Author Topic: Introducing a 14 week old kitten to an 8 month old...  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Introducing a 14 week old kitten to an 8 month old...
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 19:39:38 PM »
Forgot to say ... hope it all goes well at the vet and of course we will be expecting lots of pics fo the newbie  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Steve1977

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 19:35:55 PM »
Cheers guys!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 19:21:30 PM »
I usually recommend having a look at wizz's site and following the advice ...http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/introducing.html

of course when I introduced a new 6 month kitten to my two 6 year olds  I didn't follow any of the advice and simply opened the the carrier and let Rossi (the kitten) out!   There was no hissing, no fighting and basically no trouble at all.  But Rossi was a bolshy little madam and had no intention of being intimidated by Zephyr.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 19:07:56 PM »
i always recommend gradual introductions.
Please spay your cat

Offline Steve1977

• Adult Cat
Introducing a 14 week old kitten to an 8 month old...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 19:05:05 PM »
Hopefully, barring any catastrophey at the vets on Monday, we should be getting a companion for us and our lovely cat Saffi (if there's anything majorly wrong then we will have to decline because we dont want to risk anything happening to our existing cat.

With regards to introducing them, we were told to put them in different rooms and get the new cat to be comfortable around us first. Now we'r not going to move our existing cat into another room because it would confuse her so this is what we plan to do...

Keep the new kitten upstairs complete with litter tray, toys etc. and keep our existing kitten downstairs. Once the new kitten has overcome any nerves (if any!) we will then introduce them but this is where im a little confused...would we just open the doors and see who inspects who first? Or actually put the new kitten downstairs? Mixing the normal litter with a bit from the new cats.

Or...shall we just open the carrier in our kitchen which has everything our current cat has (food, litter tray etc.) and see if there's any malice?

Im thinking the first way will be the better if im honest, but I would appreciate any advice! Our potential new kitten has had about 4 homes so far and is a bit scared (seemingly) but when we saw him he was very affectionate and loved having his belly rubbed! Just want to get some advice from the people who know!

Link to CatChat