Author Topic: hepatic Lipidosis (Fatty Liver Disease)  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: hepatic Lipidosis (Fatty Liver Disease)
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 22:06:25 PM »
I am sorry that Oggy is ill and hope that now she is eating maybe she will improve  :hug: :hug:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 21:51:07 PM »
If you need the info I have please give me a shout.

Offline oggysmum

• Kitten
  • Slave to: oggy
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 21:47:19 PM »
Thanks Louise and Rosella, Oggy is a bit brighter today and has eaten several small meals. I have hope. :hug:
Anne Marie

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 21:38:31 PM »
I've got some info on general liver disease if that's any help.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 21:24:46 PM »
I'll consult my aloe vera for animals book. I know from experience with Simba and my girls that it's good for gingivitis and cystitis but I'm not sure about fatty liver disease.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 19:43:38 PM »
Bump.  Any ideas anyone?  :(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:37:37 PM »
I'm so very sorry that Oggy is so very unwell  :(  I found this link recommended by another reliable website and hope it contains some useful information although it is a USA site and I'm afraid it is suggestion more "aggressive" feeding  :(   :hug: :hug:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_hepatic_lipidosis.html

Offline oggysmum

• Kitten
  • Slave to: oggy
hepatic Lipidosis (Fatty Liver Disease)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 02:19:05 AM »
My 16 year old Tortie Oggy has this disease, at least that is my vets best guess as it is very difficult to diagnose. I initially took her to the vet as she was off her food and just not herself and he diagnosed Cystitis and also that she needed a dental. She had her blood work done and her ALT count was over 600 and given her symptoms including Jaundice and lethargy and not eating it seems FLD is the cause.
She was in the vets for 3 days on a drip to try and flush the liver and we took her back every day for a week to be checked.
She is on Destolit and Hepatosyl meds and the main treatment is to get food into her as this awful disease makes cats anorexic and averse to eating. It is a nightmare, we have syringe fed her once but I have persevered with feeding her by hand with food mixed with water as she is not drinking voluntarily and uses her tray once a day and some days not at all/
I have bought every kind of medical and premium food I can find and am getting little bits into her as often as possible but she is so miserable and I am hoping someone on here has experience of this and can give some tips or even treatments that helped their kitty. She is a great wee girl and I will do anything to get her over this but am honestly out of ideas and just hate watching her so sad and miserable. Thank you for reading this,
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 21:45:36 PM by oggysmum »
Anne Marie

Link to CatChat