Author Topic: Cat Proofing... again!  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Peter Galbavy

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Leo, Dicky & Bertie
Re: Cat Proofing... again!
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 20:03:26 PM »
I cat proofed my garden using supplies from http://catfence.org.uk/ (just a happy customer). I had to also add chicken wire to stop the boys from going udner the fence - don't forget UNDER THE FENCE :) The results are here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/104307319214732651613/albums/5669205034216944113

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 18:51:33 PM »
Hi Catrun

I'm afraid we don't allow advertising for personal gain without the prior consent of the forum owner and admin, Tan. I've removed your link and would ask that you also remove the advertising link from your signature  :thanks:

Offline catrun

• Kitten
    • cat run
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 00:57:30 AM »
Cat Runs and Enclosures are another alternative :)  *link removed by moderator*
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 18:49:55 PM by Tiggy's Mum »

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 23:26:51 PM »
I was watching animal rescue Phoenix? today and a girl was allergic to cats so had a secure outside area (huge :Crazy:) that was metal fenced in with a metal, mesh? roof! rather like a zoo on a smaller scale!, it was actually really cool as she had obviously taken a lot of care into having a cat as she had all sorts in it with climbing stations etc but all outside! as a girl allergic to cats i think it showed great spirit on her behalf into rescuing a kitty like that :shy: (obviously not much use to you though and must have cost a few bob :shy:

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
  • A meow massages the heart
  • Slave to: Motown, Drum & our beautiful baby Bass RIP
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 22:32:47 PM »
I know :-( Puts the fear of God into me... it's a minefield! Thanks so much for the suggestions and links though, Drum 'n' Bass say thanks!  ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 22:23:20 PM »
Oh God, that's awful  :'(  Maybe not the answer then  :shy:

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 22:03:33 PM »
How about this? http://www.kittywalk.com/lawn.asp http://www.kittywalk.com/outdoor.asp

You'd have to order a crazy cat lady T-shirt to go with it though  :naughty:

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 21:48:13 PM »
Ha! That's such a brilliant picture  :Luv:

Hmmm.. yes enclosure was another idea we had... we just thought it would be odd in the summer if we were out there BBQing or whatever and they were too but we were separated by a fence... will have to have a think some more.... I did consider trying a DIYer using a gazebo as the starting frame...

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 21:32:50 PM »
I think the only option would be purrfect fence then http://www.purrfectfence.co.uk/ or if that proved to be too costly then how about an enclosure coming off the back of the house. Quite a few people on here have done that instead and it can be DIY'd.

If you could talk the landlord into it and put collars on the trees then removing secur-a-cat wouldn't mean the fences need replacing, there's lots of teeny holes along the very top and the brackets have no more screws than a hanging basket might have.

Here's the view through my living room window, whilst it's not invisible I don't think it's overly obtrusive.

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 21:26:00 PM »
Thanks so much for that! It's more that the fencing is A) hard to get to as there are large well established trees and vines in the way and B) its a rental so whilst the landlord is a cat loving dude I don't know if that stretches to bolting brackets to his garden fences... if he ever cam back then we'd probably have to replace them so his cats could get in and out which might be uber expensive, so free standing inside the borders seems to be the way to go....

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 21:22:03 PM »
Thanks Sam!  :Luv:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 21:21:21 PM »
 :welcome: back Bee

I have my back garden cat proofed with Secur-a-cat and would highly recommend it. It's been up for over three years now with no escapes and Riley is amazingly athletic! It's really not that obtrusive at all, I was worried what the neighbours might think but went and asked before I did it and they were all fine with it - I did slip into the conversation I didn't want them soiling in their gardens  ;)

The majority of systems attach to the fence, when you say the fencing is not great do you mean you don't think it would stand up to netting/brackets being attached? The only free standing one I know of is Purrfect fencing but if I remember rightly that was very expensive, it might even be cheaper to get a new fence put up! Trees can be dealt with by way of a collar round the trunk to stop your girls climbing up it and using it as a launchpad but obviously you have seen the garden so can guage if the plants are going to be an issue.

This is a really good link as it's a website made by a bloke who installed his own cat proofing and gives all the options available http://www.mycatfence.co.uk/choosing.php

If you felt up to DIY then here's a step by step guide I scanned from an article in a magazine a few years ago on how to do a DIY cat fence...

Have scanned the relevant bits instead....

Will try and dig out a few pics of my set up...

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
Cat Proofing... again!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 21:04:31 PM »
It's been ages since I had time to surf around here.. soo busy with a promotion and life, I've missed it!!  :)

Anyway.. hoping you lovely people might throw some options for cat proofing the garden my way.. I'm mostly querying cost from anyone who has had it done.. we are moving next month and will have a 40" garden! Very exciting! I thought it would be lovely for the girls to have a roll around on some grass and stretch their legs properly...  obviously though as they are deaf and have always lived indoors, escape is not an option and I'd really prefer to not have any foxies / other cats getting to them either... anyone got any idea on cost via the numerous companies that offer cat proofing installed? The alternative is obviously to make it ourselves but i'd be quite nervous about doing it properly... the property is rented and the fencing is not great and has a lot of trees in the way so it needs to be free standing in front of the shrubbery really....

Link to CatChat