Author Topic: Cats killed on roads  (Read 2752 times)

Offline dizziblonde

• Adult Cat
Re: Cats killed on roads
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 19:07:51 PM »
Oh not only did he bite her - he also bit her as his parting shot and the wound got infected and her finger ended up twice its normal size.

I think that one was the final score of Smirnoff (yes I named that one as an 18 year old when he moved in one day and his "owners" moved house leaving him) 1, mother 0.

We can smile about it now - at the time (and at the time of the vets bill) it was horrific!

Offline shirleyp01

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: sammy and abbie
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 16:54:30 PM »
Hi Dizziblonde, i dont know if you set out to make me laugh but it certainly worked, I am glad that your mums cat lived to a ripe old age. But they never forget.

Offline dizziblonde

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 09:35:55 AM »
My mum actually ran over her own cat at one point - she lives down an unlit track, and a black cat at night who refuses to wear a collar (you try - he'd be naked by morning) isn't the most visible thing in the world. Thankfully it was a very slow speed collision anyway with the state of the dirt track and with about half a tonne of metalwork implants in his leg he survived and only died of old age last summer - but by heck he never forgave her for it and relentlessly sided with my step-father for the rest of his days. His last act on this earth before he died was to bite her - talk about a grudge!

Offline Helen M

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bobby & Beau (Dolly RIP)
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 21:14:33 PM »
Yes I agree that there are people who speed down country lanes but I live at the end of an unadopted road, the only people coming up are coming to me. I know that I am lucky and so are my cats.
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 12:49:10 PM »
Statistically, it's shown that country roads are as much a risk as busy main roads. It's (I think) to do with people assuming they'll be no other traffic and not thinking any further than that.

From my experience, sadly I would agree, having had two killed within yards of my home  :( . I was hoping my current two would be indoor cats, but they had other ideas, so now I worry for the few hours a day they are out.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 11:41:25 AM »
Statistically, it's shown that country roads are as much a risk as busy main roads. It's (I think) to do with people assuming they'll be no other traffic and not thinking any further than that.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Helen M

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bobby & Beau (Dolly RIP)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 10:19:27 AM »
I am lucky having fields around me, :catlove2: but do worry for cats living near busy roads, and wish they all could have their freedom to roam safely. Well done for stopping and helping.

I always remember the driving lesson I had when I did an emergency stop because a cat dashed across the road infront of me. The driving instructor asked me why I had stoped and I said because of the cat. He said if i caused an accident because of stopping for a cat it would be my fault as cats have no legal protection but I should always say it was a dog as they are protected at law :Crazy: and any accident would then not be my fault!!!!!!!!

Also if your cat is missing I do know that my local council keep a  note of the decription of cats whose bodies they recover form the roadside.
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 09:55:44 AM »
There are just too many babes who die on the roads. So much pain i will never forgot for each one of my lads  :'( :'(

I so wish there was a way to let them have some freedom and some safety.

Sending love to all of you out there with rta cats  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 07:39:02 AM »
 :( :(

Sorry to hear that Lesley  :hug: :hug:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 00:28:13 AM »
Had someone come in to work today with a cat they had seen at the side of the road.  They couldn't just leave it there and bought it in to us.  We scanned her and she had a chip and turned out to be one of our clients.  The owner was able to come and collect their beloved pet.

My next client after that had phoned to say they were rushing their cat in because he had just collapsed.  When they arrived they said he had died on the way in.  Lovely old man, FIV+ and diabetic, who had been well loved.

Next client in with the vet was another cat who had to put to sleep :'(

Not a very good day at work today.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 22:13:18 PM »
One time I was travelling in a car that hit a cat I made the driver stop and with that a taxi also ran over it and never stopped. The cat was in the middle of a main road but I just ran out and picked it up making traffic stop.  I knew it was hurt badly and rushed it straight to a vets and then notified the local cat tracing phone number.

Unfortunately the cat never made it and by the time we got it to the vets and the vet was looking at the cat he took his last breathe.  I was too upset to go into work that night and should not of been in at work but had a phone call asking me to go in as some one had not turned up for work.

About a week after I was just going to bed after a night shift when I heard a knock at the door and the owner of the cat had come with a bunch of flowers and a box of chocolates to say thank you for caring enough to try and get it medical help immediately and for letting people know so at least she could know what had happened to her cat and she could have closure.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Shiroi-Neko

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ai-Chan & Tora
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 21:27:53 PM »
Aww Tiger lilly that's such a touching story  :'(

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 20:27:48 PM »
Many years ago on my way to work I saw a cat get hit by two cars. I stopped in the middle of the road so that the cars behind me had to stop, got out of my car and went to where the cat was in the middle of the road. There were a few very impatient drivers behind me honking their horns but I totally ignored them. The cat was still breathing but was in a very bad way. There was a young guy in a truck directly behind my car who had stopped and was concerned about the cat too so I asked him to keep an eye on my car while I tried to move the cat and find it's owners. The cat was a big, fluffy black and white but I think one of the cars that had hit it had gone over his tail as all the fur and skin had been taken off it.  :(

I picked the cat up as best as I could so I didn't hurt it and carried it to some houses nearby. Luckily the first one I went to knew who the cat belonged to and took me to the owners house where I left the cat along with my phone number so they could let me know the outcome. Later that day I got a phone call saying that the cat - Barney was going to make it but had a broken pelvis and had had to have his tail removed. About a week later I received a really lovely card from the little boy who the cat belonged to thanking me for saving Barney. I was so touched.

