Author Topic: Fleas - where can they live?  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Fleas - where can they live?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 20:08:59 PM »
You are right Garfield and they can be there for years.

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 18:20:00 PM »
i don't know how true this is but i was told that flea eggs can hibernate in dust, carpets, fibres (such as blankets and duvets) and will become active when they are disturbed.

mental note: must do some research as well! i'm Curious!  ;)
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 17:27:40 PM »
True, that could be the case Ela. It just seems quite a coincidence that a pile of rubbish appears then literally days after so do some fleas.

Thanks for answering. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 13:48:37 PM »
Fleas like to live anywhere it is warm  old furniture, old mattresses, bedding, would be ideal. I would imagine there may be the odd warm place for the flea to hide. Then again it is just s likely that you could have brought a flea in, you could be just standing next to someone in a shop who has fleas in there house and they have passed one on to you and in turn you have passed it on to the little one.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Fleas - where can they live?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »
Reason I'm asking is that our garden backs onto another row of houses gardens - which is usually a good thing. (Two whole streets worth of gardens to galavant in for my mob!) But the garden that backs onto ours has had a pile of rubbish on it for months now.  >:( Not only does it look unsightly when we look out the window upstairs it must be harbouring all sorts of horrible heebie jeebies!

There's old furniture, old mattresses, bedding, and according to my partner bin bags full of household rubbish.  :sick: I'm wondering if the few fleas that I found on Little Junkie recently are from him wandering about on this particular garden. (The house and cats have been flead since the discovery of fleas, by the way!)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:48:20 AM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Link to CatChat