Author Topic: How can I encourage my tom cat to have cuddles  (Read 1286 times)

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
  • Ronnie, Freya, Olly and Mickey!
Re: How can I encourage my tom cat to have cuddles
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 16:32:53 PM »
 :rofl:  Luv the photo of Pharoah in the cooking pot!

I would advise leaving him to set the pace as he's still very young and is enjoying his independence. Maybe when he's older he'll want to sit on your knee, maybe not. It's nothing personal  ;) :evillaugh:

It was six years before one of my cats started to sit on my knee but I never forced the issue and left her to decide. Once she started sitting on me, it became a regular thing and sometimes I couldn't move for fear of waking her and my other cat (sad, I know!  :innocent:)

Just be happy in the knowledge that you've given a loving home to two strays and a rescue cat.  :Luv:

Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

"I purr, therefore I am."

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 12:00:23 PM »
phoenix my female hates been picked up she always runs away if you try but now and again she will come and sit on me on the sofa it's taken a year to get her this far but know she will roll over if she sees you she loves her tummy rubs. these things take time be patient

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 13:05:45 PM »
He's still very young so probably thinks he has better things to do with his time than cuddle.  Let him come to you and don't try and force the issues.  My Guinness was never a cuddle cat and with Charlie it has to be in his time and on his terms or beware the claws come out

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 12:55:43 PM »
Hi Annettemarie  :welcome: to Purrs.

How long have you had him hun? It may take him a while to get used to being handled. Some cats never like to be picked up but a lot will take to a good snuggle given time.

The lady who runs the shelter I volunteer at picks all the cats up and puts them over her shoulder. As a result you get cat lauching themselves at you when you least expect it. Some of these cats were brought in supposedly as ferals but they all love a good bit of fuss.

Keep trying but it may be that he's just a free spirit. Enjoy his other qualities, he's adorable.

Oooh one more thing. We demand more pictures, lots of pictures! Of all of your cats too. One cat in a cooking pot simply isn't enough  :evillaugh:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline annettemarie

• Adult Cat
  • My darling Crookie
How can I encourage my tom cat to have cuddles
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:50:36 AM »
Hi there, I've got a lovely rescue cat called Pharaoh.  Hes a neutered Tom and he is 8 months old.  Hes a poppet, but very independant and one more thing, hes a Scottish Wildcat Hybrid.  We think one of his grandparents was a wildcat, his markings are amazing.

The only problem I have is he doesn't like cuddles.  I have tried all sorts to feeding him on my lap, to singing to him, but he just growls at me and wants to get down.  He does occasionally let me put him on my lap but I have to wait till hes asleep and is a bit dozy.

I've got two old female cats too, and they were both strays when I got them, and they're not really lap cats either. 

Any advise gratefully received.

Many thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat