Author Topic: How do I entertain my injured cat  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: How do I entertain my injured cat
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 02:03:47 AM »
So pleased that his tail is showing signs of improvement  ;D

He is brave isnt he  :hug: :hug:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 23:43:26 PM »
 :Luv2:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 21:55:25 PM »
Here's the brave little soldier himself  :Luv2:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 22:22:33 PM »
Good news. Let's hope Charlie continues to get better.
I can't put pictures on direct from my phone due to the size. I have to upload from a computer.

Offline Jules5645

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Charlie
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 22:02:52 PM »
Hi all
Thanks again for the responses they have all helped keep my spirits up at a really stressful time.  Charlie is a bit fed up but coping better than I thought he would.  We have had a few mishaps as we both get used to his limitations but the good news is that his tail is showing signs of improvement and the vet gives it an 85% chance of full recovery.  He goes to half a cast on 2nd jan which will make him more mobile and I am feeling a lot more positive than I did a few days ago.

And for all those asking for pics I KEEP TRYING!!!! But it just says the content is too big and crashes me out 😁

Merry Christmas to everybody x

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
I know what you mean about a safe kitchen (don't ask me how this has happened but my two know that kitchen work tops are bad but utility one is ok to jump on) but the main thing he needs to do is rest up to give him a chance to heal properly.
I'd definitely go for things like treat balls and catnip toys.
Sounds like he has loads of love and attention though which will do him the world of good.   

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 01:25:32 AM »
Plenty of helpful advice given so far  ;) typical of Purrs People  :evillaugh:

I don't have anything to add, just wanted to say " Poor Charlie  :( " and some  :hug: for you
and wish Charlie boy a speedy recovery

and, Oh yes :need pics:

:evillaugh:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:26:43 AM by Stuart »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 01:16:49 AM »
I am really touched with the response so thanks to everyone. 
[/color]

We're not always right but we can all give our opinions and sometimes someone hits the nail on the head.

I wouldn't worry about the Dreamies not being eaten - not ALL cats like them - hard to believe I know  :wow: ;)  My Smudge R.I.P. would never touch any cat treats.

Good luck.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 14:49:01 PM »
I am surprised that your vet did not mention cage rest until the cast comes off cos thats too much strain on him to be freely moving around.

I would recommend a large dog cage with him being allowd out for short periods of supervised time. Toys in the cage, dangling or free plus litter tray food and water.

I think it sounds like his tail will recover and he has been soooo lucky  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 23:32:28 PM »
I was thinking 'worktops' when I mentioned getting a crate as couldn't understand how on earth a kitchen could be safe... until you just  posted then I realised you obviously have a well trained and well behaved cat who doesn't go on the worktops - if only!

Hope the next 6 weeks or so fly by, you must be so thankful that he managed to make it home  :hug:

Offline Jules5645

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 23:19:17 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and advice.  Have had a first evening with Charlie home and he has fortunately just dozed which has been less stressful for both of us.  I have first hand proof that he thinks he can still jump because when I first got him home I laid him on the bed where he has spent plenty of hours sleeping peacefully and literally a second of lack of attention and he decided to roll towards the edge and jump off.  As you can imagine he landed with a thump and a squeal of pain that did neither of us any good!  I learnt my lesson and he spent the next couple of hours safely in the kitchen.  I let him out for a while and he dozed in the chair while I watched tv which was nice.  I have thought about getting a cage but to be honest there is nothing in the kitchen that can hurt him and its nice he has some space.  The only area he has any possibility of jumping onto is the work surfaces and he was taught from an early age not to do that.  I have even tested it out by leaving a pile of dreamies when I've gone to work and they are still there when I get back.

I will however take the advice to cover the cat flap as he spent a long time mournfully looking out then looking at me in turn.  I honestly thought it would be nice for him to be able to watch the world go by outside but clearly not!

I am really touched with the response so thanks to everyone.  Hopefully I will feel more positive and up for the challenge in the morning.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 23:00:09 PM »
Poor Charlie :care: I think I would definitely keep him in a crate whilst you're not there to supervise as he won't understand that he's not meant to be jumping! Have you got an iPad or a tablet? I think you can get games for cats on them (I kid you not!), no good for when you're out but it's something to entertain him when you're home without him being too physical as he can do a bit of paw tapping with his front paws and leave the poorly back ones to rest.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 22:07:41 PM »
How about those DVDs you can get for cats. Maybe you could set him up a platform or a table with his cage near the window. How about a bird feeder attached to the window. I try to give my indoor cats lots of things to interest them. Would he be able to use a treat balls or the special feeders that they have to dab food out of. I also give my cats wheat grass that I grow for them and buy good quality cat nip or cat nip toys like the ones you get from the Purrs shop.   

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 21:34:15 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs and so sorry about your Charlie.  I can understand you being in tears  :hug:

But the good news is that he survived and your gonna have many happy years together  :Luv2: :hug:

I don't have any experience but I'm sure if he's warm and well fed he might just sleep most of the time you're at work.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 19:12:54 PM »
Welcome to Purrs sorry about your boy

I have had two hit by cars one ended up loosing his tail and he had a 1 inch perfect tabby stump, he spent 4 weeks on cage rest but kept trashing the crate so we sought  vets advice and let him out his biggest problem was he was feral but he jumped with the best and never affected his hunting abilities fortunately by the time he became diabetic he was a nicely reformed forer feral called Tiger or rumpy Stumpy

My second Puma was hit by a car and had the full metal fixator treatment and spent 10 weeks in a kitten pen lined with perspex to stop the fixator being caught on the bars

I would get a dog crate so when you are out he can be confined because they will try to jump and no doubt he is on Metacam for pain relief so they think they are fine - in a large dog crate you can get a bed, grit box and food and suggest a clip on water bowl as they do tend to be a bit clumsy

I used catnip and Valarian toys and things with bells on - we have a small kitten post with bells and balls and it kept them interested and active, he will also sleep a lot once the vets pain meds decrease and you are in charge of the metacam, my advice also cover the flap completely he will keep trying to get out because he can see it - I used carboard taped over the one that is on our dog run ( came with the house) to stop my Border Collies sticking their heads out of it!!

Good luck and we need a photo feel free to pm me if you need to talk further
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Jules5645

• Kitten
How do I entertain my injured cat
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 18:29:39 PM »
My 16 month old cat Charlie was hit by a car last Saturday but managed to get himself home and call out to me.  He has been at the vets since and I have picked him up this afternoon with a full cast on his left hind leg and bad swelling to his right rear paw.  He also has an injured tail that just droops down and is very sore (fortunately not broken).   I have gutted my kitchen so that he literally has nowhere to jump and harm himself but am facing the task of looking after for him for 6-8 weeks when already he is scraping at the cat flap.  I have had my tears because he looks so confused and bewildered and I know I need to give him time and space.  However, he is facing a long time incapacitated and wondered if anybody has any suggestions about how I can keep him stimulated especially when I am at work.

Also he has 6 weeks to get some movement in his tail or it will have to be amputated.  Has anybody any experience as to how likely it will recover (he is peeing fine so vet thinks no major neuro damage) and if he does have to have it taken off is he going to be able to lead a normal life without it.

As you can imagine I am devastated and at the moment sick with worry as its my first ever cat and I have no experience of dealing with a sick animal. 😥

Link to CatChat