Author Topic: The forgiveness of cats  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: The forgiveness of cats
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 13:59:51 PM »
Yes the trust they give is incredible and last night despite all the problems with Ducha, I couldnt sleep downstairs partly because he loves to sleep with me so much, I couldnt bear him being alone in the dark, despite knowing he had been sick all over the bed and used the bed as a litter tray.

When I went back to a dry and clean bed he started purring and snuggled up against my head, and he was telling me he loved me and I knew he couldnt help being sick and despite me ranting and raving about the bed, he still loved me and trusted me to look after him.

They trust us with their lives and we should never betray that trust.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 13:31:09 PM »
Crikey.  Just read that paragraph and it was like a thump in the chest.  How true is that? 

That is so beautifully expressed.

I know at times, when we're playing with Mac, and he has such an expression of faith and trust about him, I feel weak at the thought of any harm ever befalling him.  I fervently pray he's fortunate enough never to know suffering of any description.

After Paddy died, it had been such a long time since we'd had a kitten - an out and out baby in the house.  I recall the first night we brought Mac home, and he came out of his carrier, looking wary, very very small and alone.

After a little while, we got him up on the sofa, and we had a little  gentle play and a few cuddles, then he sat next to me and fell asleep.  It was with some degree of trepidation over any "right" to do so, that I gathered up his little stripey clad body and laid him gently on my lap.  The feeling of overwhelming love I felt at his trust as he snuggled down into the warmth will never leave me. 

This just reminded me all over again of what a huge undertaking it is when deciding to look after the welfare of any animal, and the absolute duty we have to their well-being and happiness.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 14:09:39 PM »
We won't be worthy of considering ourselves fully evolved until we live up to the shine of trust and expectation in a kitten's eye.

So true.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 13:09:50 PM »
Wonderful words but sadly mankinds behaviour towards cats and kittens has not improved  :(

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
The forgiveness of cats
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 12:02:09 PM »
I came across this paragraph in a book I was reading and decided to post it here as it made me think of all those rescue cats who open their hearts to new humans who love them after all kinds of horrible experiences:

"Hunmanity has brought such suffering upon the domestic cat, its amazing they still tolerate any contact with us. Felines may not forget our atrocities against them. Yet, generation after generation, they continue to forgive us. Every new litter of kittens born helpless and mewing is an invitation to start again, for humans to lift their game. While our past behaviour reveals the depths of the cruelty we're capable of, cats continue to expect better of us. We won't be worthy of considering ourselves fully evolved until we live up to the shine of trust and expectation in a kitten's eye."
From 'Cleo' by Helen Brown (brilliant book!)

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Link to CatChat