Author Topic: Fat cat! Diet advice  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: Fat cat! Diet advice
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 20:44:28 PM »
Your vet should have a weight clinic at the surgery - ask if you can join this.
A VN should run it and will help you with the correct diet and amounts you need to feed.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 18:05:05 PM »
I would go for anyone he will eat LOL but please introduce very very slowly so not to upset his tummy.

Must offer some whiskers to Lupin later and hope it doesnt upset his tum cos he seems to be so sensitive.......sigh

Offline michelle_w

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 17:43:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Yes it is a dry food I just assumed it would sustain him and fill him up more than wet I am surprised to learn it makes them put weight on more than wet food so thank you!

Any suggestions on a wet food or will any do? Or a better quality one with much more meat content?

I bought a da bird a couple years ago off here and it eventually got destroyed and lost they loved it so funnily enough I ordered a new one and 2 spare bits last night! Jack is an outdoor cat and spends a lot of time outside... but I have no idea what he gets upto he could be getting no excercise and just sleeping the afternoons away outside somewhere  :P

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 16:54:54 PM »
If that is a dry food, despite its claims, it is more likely to put weight on than wet food.

If it is a gradual change to mostly wet food may help but if its wet, noooooooooo bloomin idea!

My cat Misa is about 6.5 kgs and Sasa is about 6kgs and they dont really eat a lot, Misa is a big cat, Sasa shouldnt be so big  :innocent: :innocent:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 16:50:26 PM »
Does he do much exercise? Da Bird is AMAZING at getting cats literally flying around the room. Well worth investing in one if you don't have one already. I have no idea about feeding but I'm sure we have some 'fat fighters' who may be able to advise  :naughty:

Offline michelle_w

• Adult Cat
Fat cat! Diet advice
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 15:58:23 PM »
My male cat is overweight. Not majorly as the vet said he is generally a big cat but is also a bit overweight. I've been feeding him mainly science plan light for about 8 months and he didn't lose any weight but didn't gain anymore either. But now he has! He's up at 6 kg at the moment and needs to lose at least half a kg.

I have just realised hills also do vet essentials neutered cat and wondered if anyone had any experience with this? Is it worth a go jack could be overweight for this reason as he definitely started getting bigger after his op. It looks to work in a different way to the light so wondered whether it might help. He's 4 and a half at the moment. Or anyone with any other words of wisdom?! Or diet advice for an overweight cat. I want him to be around a long time and don't want him getting poorly in future due to being overweight.  :thanks:

Link to CatChat