Author Topic: cat going into cattery for the first time!!!!  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: cat going into cattery for the first time!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 15:37:09 PM »
Try looking on the FAB site for catteries, they will be up to FAB standards

Offline Divinecards

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Dizzee Rascal
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 15:35:25 PM »
just got back from visiting the catteries and i dont like either of them. even more down about him going now :(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 14:40:41 PM »
Vet advice for sick cats in hospital is to visit everyday, so reckon would be good at a cattery too. This only works with cats and not with cats.

Worth speaking with the cattery owners to see if maybe you could come to an arrangement.

I have a fish slice and a knife upstairs cos Lupin scratches up the carpet if shut in the bedroom and was the only way I could get in LOL.

Down stairs Napoleon , Lupins predecessor, scratched the carpet so badly I used a piece of hardboard under the door but now cant do it cos have put stuff under carpet to stop the cold, so when Lupin did it it took me hours to get in..........sigh

I hope Dizzie will be OK at the cattery and I am sure he will still love you after.............would leave a radio or something on in his room in the house and not just a note on the door but also bend the workmens ears!!

Offline Divinecards

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 12:58:33 PM »
yeah I agree about not being able to resist, but the opening hours are short and i work so it will be difficult, but i will definately go at the weekends. One of them is a pet hotel, and it advertises 24hr webcam, but i am not sure if that is only for dogs. 

The strip under the door is a fab idea!! Thanks for that i will be giving that a try.  I dont know if he had been trying to get out for ages, or just because he knows what time i come home and may have heard me, so he may be perfectly fine the rest of the time

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 12:54:43 PM »
Sounds like he's definitely better off in  cattery if the house refurb is going to cause disruption to his home. I guess it's a personal thing but if it was me and I lived close by I wouldn't be able to resist going in to see them - I'd miss them too much!

My cats are indoor cats (well, they have a catproofed garden but they're not normal indoor/outdoor cats that come and go at will) and when I have tradesmen round who don't understand the concept of NOT leaving the front door open while they nip to their van eg boiler service etc I lock them (the cats, not the boiler man  :evillaugh: ) in my spare room but put a square of thin plywood under the gap in the door as I also have a carpet-ripper!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:56:23 PM by Tiggy's Mum »

Offline Divinecards

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 12:40:35 PM »
Well he pretty much stays in because my husband has adopted a stray cat that lives in  the garden and Dizzee is scared of him, so being locked in is not gonna be much of a worry for him. having said that even though he spends all day sleeping in our bedroom, when my mother in law locked him in there the other day he tried to pull our carpet up, but I would rather that than he gets out.  At least when we get home in the evening we can let him have the run of the house if he wants to.

I am local to the catteries, but i was worried that he may get more distressed if i went to see him and then didnt take him with me

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 12:34:53 PM »
I agree, it will be much less stressful for him in a cattery  :hug: As you are (I presume) local to the cattery at least you'll be able to go and visit him for cuddles to keep his spirits up  :) Is he an indoor cat normally then?

Offline Divinecards

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:32:09 PM »
thanks for the reassurance.

It will be for at least 2 weeks. after that I think I am gonna be able to lock him in our bedroom with everything he needs,  and put a note on the door saying do not enter.

He is extremely nervous of everyone that comes in at the moment, and although I was insisting I would not put him in a cattery he was so scared when the builders came to do some work outside, and I am worried they will leave the  front door open and he will run out, I think it will be less stressful for him to go to a cattery

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:07:23 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

How long is he staying in the cattery for?

I'm not from your area so can't recommend a specific cattery but I would say have a look at them both go with your instinct. To me security and cleanliness would be my highest priorities. My cats are incredibly loving, affectionate and docile but when they stayed in a cattery then literally hid and hissed at the (very nice) lady for the whole week!

I now use a pet sitter rather than cattery but that isn't really an option in your case so find the best cattery you can and try and make it as stress-free as possible for him by taking things that smell of home along with him (a worn T-shirt or similar) and some familiar toys.

I'm sure he'll be absolutely fine, even if he is a bit put out for a few days after!  :naughty:

Offline Divinecards

• Kitten
cat going into cattery for the first time!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:34:32 AM »
Hi everyone this is my first post

I am the proud maid to a beautiful ginger puss called Dizzee Rascal.  He is 2 years old and he is my first cat, but I am seriously stressing as due to major house refurb he has got to go into a cattery next week and i cant bear it. need a little reassurance, and if anyone is from the  enfield area can you tell me if you know of Elmtree cattery or capel manor cattery as i am going to see them this afternoon to see which one is best

Link to CatChat