I always hoped that someone would do the same for me and years later someone did although the ending wasn't quite so happy.

My Simba got knocked over and killed on a road not far from me. The guy that saw the accident picked Simba up, took him home and buried him. Unfortunately although Simba was microchipped he wasn't wearing a collar and the guy that picked him up didn't think to take him to the vets to be scanned. I went through two days of hell trying to track Simba down. Having put flyers through all the doors in the street the guy that had picked him up came to my door and said he thought he had Simba buried in his garden. I told him that if it was Simba I had to have him home, so he went and got him. I was in pieces when I saw it was Simba but at least I had got him back and the guy was also able to tell me what had happened to him. Apparently the car that hit him was being driven by a boy racer who didn't even bother to stop. The guy that picked Simba up was able to tell me that Simba didn't suffer and that it was all over very quickly.

A year ago Lily was knocked over in nearly the exact same place. My son found her at the side of the road. Because of what had happened with Simba I have always made sure my cats have collars as well as being microchipped but when my son found Lily her collar was missing which has haunted me. She had never slipped her collar before so I wonder if someone had grabbed her by the collar and in trying to get away she had slipped her collar and run out into the road in front of a car. I searched up and down the piece of road where she was knocked over but never found it.  :'(
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 19:31:08 PM »
This is why I am so glad that all of mine are indoor with an outdoor pen. I just could bear the thought of one of them going through the pain and trauma of an rta. What gets me even more is that people don't care, most don't even stop or even give a thought to the fact that its an animal with feelings and also someones animal.

I have found a couple of deceased furries on the roads before and it breaks my heart everytime.

Our first family cat was run over but luckily survived and got off lightly with a broken pelvis. Our next family cats were sisters and Milly got run over; she had been missing for a few days and my brother found her at the bottom of our front garden in the bushes. She was still alive and we rushed her to the vets, they operated but couldn't save her. It still brings me to tears now thinking about what she was going through waiting for us to find her :( My best friends cat got run over, the people didn't stop but luckily the lady behind did and rushed Blackie to the vets. She was again lucky to only suffer a broken pelvis :( That same friend found a poor cat that had just been run over, got a friend to locate the owner while he rushed the cat to the vets. Unfortunately, the little cat didn't make it.
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 18:59:16 PM »
Ahhhh how sad ... well done for stopping ang helping.

RIP little kitty xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 17:28:34 PM »
aww poor kitty :(
no wonder you were distraught! Its so good to hear from caring people like yourself  :hug: Ive only had my kittens since feb and i allready have nightmares about them escaping :Crazy:

Offline shirleyp01

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 16:58:14 PM »
We will certainly try and go back and see the owners, we felt awful leaving the poor cat on its own wrapped in the blanket.
We couldnt continue with our day out as we were so upset, we went straight back home and gave our two gorgeous cats a big hug.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 14:13:16 PM »
Well done for trying to help and finding theire cat the owneers will know someone tried to help  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 13:56:22 PM »
Good on you for stopping, such a shame the little cat couldn't be saved  :hug:

Hope the owners find him/her and at least have some closure  :(

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 13:27:30 PM »
well done for stopping and finding the right house in the end. If it is possible ould you not pop round to talk to the owners and tell them what happened. I say this as my moms cat was found laid in a bush and it still upsets her as she never knew if he got hit or had died really. someone did find him and brought his body to mom but they were as clueless themselves as to if he had been hit.
It may just help them to put a face to the kind people who were there for the poor cat at the end maybe?
I cant understand people who drive off like that :censored:
glad you came along in time though xx

Offline shirleyp01

• Adult Cat
Cats killed on roads
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:45:22 AM »
This is a distressing subject but one I witnessed on saturday whilst travelling through a small village.
The car in front of us hit an animal that was on the road, I managed to stop in time, and we saw that it was a cat.  My husband ran to make sure it didnt run onto the otherside of the road.  Unfortunately it was near death, so we got a blanket out of the back of our car and wrapped it up in it.  My husband then went to try and find the owner there were not that many houses around, the owners were out but a neighbour told us which house it belonged to.
There was not a vets in this village, but within a couple of minutes the poor thing had died.  We left the cat wrapped in the blanket for them, at least they would know that someone cared about their pet at the end.
Oh I forgot the car that hit the cat didnt stop.

Link to CatChat