Author Topic: Confused by update from vet  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Confused by update from vet
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 00:46:56 AM »
Could be the dog food but more likely some little infection.

Hope he is feeling well enough to come home and nothing srious  :hug:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 15:11:34 PM »
Dry dog food?  Well Frodo has been teaching him a trick or two it seems?? :rofl:  Just found this thread but I am glad Arwyn is feeling better... perhaps a bit of a stomach flu, hope it has passed by now whatever the problem that was!!  Fingers and toes and paws crossed from here, too!! xxx

Offline Frodocat

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 10:53:41 AM »
Just a quick update. I spoke to the vet this morning and Arwyn is doing much better. He's eating, drinking and passing gas like you wouldn't believe  :rofl:
They don't really know what caused the gas build up as there doesn't appear to have been any blockage, so it could just have been something he ate (he did get into the dry dog food on Friday) We're now just waiting for the blood results to come back, hopefully this afternoon, so we can bring him home. Fingers crossed they'll come back clear.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 17:59:09 PM »
As someone who has been fobbed off by receptionists and nurses etc and knows how it feels, I would say keep at the vet until he or she explains it all to you fully, both before and after the test results. I  hope it's something that they can find a good solution to and take care of yourself tonight, worrying about Arwyn. Sounds like you'll have to make an appointment to collect him, so hopefully the vet will explain it all to you with the results then as well.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 17:15:08 PM »
I would phone the vet again and ask him to be a bit more specific (if he can at this stage of course) about what could be wrong and what they are testing the bloods for. Say you want to speak to the vet who is treating your cat - you are perfectly entitled to ask for more info, and if your vet isnt there, ask to be called back, most vets will be fine with this. Hope all is ok with Arwyn  :hug:

Offline Frodocat

• Kitten
Confused by update from vet
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 15:00:52 PM »
My one year old male cat Arwyn had to stay at the vets last night after being unwell over the weekend. He's been vomiting and had diarrhoea and has been off his food and very lethargic/hiding.
He got an antibiotic injection on Monday but showed no improvement, so they decided yesterday to keep him in and do x-rays/blood tests and so on.

When I phoned this afternoon to see how he is, they explained that the x-ray showed he has a lot of gas in his stomach. They've also taken bloods and have sent these to an outside lab for testing, so we'll have to wait a couple of days for results. Other than that I've been given very little information, other than they're putting him on a drip later and are waiting to see if he passes anything (maybe some sort of blockage?) and to phone back at 10am tomorrow.

I'm panicking now and imagining all sorts. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this gas build up in his stomach?

Link to CatChat