Author Topic: Advice please.....  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Advice please.....
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 01:50:08 AM »
It can take from ist day to forever, just no way of knowing I am afraid but they sound like they are doing OK  ;D

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Taz, Marvin, Monty, Merlin & DS RIP Tasha & Baldrick
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 21:38:40 PM »
So thats why they do it

Though Taz growls even when he's on his back?  Mind you he wasn't with his mum for very long as he was headed for the canal with his siblings when he was rescued  :censored:

Roughly how long does it take to get them used to one another?  Taz is extremely jealous as Marvin sticks to me like a plaster, Taz won't come near when Marvin's about but 1st to dive on my knee when he isn't.  Feel really bad as for the last 2 1/2 years Taz has been Mummy's Little Boy & I can't get it through to him that he still is.  Hoping it all works out, lol  :thanks:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 18:52:44 PM »
This sounds good cos lying on the back means I am not gonna hurt you so with both doing it its great  ;D

My late Napoleon didnt understand cat language so when Sasa lay on her back, he just got his paws in her tummy fur and she never forgave him  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 22:16:53 PM »
Hiya,

just an update, Marvin is well & getting cheeky.  Also he's started to play & he still smells a bit but not as bad as he did.  He's also trying to make friends with Taz I think.  He gets close to Taz lies on his back & then Taz lies on his back and growls lol.  They kind of pull a bit closer to each other when they're on their backs but not enough to thump each other.  Taz usually swears a bit & stalks off so maybe in time oh well

:thanks:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 19:52:02 PM »
Amber only did the smelly hisses when she needed worming....she very kindly showed me the wormy bum so I knew  :sick:
Mogs didnt get the playing part and as a friend suggested toy on a stick I tried and she ran like Id tried to hit her which made me feel so awful. As time went by she learnt to destroy catnip toys and got to the point where if I played sticky toys with Amber who loved them Mogs would do the awwww look from a distance  :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 17:37:44 PM »
Lupin woke me up the other night and I went looking at litter trays  :-[

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 13:45:45 PM »
he might just be getting used to having a supply of proper cat food?  give him a little longer and then get the mask I'd say!

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 13:38:59 PM »
Hiya,

Marvin is settling in well, apart from one thing, he farts!! :-[  Now normally this wouldn't bother me but he's diabolical, worse than my husband (and he's cleared pubs before now) is there anything natural I could give him? 

Poor Marvin, but he's so toxic I could use him for a paint stripper if I pointed his bum at the wall.  All advice welcome & i'm off to ebay for a gas mask  :thanks:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 11:59:03 AM »
glad to hear it went well, yes you are right you can't rehome this close to christmas!

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 22:36:39 PM »
Just to let you all know Marvin was fine at the vets & has now been de-marbled, lol.  Bit wobbly when he came back but he's fine if a little quiet, only to be expected I know (as oh pointed out, wincing)  ;)

OH has commanded that Marvin be found a nice home as I have too many moggies already which is what I plan to do (not) :sneaky:, after a reasonable time to give previous owners time to claim him (yeah right).  Then I couldn't possibly rehome him at christmas....... :shify:   Update soon, thanks all

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 12:48:50 PM »

Sounds very typical. I found a stray last winter and once I made a little home for him in our garage (I didn't let him indoors as didn't know anything about him, he hadn't been neutered and I assumed he hadn't had injections either so didn't want to put my two inddor cats at risk) he barely moved for 10 days and did very little but eat and sleep, after that he would venture out more but didn't got far. It makes sense I suppose, if you've been a stray on the streets exposed to the elements and scavenging for your food you would probably sit tight once you find somewhere warm with a food supply!

Once he's put weight on and got his confidence I am sure he'll be bombing around like the others.Da Bird or Da Mouse will almost certainly get him going!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 23:28:24 PM »
Vanilla cupcakes  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ducha loves cheese and butter but would leave the bread  :evillaugh:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 23:06:22 PM »
Cats who have been out a long time tend to eat anything that takes time to go away

Have to say some of mine are still partial to cheese sandwiches and vanilla cupcakes :-[
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 19:44:22 PM »
Loads of good wishes for Wednesday  :hug: :hug:

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 16:10:48 PM »
Just to let you know Marvin is doing well, has been fleed n wormed & is booked into the vet on Wednesday to be neutered as he's starting to smell a little (oh not happy)  Didn't manage to get any vouchers for neutering as i'm not on benefits so don't qualify according to rspca & local cats protection don't answer phone, well they did once & I left my details last week then never heard anything. 

