Author Topic: Moving home - advice needed on achieving a smooth, stress free rehoming  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
You might want to consider plugging in a diffuser (Feliway or Pet Remedy) a few days before they move in?  A couple of new catnip toys may distract them too  :)

Lovely lookers  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Are you sure that you'll have the keys to the new house at exchange? Normally this doesn't happen till the completion date, which is when all the money is paid. I would check this with your solicitor.

Assuming that you're right and you do have several weeks in which to move, which might be the case if this is your first property purchase so there's no pressure to move out of your flat (this was this case when I bought my first house; I was able to stay in my rented accommodation while I got the new house together), you should have few problems. Try to make the new house seem as much like the old flat as possible, and give the cats familiar bedding etc. Also, give them extra nice food for the first few weeks so that they associate the new house with nice things.

If your cats are usually indoor/outdoor, keep them in for a couple of weeks, then try to slowly introduce them, maybe on a harness, to their new garden so they get used to what their home territory outside looks like.

Have fun in your new home. Give yourself and your wife some relaxation and luxuries after the move, it's a very stressful process.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
What lovely cats!  :Luv2:

You have obviously put a lot of thought into the move so that it goes as well as possible, I hope you will be very happy in your new home.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
What a gorgeous pair  :Luv:

I had similar concerns to you when I moved but I needn't have worried.

On the day of the move I put my two in the (now empty) spare room with just their trays, toys and beds. I then moved everything to the new house and 'set up' the spare room there ie put bed together moved all furniture where it was going to be. Once everything else was moved in the rest of the house I brought the boys over, the very last thing to leave the old house, and put them in the spare room of the new house.

The idea was that they were in a calm stress free environment that looked 'normal'. Well they had other ideas, they yowled and cried to be let out so much so that I was worried the neighbours might complain! I opened the door and they set about exploring the whole house and ended up spending the night fast asleep with me on my bed. I really couldn'thave asked for it to go better and they handled it much better than I expected.

Another thing I did was to literally tape up the door of the room they were in with A4 signs all over it - cats inside, do not enter - as I was worried the removal men might let them out and at that stage they were 100% indoor cats.

:luck: with the move and hope everything goes smoothly  ;D

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
What a lovely picture and it helps that you have two beautiful cats.

I can totally understand the cats being your main worry. We moved to Italy for a year and you can imagine the upheaval. We sold our house and moved in with my parents in law for a couple of month beforehand. All I was worried about was the cat and how she'd cope the journey etc. Well she was fine, it's amazing how adaptable cats are. Especially if they are bonded to you.

It sounds like you have everything set up for the cats. I'd agree leave them in the old house in one room while you move everything else out. As soon as you have a room set up in the new house I'd move them to that with their stuff.   

If they are quite highly strung it might be worth getting a feliway plug in or spray which will help them relax.

They will be absolutely fine, I've moved lots of cats over the years and never had a problem with any of them.

Offline Fitzchiv

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Daisy
Moving home - advice needed on achieving a smooth, stress free rehoming
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 11:23:17 AM »
Hi all,

After five lovely years in our current flat we (my wife, two cats and I) are a long way down the line in having bought a house.

We've been very lucky in that our current flat is warm, secure, quiet, spacious, big windows and generally has been an excellent home for us and the girls (Daisy, 3yr old, and Frankie 2yr old).

Whilst most people would be worrying about conventional things like survey, mortgage, solicitors etc - a big part of my anxiety has been around making this as easy a move as possible for the cats!

We have the luxury of a good crossover period between the flat and the house, meaning that after exchange (touch-wood) we should have two or three weeks to get moved and settled. My idea is to get the house as set up as possible before moving the cats, literally to the point where them and their stuff is the last thing to go - so they go into a settled environment with some familiar smells and as little disruption as possible.

With all this in mind, especially the luxury of timing our move, can anyone give any nuggets of advice from their own moves to make this as stress free on our girls as possible?

(Sidenote; I was 30 on saturday and gifted a lovely camera so, apropos of nothing, I have the second picture taken with it, of our girls...)

Link to CatChat