Author Topic: Territorial battle - Should we intervene?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Gatos

• Adult Cat
Re: Territorial battle - Should we intervene?
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 16:53:05 PM »
Update:

Big Hairy Cat came into the house this week and stuck his head 'round the bedroom door where my wife was stroking Lady Cat.  Wife said 'Get Out' to Big Hairy Cat, who duly obliged.  Lady Cat didn't bat an eyelid and Bloke Cat ran up the attic stairs and stayed there for half an hour.

My wife gave Big Hairy Cat a squirt with water just to emphasise 'This is OUR House!'

G.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 16:57:36 PM by Gatos »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." ~ Albert Schweitzer

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 16:42:16 PM »
Very sad and maybe he doesnt have a home cept your garden and where ever he hunts for food.

cats are smart and when they find a house with cats they know there is also food.

is he approachable, if so you could put a paper collar on him asking does he have a home?

Sorry I dont know the answer about your cats and I had a vicious cat who used to come into my garden and also through the flap for food but I knew who owned her and she often was staying next door, when owners were away and the best I could do was try to help my cats.

She would attack anybody except her owners and would bite the hand that fed her, was pretty but scarey and because I knew she lived a few door up, I didnt feel gulity about making her leave the garden.

However had she been a stray with no home that would have been different and much more of a problem.

Offline Gatos

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 16:35:34 PM »
Quote from: Gill
I wonder if it has been his terrotory for a long time because if so the habbit maybe hard for him to break and I wonder if he is neutered. Do you know who owns him?

I think you're right - I get the impression that he's been around for a while.  No collar or ID on him, so no idea where he calls home.  Obviously, I don't want to hurt him physically - I just want to give our guys a bit of support - so they can establish their bit of territory outside the house.  Our girl stands up to him by hissing and growling, but the boy just runs away and hides in the attic.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 16:36:56 PM by Gatos »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." ~ Albert Schweitzer

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 16:29:28 PM »
Hmmm in that case you are going to have to watch out for them until they establish it as their territory.

I wonder if it has been his terrotory for a long time because if so the habbit maybe hard for him to break and I wonder if he is neutered. Do you know who owns him?

Offline Gatos

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 16:27:12 PM »
Have your kits been neutered/Spayed? If the big guy meets unneutered males or females, that could be why he is being aggressive?

Hi Mojo,

Yes, the boy has been neutered and the girl spayed.  Both just over a year old.

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 16:22:59 PM »
Have your kits been neutered/Spayed? If the big guy meets unneutered males or females, that could be why he is being aggressive?

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Gatos

• Adult Cat
Territorial battle - Should we intervene?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 16:09:06 PM »
Hi all,

Our 2 cats have started going outside now that they've had their vaccinations.  We keep then in at night, and they are only out when we're in the house.

Our garden appears to belong to a large, black longhair who has come into our house and caused a fight on a few occasions.  I gave the big guy a blast of water in the face the last time he came calling, and he hasn't been in the house since.

Is there any way we can help our cats establish our garden and decking as their territory, or should we let cat politics take it's course?  The long hair is vicious - I'm worried someone gets hurt, or our cats get stressed.  They don't seem too keen to slug it out with the big guy - I don't blame them, he's HUGE! >:(

Any advice?

Thanks!

G

Link to CatChat