Author Topic: How do I stop her licking a scratch?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: How do I stop her licking a scratch?
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 00:41:47 AM »
I'm having this problem with Becky at the moment, she has made a nice mess of herself but mainly her neck area.  I have ordered her some soft claws and hopefully these will do the trick  ;)  She is due to be spayed on Thursday and these will be fitted on her back feet at the same time, they are meant to be easy to put on and apparently after a few minutes, they don't even notice them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300210067443&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=300208659318&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CategoryProximity&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=its%3DS%252BI%252BSS

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 00:05:50 AM »
I would keep clean using warm water with salt in it.

I am also confused that the vet hasnt offered more assistance.

If the collar isnt helping any longer, I would take it off cos it will just make her feel so much more stressed.

if the wounds are not getting better then I would be tempted to get a second opinion.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 23:09:32 PM »
I'm surprised the vet hasn't suggested something as 3 weeks is such a long time to have a collar on  :(

Maybe some healing ointment might help?
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=740&zenid=733ae196541050a3cfd8026b37081582
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
How do I stop her licking a scratch?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 17:44:25 PM »
As some of you may know by now, I took my rescue cat to the vets about 4 weeks ago with some strange wounds which she'd had since I got her.  The CP thought they were from a vicious mating which fits where they are.  The vet put Lily on antibiotics for the past 4 weeks and for the last 3 weeks she's had a buster collar on to stop her licking them.  This has worked for the ones on her belly, they've almost gone but she can still scratch the one on the back of her neck with her back leg claws.  Also she has a couple of scratches on one back leg from trying to escape the vet when she was microchipped, she can reach these even with the collar on.  I've tried her with a bigger collar but it's very hard for her to manover with it on so I'd rather not go down that route again.  At the moment I'm keeping an eye on her and stopping her licking and scratching when I can but I obviously can't watch her 24/7.  I'm also bathing them with cooled boiled water and putting aloe vera gel on them to keep them clean and stop them itching too much.  Does anyone have any other ideas to stop her licking/scratching them?  I really want to get this collar off her ASAP as she's a changed cat with it on, much more timid and very clumsy.

Link to CatChat