Author Topic: Robbie has turned into a Fussy so n so  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Robbie has turned into a Fussy so n so
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 00:49:25 AM »
I have fussy eaters too , all 3!

I would love to stop all the wastage but just no chance. Jelly licked meat left. sasa eats only biscuits now, Misa also eats biscuits, Lupin doesnt much like them.

Tried raw and they all looked aT ME..........are you crazy!

PAH Simpley Tuna goes down well with Lupin but a small tin shared by all 3 every night is too much! Lupin will eat his but after a few nighgts the others wont.

I dont think there is an answer  :innocent: :innocent:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 22:46:17 PM »
thanks for that, Liz - although mine like the Cosma and the Porta21 equally, I think the Porta dries out more quickly, perhaps because it has less broth added - I find freezing it actually makes it more acceptable, because after defrosting it is wetter
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 22:06:50 PM »
Cosma comes in 400g tins as well
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 22:03:03 PM »
the thing I find interesting about the GREAT FOOD DEBATE is that I put out 4 dishes of different dry foods each day for three cats, and never have to throw any away, whereas when I buy complete wet food I hardly ever have a licked clean dish, and quite often all the actual meat is left after it's been licked clean of jelly or gravy

so really, in my house anyway, the debate over whether a wet or dry diet is best in really pretty much academic

if Robbie likes the Cosma chicken and/or tuna, Stuart, you can buy bigger 400gms tins of Porta21, which is much the same and works out cheaper, and you can always freeze what isn't wanted immediately
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 20:54:28 PM »
yeah Dawn, he does eat a lot of Biscuits, but then again with Susanne, he has no option coz I used to leave the food out till he ate it, which usually meant putting it out to the birds or letting the neighbours cats eat the stale untouched food, they lick the plate clean  :shocked:
sorry to read about Jaffa Susanne :(
Jiji, I did think about trying raw, but then again with me working away from home etc, can't see the mrs playing along, plus robbie like things with a pulse :(
hmmm Kay and Liz, think I will try the Cosma, going away on thursday, but will get that organised and give it a try
just want to see him eating, getting paranoid.com
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 14:33:21 PM »
Mine have never been particularly fussy but Mosi has his moments.  I'm afraid I just leave it down and tell him he can like it or lump it  :rofl:  I am such a bad meowmy!  Most of the time he goes back to it when he realises nothing else is forthcoming.  Other times he doesn't eat it but I don't give anything else so he has to wait for the next meal.  I only do that because he is young(ish), healthy and a good weight so I don't worry about him missing the odd meal.  I try to feed a variety of foods so that he doesn't become fixated on one.  Supposedly feeding lots of different foods discourages fussy cats but I don't know whether that's true.  I try to buy a variety of wet foods (many from zooplus) and top with a little Applaws dry food to make it more economical.  If Robbie's eating biscuits maybe he just prefers those.  I am a fan of wet food for cats but sometimes you have to just feed them what they will eat and in Robbie's case that could be biscuits.  You can either try to get him onto wet food (but he wont' eat that whilst the dry is down) or just accept that he prefers dry to wet and will only ever pick at wet food.

Jaffa used to be an eat anything cat but now that he has CKD it's a struggle getting him to eat anything.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »
through a lot of trial,  error and wastage, I now only buy good quality grain-free dry food and the complimentary tins of chicken and tuna, such as the Cosma Liz mentions

I also give Trigger, who is the keenest on wet food, a lamb's kidney and a bit of coley every day, which he loves, and which are cheaper than the tins -

I know it is drummed into us that wet food is better than dry, but if a cat won't eat the regular wet cat food, what are we supposed to do? None of mine would even recognise raw as food, and if Robbie is a prolific hunter I doubt it is going to appeal to him either
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 10:12:23 AM »
Ours get some Cosma and its like a plague has hit the food bowls - we get it on Zooplus and I have sachets and tins both large and small as a couplemof mine are on monitored food Miss Millie diabetic being one and find they love it not cheap for my lot but went through a lot of waste at one point

There are loads of trial packs on Zooplus at different prices may be worth a look and their FAGAIL is different form the UK ones as its made in Germany comes in better flavours to and mine know the difference!!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 09:41:16 AM »
What about trying him on some raw food, you can buy it ready made.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 08:53:29 AM »
could he be filling up on the biscuits, one of mine eats lots of dry food and hardly any wet - although oscar hoovers up behind her so no waste!

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
Robbie has turned into a Fussy so n so
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 08:52:15 AM »
two and a half years ago, this kitty appeared at my back door, cut a long story short, we adopted him
to begin with, He would eat anything you put down in front of him, this has changed over time and fussy is not the word
Sadly he is a proficient hunter, and is quite partial to pigeon every now and then. on top of this I believe he also get's food from
elsewhere as his weight has never changed, He had a couple of teeth removed last year ( thinking that would be the problem )
but no, he never changed his ways. we went through a spell of buying every type of brand on the shelf, trying to find the magic one,
it never really happened. Robbie is the type of cat that will do as he pleases, in the form of, yes I will sleep here in the house,
occasionally eat something but that is it, he won't come to you, He does his own thing.
We thought we had it sorted when we started buying Felix sensations and simply grilled whiskas varieties, but even then the amount
of waste can be astronomical, I have yet to see him lick a plate clean, sometimes he is on fish flavours, the next he is on meat, in
between he will just turn his nose up and walk away, I bought two tins of whiskas chicken yesterday, one gravy, one jelly, same again
aite some of them then started meowing again, yes the " am hungry meow " I have heated up food in the past which does help but I
know the mrs won't do that, Just want him to eat the stuff we buy, he does have access to biscuits all the time and will eat them, but
I am really wanting to find a food that he will eat, something that there will be no wastage  :doh:

does anyone have any suggestions please?
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Link to CatChat