Author Topic: Damage following car accident - Cross Posted from CatChat  (Read 1314 times)

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Re: Damage following car accident - Cross Posted from CatChat
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 22:55:01 PM »
Just to say i am so sorry about Molly and i dont know if this helps my cat Piccolo was in a RTA 12 years ago and broke her pelvis, there was no damage to her tail or any other part but she was paralysed from waist down, it happened around midnight so i had to rush her to medivet 24 hours emergency and they operated on her once she came out of shock, she was looked after by them for almost 2 weeks and then i was told she might not be able to walk ever again and the question of quality of life? I decided to keep her since she was young like Molly and give her more time once she came home i still had to take her to the vets once a day to help  empty her bladder and then they show me how to help her to go to toilet , i am sure your vet can show you as well once Molly is ready, but basicly it was just wait and see . The RTA happened in september and by end of october Piccolo was up and walking and going to toilet by her self. You mentioned they took quite a bit of muscle away i dont know how that effects her but ten days is too soon to see any improvements. I wish Molly and you best of luck. She sounds like a little fighter ,so my advice is be patient and hopefully she will manage to go to toilet by herself soon. :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 21:38:39 PM »
I know which one you mean Gill ... It was Suzi and her cat Bailey.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 21:32:16 PM »
So very sad.

I know that someone here hads a cat in a rta with lots of tail damage but dont think it was as severe as this cat sounds

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Damage following car accident - Cross Posted from CatChat
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 21:27:14 PM »
I saw this post on CC and wondered if anyone can give any advice;

Hi all - My 1.5 year old little Molly was in a car accident ten days ago. She suffered broken pelvis, anaemia (critical at one point), paralysed tail and some wounds...lots of damage to the back end and none to the front.
She's had her tail removed but no stump at all has been left because there was so much damage to the muscle around where the tail bone break was...they've had to take quite a bit of the muscle away.
She's currently doing really quite well except that she hasn't been to the toilet of her own accord since the accident. The vet's having to empty her bladder for her twice a day.
Apparently it's just a case of watch & wait to see if she regains control and starts to pass faeces and urine herself. Has anyone had any experience of this? She's fought so well so far and just has this last, large hurdle to go. I really hope she can make it. Your advice would be appreciated.

http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/18/73515.html?1205442740
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Link to CatChat