Author Topic: Ear cleaning under anaesthesia  (Read 1330 times)

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
Re: Ear cleaning under anaesthesia
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 14:58:38 PM »
Well he was hungry as a horse last night.  The vet said no food until today but I gave a bit - I seem to remember that when he had his last dental he had food on the same day.  He has slept most of today and I know how he feels - I could do the same.  Sadly he doesn't trust me yet.  He's all over his daddy with love and affection but eyes me with great suspicion.  He's obviously worried that I'll bundle him off to the vets again.  If only he knew - thats the LAST thing i want to do.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 09:14:49 AM »
Sounds horrible - poor Korky  :ahh:

He should be feeling a lot better now  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 07:45:54 AM »
Glad everything went well
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 22:47:06 PM »
Poor Korky  :hug:  He'll feel so much better now, give him a gentle healing head kiss from me and the boys  :care:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 22:06:56 PM »
So glad he's ok  :hug:

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 20:38:37 PM »
He's home and he's absolutely fine  :)  The vet showed us a jet black mass about one and a half inches by half an inch that he had taken out of his right ear.  If you imagine a liquorice sweet that has been kicking around in a pocket without wrapper for months then that's what it looked like.  Ughh - he must feel better without it.  Thank goodness I can relax now  :tired:

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 10:00:20 AM »
Thanks for that Helen.  I'm beside myself with worry.  I almost bottled out and didn't take him but then he started shaking his head and scratching again so I realised something had to be done  I'm sure they're very efficient but I miss the friendliness of the vet nurses at home who always make a fuss of Korky and have reassuring words for me.  Here they didn't even ask his name (I told them of course and I wrote it down for them) and they didn't check with me to make sure that he had been starved (which of course he has).   Roll on this afternoon.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 00:00:33 AM »
Sorry I have no idea what the op involves but just wanted to send Korky and you my best healing vibes  :hug:

• Royal Cat
Ear cleaning under anaesthesia
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 16:42:49 PM »
Korky has been flattening his right ear down then scratching it and shaking his head a lot.  When he shakes it makes a rattling noise.  It is clearly distressing him so I took him to the vet who examined him and said there is a lot of muck in his ear which probably goes beyond tyhe external ear and he is going to clean it out under anaesthetic tomorrow.    There are loads of questions I want to ask but you know what its like when you are in the vets - your mind goes blank.  Its doubly problematic because we are in France and my French isn't up to anything complicated and the vets English is about as good as my French.  Does anybody have any experience of this procedure?  What do they do?  Is it suction or do they poke around.  Will it leave him feeling dizzy or in pain?  The vet didn't really tell me much (probably because of the language problem) and I was more concerned with making sure he understood that Korky has CRF and will need the safest anaesthetic and IV fluids during the procedure to think of anything else.  I am sooooooo worried.  I hope the vet knows what he's doing.  He didn't even ask Korky's age.  I'm going to write out a sheet with his name, age and medical conditions on it (I have copies of his most recent blood tests).  Is there anything else I should be doing?  Positive vibes would be very much appreciated.

Link to CatChat