Oh well anyway, he's doing fine looks like he's putting on a bit of weight, as he should be seeing as he eats everything in sight, inc cake???  Is that normal for a cat?  :rofl:  Lastly he doesn't really play with toys still but sprinkle a bit of catnip & watch him go, like a little rocket.

:thanks: for all the suggestions & info

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 20:02:39 PM »
It may just take him a while to come out of his shell and realise he doesn't have to spend all of each day struggling to survive and that he can actually have fun!  Or he may just be the type that doesn't go in for a lot of play.  If he's underweight he maybe just needs to conserve his energy.  I'm sure in time he'll come around but for now he seems healthy and happy  :Luv:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 09:22:35 AM »
Just to say so glad he has a doting Mum now, a week is a short time in a cats life and he can now rest without fear of being snuck up on, he has food he can graze on instead of gulping down like his life depended on it

Can I add if he is not reacting to catnip shock horror then I can recommend the Valraian toys in the Purrs shop, once you the human gets over the smell of sweaty socks the cats will love them, we have 2 here at the Clan Miss Gigi Skye from Sunny Harbour and Miss Porsche "Barbie" Bengal another rescue who have no reaction to catnip but are like cats on acid with the Valarian

I have a lot of lifes waifs and strays and still have 2 ladies who eat like they don't know where their next meal is coming from both are feral gals and even after a couple of years till hoover food
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 23:06:18 PM »
Agree with Sam and Rosella and I am sure he will come out of his shell once he feels totally safe and understands that this is his home and he never has to live outside anymore and begging for food.

Some cats have never learned how to play and never do but I would just give him time.  ;D

Its wonderful how a cat understands love, food, a warm dry place of safety and it just takes time  for them to show themselves

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 22:43:05 PM »
Hi,

you could be right, have tried him with a toy or 2 & he looks at me like i'm stupid,  :rofl:  Probably just too soon, will just let him be & see how he goes.  The boys aren't quite spitting at each other now & Marv still has to find his place in the pack/posse/clan whatever a group of cats is called.    I'm so used to Taz who's still a big kitten, I love him dearly but he's a complete nutter, has been since day one, my curtains still look like shredded tea bags.  I assumed all young toms were crackers till they were older, perhaps not then, lol   :thanks:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 22:34:15 PM »
Aaaw that's a little sad but how fab that he has a lovely home  :)  A week is a short time in which to suss out his true nature.  We have two young uns and one much more laid back than the other.  Do Taz and Marvin get on OKish? 

I have an idea that you will look back at this thread and smile wistfully for those long lost days of peace in a few weeks time when he finds his feet paws  ;)

I also recommend a good catnip toy and thoroughly recommend the Yeow catnip toys in the Purrs Shop.  They seem to retain their pong for years  :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 22:26:17 PM »
He may be just a laid back boy .... if he's had to live on his wits as a stray he is probably taking full advantage of the fact he has somewhere warm and dry to hang out and is finally able to fully relax.  I'm sure once he has fully settled in and gained a bit of weight he'll be more active.

Give him time and try him with a few toys .... cat nip ones are usually the best  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline siou2

• Adult Cat
Advice please.....
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 22:05:40 PM »
Hiya,

just need some advice on my new boy Marvin.  He was at the vets on Monday, was wormed & got a clean bill of health.  The problem is that he doesn't move except in the case of food/litter tray.  He was a stray, he moved in with me about a week ago & he's also underweight but he's working on that  :rofl:

My other boy Taz is 2 1/2 he still swings off any thing available, poor Marv is approx a year old & zero energy :tired:

Could it just be the lack of food he's suffered or am I worrying for nothing?   :thanks:

Link to CatChat