Author Topic: For a puuurectly happy & Safe Xmas...  (Read 1443 times)

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
Re: For a puuurectly happy & Safe Xmas...
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 00:09:58 AM »
Good advice but skip the Orange writing Very Hard To Read

Frontlined mary tonight instead of spending the next few days sprinting at the sight of me she just darted off and lay on the couch arm  ;D
which is a huge improvement  :Luv:  Might even have a pop at her claws again next week  :evillaugh: 

Gave her some tuna a late play with da birdy and alls well 

Talking about xmas.
I can recommend the purnip bones from the paws shop opened it up when it came today and put it down on the side unit and went to fetch the birdy rod as i was going to attach it to the rod. 

In flash mary had picked up the bone and was playing with it on the other side of the room which then had me dashing towards her as the pin was still in the bone we then had a tug of war with her new toy so i could get the pin out.

Anyway no harm done in the end and she has not left it alone for more than 5 min all day   this compared to the wiggly wagler , feather bower, balls fury mice etc etc she just steps over

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 15:19:35 PM »
Yeah im sure everyone already knows all of this but I thought newbies may not & its better to be safe than sorry ! ..

;D

Absolutely - and it can be all too easy to forget what seem like "small" details when the holiday period begins in ernest ;)

Just to add - if, like us, you buy your tree primarily as a feline entertainment device, or fully expect them to assume you did, it is worth getting a species of tree with "soft" needles. A lot of the ones that are designed to "live" longer indoors tend to have broader, softer needles anyway, but there's a range of tree specoes available, and most suupilers will be able to tell you which have softer needles and are safer for pets.

;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 14:15:49 PM »
Great post Lisa , its always good to have a reminder at this time of year  ;D

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 13:44:45 PM »
Cheers Lisa  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 13:44:26 PM »
Good advice, and excellent timing.
Please spay your cat

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 11:52:11 AM »
Yeah im sure everyone already knows all of this but I thought newbies may not & its better to be safe than sorry ! ..

;D

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 11:46:44 AM »
great advice, Lisa  ;) while I'm sure most people here are used to orchestrating a feline-friendly christmas, it's always good to be reminded that there are key things every meowmy needs to consider in the hectic build-up to the big day.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
For a puuurectly happy & Safe Xmas...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 11:39:04 AM »
Just had this through on email & thought it would be of use posted here -

Make Sure your pets are safe this Christmas . .

Cats are generally more nervous and suspicious of new people than dogs.  Your cat may well not be used to having lots of friends, family and younger people in their house so extra care needs to be taken to ensure they are able to escape the noise and festivities if things get too much.  Keep a room available that your cat can hide in if it needs to get away.  Ideally this room should have something they can hide safely behind or under e.g. a bed.  Quietly check on your cat regularly to ensure they are okay and make sure they have access to a litter tray and food. 
No child should be allowed to harass your cat or pick them up without supervision.  This will prevent your cat biting or scratching the child and also ensure the cat is not accidentally dropped or hurt.
The Christmas tree: This is an important focus point of any family Christmas but remember that if you have a real tree the needles are likely to drop.  These can be very sharp and can easily get stuck in pads or throats. It is advisable to secure your tree well to make sure it cannot fall over if an excitable cat decides to swing on it.
Decorations:  Tree decorations in particular can be intriguing for pets.  Ensure that decorations will not break into small sharp pieces or, if they are swallowed, will not cause a medical emergency.
Holly, mistletoe (especially the berries) and yew are poisonous to pets and can be extremely dangerous.  Poinsettias look very pretty but are highly toxic to cats so keep these well out of the way.  Lilies and their pollen are also highly toxic to cats and should be avoided – even the pollen, if ingested while your cat is grooming, can cause toxicity.
Balloons, Christmas crackers and poppers are all very noisy and may cause fear in your cat.  Ensure your pet is kept away from these noises to prevent panic.
If you have a particularly nervous and timid cat, it may be worth investing in a feliway diffuser.  This is a plug in pheromone that can help pacify cats in stressful situations.
Your cat is likely to hide if there are lots of people or noise around the house at Christmas.  Give them time and encouragement and they will hopefully venture out and be included so they too can enjoy the Christmas festivities.  Take the opportunity to encourage your cat to play using toys such as those from the ‘Dr Noys’ range.  If your cat is nervous and hides away, make sure they either have access to the outside to toilet or the use of a clean litter tray.

We all like to spoil our cats with presents at Christmas, as well as there being lots of novel gifts available, it’s an ideal opportunity to spoil your friend with a new cosy bed, fun toys or collar (always ensure the collar is quick releasing in case they become caught).   

Link to CatChat