Author Topic: That time of year, be careful !  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
Re: That time of year, be careful !
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 18:43:52 PM »
Mine dont like chocolate thank goodness but they did enjoy their yoghurt and catnip easter eggs this morning!!!!!

Offline Tracey

• Adult Cat
    • KatMaid
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 18:32:02 PM »
Up until December last year i had a tabby cat called harry. He was alittle feral, but such a darling. He would eat anything he could get hold of....chocolate being his fave. We had to be so careful leaving food out. The little tink...miss him so much :(
KatMaid..Staffordshire cat sitter
www.katmaid.co.uk

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 12:37:57 PM »
Let my cats eat my chocs.

NO CHANCE!  :duel: :feedme:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline shinney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 09:26:31 AM »
I remember one christmas not long ago, i was a puppy walker for the guide dogs, and had a young lab puppy. He found a tin of sweets up stairs that my son had left the lid of, and ate 3/4 of the tin.  :sick:

I rang the emergancy vets up, in right old state, and they told me to keep a watch on him, that he could be ill, have upset stomach or sick. He had none of these but was hypo for at least 24 hours, was literally swinging of the lamp shades.  was a total nightmare, a 5mth old lab is not the quiets of dogs at the best of times let a lone with that much chocolate in him..

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 16:09:46 PM »
Dark choc has more theobromine than milk or white. I remember the dominatrix dog trainer Victoria whatsit getting on to a woman who fed her teeny dog After Eight mints!

http://www.danes.org.uk/choc.htm

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 14:52:32 PM »
while we r on the subject of chocolate
last xmas i bought my little sister (the one whos 11) one of those giant bars of galxey u know the reall huge ones i bought it as a lil stocking filler for her as shes a chocoholic lol anyway she left it up on my mums shelf (quite high up) they all went out for xmas dinner and my mums dog eat the whole bar while they were out ,next day he was quite poorly and had to stay in the vets for 4days on a drip where he couldnt stop being sick  :sick:i felt awful and wished i never bought my sis that choc ,thank god he was ok in the end thou ,
and last year my mum had done her shopping in asda and came in to me and ask if she could leave her bags in my house while she went to parents evening anyway i said yea ok and i said id go with her , when we got home my dog had raided her shopping bag he eat 5 of her custard doghnuts and 3 bars of small sized choc ,i was really upset and was crying i was like omg my dog is going to b poisioned
i rang the vet and they got in touch withr there poison team and told me it was ok he would just have the runs but keep an eye on him
now me or my mum dont take any chances ,i dont hav choc here coz i dont eat it neither does oh
and my mum makes sure all my sisters sweets and choc r in the cupboard out of the dogs reach
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 13:53:05 PM »
Last night my cat almost got her paws on some unattended chocolate before i grabbed it.
This compelled me to mention the obvious - many of our homes will be filled with chocolate over the next week, so be careful not to leave any lying around !  :sick:

I wish  :tired:

Not a trace of chocolate here - other than the stuff I bought myself in Lidl - the 42p one that looks like a bar but when you open it, it's single squares - it's lovely but their other chocolate is  :sick:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 13:44:11 PM »
it takes a large amount of milk chocolate to poison a normal sized cat.

I don't know about cats (although i expect the same applies) but the vet told me that even a small amount of chocolate can be fatal to a dog. Obviously it depends ob the type of chocolate and the size of the dog. So obviously it is best to air on the side of caution and not let them have any.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 13:50:23 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 12:23:37 PM »
LOL My parents dog Jess yesterday refused to eat bread because my Dad didnt tear it into bite size peices and hand feed her he just gave her a big peice and she dropped it on the floor then wouldnt eat it cos it was dirty  :rofl:

My cats only tend to eat cat food although Mogs can be temped with fish or meat  ;)
love
Tab

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 10:53:20 AM »
Well, Tilda has never had chocolate, but i'm sure she would love it. She eats anything i think i've been sold a dog  :-:

lol my cats r like dogs too they will eat anything even bread  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 10:47:28 AM »
Well, Tilda has never had chocolate, but i'm sure she would love it. She eats anything i think i've been sold a dog  :-:

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 10:34:38 AM »
if i was home  jasper would be getting some (if i did!!) not necessarily through my choice but i just cant stop him!!!!! he's mad for choc. and prawn crackers.
strange boy.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 10:29:08 AM »
well thats true hannah..LOL

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 10:25:36 AM »
yeah but.... if puss cats nicking yer choccie.... you dont get to eat it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D

do we love them that much????

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 10:06:14 AM »
but dont panic if they manage to snatch a "small" piece..after discussing and researching in the cat chat days it takes a large amount of milk chocolate to poison a normal sized cat.  white chocolate its basically impossible and dark chocolate..i cant remember but would suspect lower quantities would be needed to cause harm.

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
That time of year, be careful !
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 09:26:19 AM »
Last night my cat almost got her paws on some unattended chocolate before i grabbed it.
This compelled me to mention the obvious - many of our homes will be filled with chocolate over the next week, so be careful not to leave any lying around !  :sick:

Link to CatChat