Author Topic: Moving Meg kitten onto dried food.............  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Moving Meg kitten onto dried food.............
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 15:21:24 PM »
Wise decision methinks  ;D ;D

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 11:39:42 AM »
Thanks for this - it's quite an eye opener as I'd chosen the Arden Grange for Jas as I believed it was better for her than the wet food as the ingredients seemed better quality.

I don't think I'll be able to do anything to alter what Jas eats now as she looks at wet food, chicken, tuna, prawns etc as if they are poison!! She does drink a lot of water though - I see her drinking for her bowl about 4 times a day so I do think she's getting enough water intake :-)

I'll keep Meg on a mixture of Felix and JWB and she how she does on those :-)

It's not purely for convenience that I feed Jas dry only it's mainly because I believed it was a better quality of food for her :-)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 11:12:34 AM »
I posted on here a while back to ask the complete opposite. How to get my young boy cat to eat more wet as he only likes dry. It's not easy to get them to change. He doesn't seem to view wet cat food as food. I've tried a few different types and managed to get him to eat applaws chicken (unfortunately this isn't a complete food). I'm still searching for the best food for him he still really loves his dry food.   

Why don't you try giving a better quality wet food and see if she eats that. It doesn't usually work out any more expensive as they eat less.   

Offline Peggy C

• Distinguished Cat
  • Oscar
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 01:03:36 AM »
I have been told by my vet that feeding only dry food can lead to kidney problems so I give Oscar mainly wet food (Whiskas Simply Steamed Fish) but leave dried food with a bowl of water down at all times
My dear old Marmalade RIP suffered from cystitis and dried food was forbidden
I have found over many years and many cats that they know what they prefer and can be very stubborn if you try to change it

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 00:25:10 AM »
You could try sprinkling some biscuits on her wet food and gradually increase the amount of dry and decrease the amount of wet in the bowl. Also, do you leave a bowl of dry down 24/7 for Jasmine or do you feed a portion in a bowl for her to eat there and then? I feed 1/2 wet 1/2 dry but always leave a bowl of JWB down 24/7 which they nibble on throughout the day/night.

I'm another one that likes to keep a bit of wet food in the diet though - one for health reasons (moisture) and two for variety.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 22:35:57 PM »
In my humble opinion you should not phase out the pouches as they are better for them because of the water content.

Cats have to eat and its best they eat happily not because they are starving.

Offline Tempest

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jasmine
Moving Meg kitten onto dried food.............
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 18:00:52 PM »
I'm trying to move Meg kitten (now about 14 weeks) to dried food as we feed Jasmine our other adult cat on Arden Grange dried and she never had anything else (as she won't touch wet food!!).

Meg is currently on Felix kitten pouches and JWB dried kitten. She will eat the JWB but only if it's left in her room overnight - it'll be gone in the morning but she won't eat it if you offer it to her during the day as she only eats the wet food when you offer her food. I've tried soaking the JWB to encourage her but she still turns her nose up!

It's mainly because I think the Arden Grange/JWB works out much cheaper overall and has better quality ingredients than the Felix (plus I hate the smell of the wet food and the way it all crusts up in her bowl - yuck!!)

I've just fed them both and Meg has turned her nose up at the JWB and walked off (leaving Jas to polish it off before I whipped it away from her!!)

Just really wondering if anyone had any tips to maybe help us phase out the pouches :)

Link to CatChat