Author Topic: Jumpy back on meds!  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Jumpy back on meds!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 12:36:50 PM »
Jumpy is very handsome and the new vet sounds much more a animal person which is great  ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 12:31:59 PM »
Glad you have got something sorted for him, and are happier with the vets.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 12:23:59 PM »
Thats great you have found a happy medium  ;D

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 10:05:33 AM »
Oh what a sweet boy, he's lovely! I hope you have more luck with the new vet - sounds positive. Good luck to the Jumpster!  If he twigs about the meds in gravy, can you mix it with gravy and syringe it down him? If you get good at it, they don't like it but it's over in a split second. I find just between them being asleep and fully awake is best. (says she who got green goo vits all over herself yesterday  :evillaugh:).

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:02:04 AM »
That's good news for Jumpy.  It's a great feeling when you fool them into taking their meds in the gravy isn't it?  I used to do it with my Dragan with his Lactulose.

Glad you have a new vet who seems more caring though have to admit I am with Companion Care and they have, so far, been brilliant with Charlie.  However I have absolutely no compunction in changing vets if I feel they are not giving my cat the care package they deserve.

Hope Jumpy continues to be well

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Jumpy back on meds!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 08:53:02 AM »
Folks

For those that forgot/never knew, my Jumpy has a heart condition. Last summer, he went on 4 tablets a day of Hypercard and 1 of Fruscare. He took them like a good little soldier for about 3 months, then refused flat. I tried every trick in the book and he wouldn't play ball. So rather than force him, I plain gave up. I couldn't face him spending his final weeks hating me and thinking every time I went near him, i was going to force his mouth open.  :(

So...

I've become really impressed with one of the CP vets I use to take my ferals to. He's a one man band and although he does have part-timers, he and his wife seem to do most of the work themselves. Even though these cats and kittens don't have an owner and won't be a future source of income for him, nothing is too good for them. I decided to move Jumpy's care to him from Companion Care - who gave me the impression they were only after my cash, and weren't interested in talking about Jumpy's refusal to take his meds. All they keep saying to me was "he has to have them!"  >:(

So new vet Uncle Rob gave the Jumpster a once over. Although he is now in heart failure, Rob feels we can improve his situation to some extent and Jumpy might even be fit enough to take an anaesthetic to have his gnashers polished, which he could do with.  :sick: He is now on 1 tablet of Fortekor a day and much easier to sneek up on him and pop one down when he's half asleep.   :sneaky: He also has to have a liquid - Frusco. 1.5mills twice a day. The Jumpster loves Whiskas chicken in gravy, but he's a  :censored: and always licks all the gravy up and leaves the meat.  :tired: So he now has his Frusco mixed with the gravy and he hasn't twigged yet!  :wow: It's awful gloating because I've got one over on him...  :rofl:

He is now peeing like Niagra and I think his lungs are starting to clear.  :) Rob and I talked about what kind of thing to expect at the end and Rob tells me it could be quite sudden. But he does have other patients who were/are as severe as Jumpy and they are still charging around like Rhinos 2 years later. One thing we are aiming for, though, is that Jumpy's demise will be on our terms.  8)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat