Author Topic: New Range of Valerian cat toys now available in the Purrs Shop  (Read 2802 times)

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
Re: New Range of Valerian cat toys now available in the Purrs Shop
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 21:55:25 PM »
Thank you for the information, will double check with the vets next week when Ginger goes back for more tests and see what she thinks, it would be a shame if they could not have these toys as they love them so much!
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline Chappie

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 13:03:01 PM »
Hi Jen

Tan's at her sisters at the mo and i read her your post, she asked me to pop up her reserch into Valerian and to pop this also on the valerian items in the shop.
She said n the phone that the reason Valerian is better not to give Cats with Liver probs is that it can increase the responce of liver function tests.

VALERIAN (VALERIANA OFFICINALIS) -What is Valerian and is it Safe for my Cat? 
What is Valerian?
Valerian (VALERIANA OFFICINALIS), a common plant used in human herbal medications, contains a chemical akin to catnip that attracts cats.
Valerian (Valeriana officinalis), a member of the Valerianaceae family, is a perennial plant native to Europe and Asia and naturalized in North America. Valerian is also known as garden heliotrope, other names include setwall (English), Valerianae radix (Latin), Baldrianwurzel (German), and phu (Greek). The root of the Valerian plant has been used for centuries to treat everything from anxiety to insomnia in humans. Valerian is one of the best-known herbs for promoting a good night's sleep and easing nervous tension. Its sedative effects were first recognized in the seventeenth century, and since then it has enjoyed a long history of safe and effective use. Its Latin name, Valeriana, means "well-being". In popular lore, it is known as cat's valerian or moonroot. The intensity of a cat's reaction to valerian was once used to determine the quality of valerian products in 18th century apothecaries.

Valerian & Cats
While the human response is one of sedation and relaxation, Cats are driven into a euphoric frenzy by the smell of valerian root and affects the domestic cat in a similar way as that of catnip. The cat attractant chemical in Valerian is Actinidine, a pyridine derivative present in the essential oil of valerian, which causes similar effects to nepetalactone (the active compound in catnip). Catnip-responders are often also valerian-responders. Older information may refer to the active ingredient in the root as Valerinone.

Cats that don't respond catnip may respond to valerian. Cats may enjoy playing with toys that contain Valerian root and infused with valerian scent. The plant does not attract all cats, but many cats respond to it like Catnip. The reaction includes licking or biting the valerian impregnated toy, wrestling with it in their front paws, rubbing the face on it, drooling and becoming highly excitable.

Valerian has a pungent odor, often described as a "locker room smell", which, though usually disagreeable to humans, is very attractive to cats. To humans, valerian has an unusual smell akin to sweaty socks, hence the Greek name Phu (i.e "pooh!")!

There are frequent references to animals and their reaction to valerian.
It is said [Weiss, R.F.: 1986] that cats are known to be attracted by valerian, which can cause a state of ecstasy in them. This is reported by a number of authors [Phelps-Brown, O.: 1993; Spoerke, D.G.: 1990; Blackmore, S.: 1982] to name but a few. It is also said [Graves, G.: 1990] that the male is more affected than the female and that cats [Hutchens, A.R.: 1973] are so fond of the herb that they will dig up the roots and eat them. The root also excites rats and that the famous Pied Piper of Hamlyn may not have been such a great flute player, but more of a success because of the valerian root that he carried in his pockets! Gypsies use the herb to quieten unfriendly dogs, and that horses are also attracted by the smell of valerian and are given the root as a calming influence. Finally, it is said [Bremness, L.: 1988] that the whole plant stimulates growth of nearby vegetables by stimulating phosphorus and earthworm activity, since the roots also attract the worms.

Is it Safe for my cat?
Cats have been naturally attracted to the Valerian Root for centuries in the wild. In clinical studies, few adverse events attributable to valerian have been reported. Cats given 10 mg/kg of a valerian extract had a significant decrease in restless, fearful and aggressive behaviours.

Valerian as a scent stimulation is recommended by the Feline Advisory Bureau in their “Cat friendly home” information sheet: - http://www.fabcats.org/behaviour/cat_friendly_home/info.html
“Scent stimulation - valerian
This herb has a calming effect on cats and some respond extremely well to valerian tea bags. These can be offered dry to cats (remove any string or staples) and they will rub and roll on them, giving a similar response to catnip. Valerian tea bags can be placed into cardboard boxes or cardboard foraging tubes to encourage exploration with a good reward at the end.”

Cautions:-
Valerian as an essential oil (ie unnatural liquid form produced for human use), should not be given directly to cats as in this form it is too strong. The dried root (natural form) or diluted spray can be incorporated / infused into toys.

Cats suffering from kidney or liver disease should not be given valerian directly. Some components of valerian are metabolized in the liver and may increase results of liver function tests and may also interact with liver prescription medicines.

Do not allow your cat to swallow Valerian directly if she is pregnant, nursing or before surgical sedation. Since with Valerian the human response is one of relaxation, combining it with surgical anesthesia may cause an unwanted interaction.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 13:05:42 PM by Chappie »

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 20:09:44 PM »
was just about to order some valerian toys and saw on the description that they are not suitable for cats with kidney failure, do you know why this is? as two of my kitties have renal failure and I didn't realise they weren't supposed to have them! Luckily they have only had the one and thats out of circulation at the moment, its a shame, as they quite like them...

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 12:38:19 PM »
Ooh they look great, it's Hobbes' birthday this month so I think I may have to get some as he loves the knots that we got ages ago. Better buy a couple though as I'm sure Luna will pinch it from him otherwise  :rofl:

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 13:15:27 PM »

Goody, will get some when my existing ones have lost their potency.

Valerian drives my two even madder than catnip. Got some fleece bags from ebay once. It is definitely a shorter lived "high" but pretty amusing to watch them dribble and wriggle and rub the bags all over their faces.............then all of a sudden they will get up, wander off & ignore it so I always spirit them away and bring them out in a few days then they act like they've never had it before.

Well recommended to anyone who hasn't tried them.  (Of course you are always going to get the odd cat who doesn't respond but if they do its hilarious)

Jo

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 20:21:47 PM »
It was just some cheapy valerian sack from zooplus that snuck in with the litter order, but they loved it so much! Benji who loves yeeeooowww cantip (and only that catnip) dribbled a bit more, but the kittens  :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: never seen them so crazy over a toy and they don't react to catnip so it was a real surprise, right dribbley lot, attacking it, carrying it around and tug of wars!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
It does stink but its worth it! will order some from purrs as a christmas order for the kitties, will see how much I get paid on Friday  :innocent:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 10:20:22 AM »
 :rofl: lol Jen. I had the same with the lads, they got to try out the samples  :evillaugh: which toy did ya get?

Love to get feedback on these to see how they go with all cat personalities :)

They are handmade by my best mate and we came up with the brand name PurrWhiffeezz cause they don't half poo a bit like old socks! but the cats love em :)

We have some more Valerian stuff coming :) with long Faux fur (fake fur) - new range of "Moppets" - fleece little guys with fluffy hair and Critters -all fluffy ball type guys and also fireworks for 5th Nov.  and she is just trying a witchz Broomstick with feathers.

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:47:56 AM »
I think I am going to have 3 very stoned cats  :Crazy: :Crazy:  :rofl:
Definetly have to get 3 though, made the mistake of buying 1 to see if they would like it and there were some interesting (and very dribbly) tug of wars...

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 01:38:34 AM »
Ok I have 2 ladies who are mad for the stuff and several of the others no doubt

Miss Gigi Skye from Sunny Harbour is my first valarian addict was quite shicked when she refused the catnip first cat we have ever had who didn't do the nip :shocked:

This year she was followed by Miss Porsche the bathroom bengal who again doesn't do nip and loves her valarain so much she nicked it back from Caspurr raggie who was stunned that a little lady could just whip it from under his 8kg physique :rofl:

So now Auntie Tan is trying to bankrupt me before the Chrissie auction they look fab and Halloween is our special holiday we have flashing pumpkins, spinning skeletons and spinning cats who yowl that should wind up me youngsters :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
  • In loving memory of my beloved Butch 1998-2010
  • Slave to: Fudge & Ariel
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 00:25:11 AM »
Just took a peek they look great  ;D  mine are not to keen on cat nip so I will have to try some of these toys out on them  :)

I luv the witchz hat  ;D

Den
Xxx
The Purrs 2013 Christmas Auction is now on!
All funds donated to Feral & Stray Foundation  - starts 17th November to 1st Dec 
Will you be a bidder, or donate something to auction - or both?!

Den22

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
New Range of Valerian cat toys now available in the Purrs Shop
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 23:58:50 PM »
Check out the new PurrWhiffeez range of Valerian cat toys  ;D

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/search&keyword=PurrWhiffeez&category_id=0

Some great toys for Halloween  :star2:

Let me know what ya fink.  :)

Link to CatChat