from the "other" forum?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 18:04:43 PM »
Thanks Ela, good information.  There are no other cats in the home so we should be fine.

Sheryl, yes i suspect you do know.  Just im having 'a well meaning' breeder e-mailing me at the moment and want to ensure i can respond appropriately  :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 16:00:08 PM »
FCoV does not survive very well in the environment; so it is probably safe to get another cat I would say in a month or so (FCoV may survive for several days and possibly up to 7 weeks in dried up faeces in cat litter.) so it really is necessary to thoroughly clean after the cat with FIP died. However, make sure that you disinfect the areas where most virus would occur: the litter tray and the food bowls. Clean these carefully, soak them for 15-30 minutes in a mixture of Domestos or Milton and water and rinse them thoroughly. However, if you have other cats, it will not be safe to get a new cat until you have had them antibody tested, because they may infect the new cat. For safety, your other cats should have an antibody litre of zero before you introduce a new cat. If their antibody titres are greater than zero then you should wait three lo six months, have them retested and, if most of the cats' antibody titres have fallen to zero, it should be safe to get another cat Be prepared to wait; some cats take years to become antibody negative. If there is no sign of the antibody litre dropping, or the cat continually has a positive virus test on his faeces and you are determined lo have another cat, choose one which also has an FCoV antibody titre of over ten. A cat will be less at risk of developing Fl P than a cat which has never met the virus before (though remember that the stress of re-homing could push it into developing FIP).
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 15:08:39 PM »
I think I know who you are thinking of Linda and I am sure there wont be any worries Hun x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 14:39:40 PM »
Thanks Dawn and Sheryl  :)  The trees have been treated and by the time the new arrivals go home a period of 12 weeks will have lapsed.  Saying that I think a decision has been made to dispose of the cat trees.  Just wanted to err on the side of caution.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 13:26:27 PM »
I dont think it necessary Linda but if it were me I think I would want to dispose of everything and start all nice and fresh. 
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 03:00:42 AM »
Most household disinfectants readily kill coronavirus immediately. Room temperature kills coronavirus within 48 hours. Carpeting is protective to the virus and the virus is able to survive in carpeting for at least 7 weeks.  If this is the case then I would say that that would apply to furniture such as cat trees but by the same token FIP isn't actually contagious.  If the person is worried, I would either dispose of the cat tree or keep it in another room for 7 weeks and treat the same as carpeting.

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
FIP/Rehoming another Cat
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 01:33:50 AM »
My question is this, when someone has had a cat/kitten with FIP in their household should everything with the exception of 'washable surfaces' be disposed of?  One example being cat trees?
I'm clear on the timelines and the cleaning process required thanks.

Just to be clear i dont have a cat/kitten with FIP in my household.  Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 02:05:39 AM by Linda (Bengalbabe) »

Link to CatChat