Author Topic: PHOENIX saved in time from a lingering death - pics included may upset  (Read 3391 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: PHOENIX saved in time from a lingering death - pics included may upset
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 15:07:05 PM »
Poor Phoenix - thank goodness he was found in time to recover. He is a beautiful dog, and a remarkable one, too. To trust humans after his ordeal he must have a genuinely lovely temperament.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 23:27:44 PM »
So sad.He is so beautifull. :(

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 18:01:23 PM »
That poor dog, and he is lovely too

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 22:48:47 PM »
I don't think they have a policy as such, I could be wrong but basically if they don't want an animal, it is dumped and left to die  >:(

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 22:36:22 PM »
How barbaric - poor Phoenix

I hope that he finds a forever home now

What is the policy in Greece on neutering?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 22:21:09 PM »
I'm on the Animal Rights contact lists, they keep me posted.  I do get stuff through on a daily basis but sometimes I can't bring myself to look at it and promptly delete it, some of the pics give you nightmares and it's worse when there's nothing you can do to help  :'(  :'(  This story below isn't unusual in Greece, and I have another story that came with this one but sadly the dog died before help got to him although hundreds of people walked past and saw him suffer, nobody stopped to help  :'(  :'(  They seem to treat their animals like rubbish over there and instead of having them killed humanely, they take delight in letting them suffer  :censored:  :censored:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 22:25:24 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 22:17:52 PM »
To be honest I don't like going to destinations were there is a lot of stray cats. Unfortunately alot of the Greeks view them as pests and think nothing of subjecting them to a slow and painful death through poisoning. Turkey though was even worse, packs of dogs running amok was a common sight.

Poor Phoenix what a barbaric thing to do at least someone cared enough to act. Hope he continues to make a good recovery and finds a home soon.

How do you get to hear about these things Dawn?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
PHOENIX saved in time from a lingering death - pics included may upset
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 21:58:49 PM »
I've been asked to post this in the hope that people will think twice before making their holiday destination Greece   >:(  >:(

PHOENIX ... saved in time from a lingering death

".... In all the years I have been working with the strays, I have seen a lot, as far as cruelty towards animals is concerned, but it always amazes me the imagination of the cruel people. The following is a tragic story with "new" (at least to me) tools for torture. But, at least this story has a happy ending.

On Monday morning (4 Feb.), I received a call from some construction workers from a site about 40 km out of Patras. A dog was abandoned at the area. Nothing unusual about this, except that the workers were very upset because the mouth of the dog was tied and he had no

way to eat or drink. The dog was not just abandoned, he was abandoned with the intention to die slowly and painfully. The workers had seen this dog about 7-8 days earlier; they called me and despite their efforts, they could not get close to the dog, in order to remove the plastic tie from his mouth.

I went there the same afternoon and although I found the dog walking aimlessly around the fields, he did not allow me to get closer than 30m from him. After chasing or trying to trap him for more than 2 hours we - the workers and I - had to leave because it got dark and there was no point continuing. However, I was able to assess the situation; the dog had no chance to survive on his own. He would die slowly from dehydration and/or starvation. I felt as desperate as the workers who called me there, who has told me that they could not sleep at night thinking of that poor animal.

The next day, Tuesday, I could not go again. However, two of our volunteers who live in the area tried for most of the day to find the dog, but they had no luck.

This morning, Wednesday, I started early and I carried with me one of the traps just sent to us from the US. I was lucky to spot the dog quickly. I tried several times to approach him and to follow him, but that was fruitless. Finally, after I studied for a couple of hours his pattern of movement, I set up the trap in a suitable spot and went away. Two hours later and after several visits to the trap site, I became the happiest animal welfare worker on earth. The dog was in the trap and I was literally screaming from joy. However, I could not even "dream" of what I was to see when I got closer to the trap. Please look at the photos.

With the help of some passers by, I loaded the trap with the dog into my car and drove to the vet. Once there, the vet and his assistant tried to remove the mouth tie which was embedded into the flesh about 1cm deep. Then we discovered that there was an even worse wound at the lower part of the neck, caused by a series of electrical cords (acting as a "collar"), so tight that in parts, they were embedded about 2 cm in the flesh.

I cannot really describe the size of the injury ... but from the photos, you will get an idea of the cruelty suffered by this dog.

The happy ending of the story is even better.

Although the dog had obviously been without food and water for at least 10 days, his vital organs (liver and kidneys) are not damaged. He was immediately started with IV fluids, because any attempt to drink water would damage his kidneys due to the severe dehydration he had suffered. Also, as I was told, it would have been dangerous for his system to receive direct food. So we tested the function of his jaw by giving him a special paste to lick. I cried when he started licking our fingers with the outmost lust for this trace of food. It was such an emotional moment that everybody at the clinic put a little of the paste on his/her finger just to feel this poor animal licking it ... an unbelievable feeling. Finally I left him at the clinic for a rest. There will be a slow process to get him used again to regular food and water and of course, fight the serious infections from his wounds. The vet was very optimistic about him. He considers it a miracle that this dog is still in such a good shape. We all agreed to call him Phoenix. He is about 1.5 years old.

Saturday, 9 February ... an update on Phoenix

".....I visited the clinic today and I took Phoenix out for a long walk. He is a very calm and gentle dog! He walked by our sides (the helpers who care for him and me today), not pulling on the lead at all. He behaves as if he has been living in a home, with people,all his life. He trusts humans absolutely, which is amazing after his recent experiences. His wounds are healing surprisingly fast.Everybody who works at the clinic is in love with him; he has a fantastic character.

Phoenix is still very thin, but I was told that he eats large quantities of food; in fact everything they put in front of him. His fur is also looking healthier and shiny and the latest blood tests were normal. On Monday, the wound on his neck will be stitched and then he will be ready to move out of the clinic...."

Dimitris

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat