Author Topic: Strange behaviour in cat with previous nerve damage  (Read 6360 times)

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Lolita and Ragdoll
Re: Strange behaviour in cat with previous nerve damage
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 01:24:50 AM »
I was considering keeping her on the cystophan when it's resolved anyway just to maintain a healthy bladder, considering all the issues she's had with it. I'm annoyed with my vets because they told me to only give her one cystophan capsule a day, and I'm reading now that for cats over 3kg, it should be 2 a day (Ragdoll is 4.2kg) She has technically had her one for today, as I gave it her after midnight, but shall I try giving her 2 a day instead? I've also ordered some extra ones for when this course runs out. That's good to hear that it took 48 hours and 2 capsules a day for it to work with your cat - I was beginning to think the vet had diagnosed her incorrectly and she had something a lot more sinister :/ At what point if I don't see any improvement shall I contact my vet? I don't want to leave it too long incase it IS something serious. Also, is it normal for her to pass a lot of urine during one of these episodes? I thought with cystitis they only passed small amounts of urine each time, but she seems to be doing a full wee.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 00:49:21 AM »
I have a cat who has been on a maintenance dose of one Cystease - another bladder supplement - on alternate days for years now, following several bouts of cystitis - I found two a day stopped the symptoms after 48 hours, but I continued at that dosage for a further 5 days, then reduced to one a day for a further fortnight before moving to alternate days

The cystitis came back very quickly when I tried stopping it altogether, but on this maintenance dose she has been find for a long time, and I shall not try stopping it again - you may well find the same when the current problems have resolved themselves, so hang in there
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 00:37:21 AM »
I shouldn't have spoke so soon, she just had another accident :( Does anyone know when the cystophan will kick in? My vet said it will almost always work so I don't understand why she is still having accidents. Does it just take a while to start working? I just gave her her second pill after the accident.

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 00:10:42 AM »
Thanks Slugsta - just really didn't realise that you should have litter trays even if your cat does go out. She's fine so far tonight, fingers crossed it stays that way :) I will keep you all updated x

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 21:39:07 PM »
I'm sorry Lola, you must be feeling really 'got at' at the moment  :(  No-one thinks you are a bad owner, you wouldn't have come on here for advice if you were  :hug:

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 19:14:27 PM »
Which is why she is now on a litter tray again. I feel like a bad owner now, but I honestly believed she was well when I took the litter tray and she tended to go outside rather than use it anyway.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 17:18:22 PM »
but she's not in good health, certainly at the moment.

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 17:03:16 PM »
I don't think I have missed any signs because she has never had an accident in the house before, and she always has access to outside. I am considering getting one again, but I don't feel it's necessary for a cat that is in good health.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 16:33:59 PM »
They are absolutely necessary !

And in this case veery urgently needed cos she knows she has knowhere to go and cant get out in time. Also the signs of cystitus have been missed for how long? and this is because you have no tray.

I have a tray in bedroom, in bathroom and kitchen and used to have one in lounge but they stopped using it.

Cats are very clean animals and you are forcing her to be dirty which will be making her stress worse

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 15:58:28 PM »
My mum doesn't really want litter trays in the house unless they're absolutely necessary, and when we have had one it's had to have been in my bedroom which you can imagine isn't the most pleasant thing... :/

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 15:48:30 PM »
no clue about side affects, might be worth giving the vets a call -  is there a reason she can't have a tray inside as well as going out?  my lot do sometimes they just don't fancy getting their feet wet!

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 15:13:36 PM »
Hi Gill,

She hasn't had trays for a while as she has started going outside again. I would have preferred to have kept her as an indoor cat since the accident but she would feel like a caged animal, it wouldn't be fair on her.

I actually took her to the vets today and they diagnosed it as stress related sterile cystitis with a slightly thickened bladder. She was given an anti-inflammatory injection, and I was given Cystophan (to be given once a day) and Loxicom (To be started Friday night). She has had her Cystophan for the day, and I thought all was ok. She just woke up and ran around wildly in the room, acting like something had scared her. I noticed that as she was running she was weeing, like she couldn't control it but knew it was happening. Is this a normal side effect? When will the Cystophan kick in? Is it possible she's becoming incontinent, or is this what happens with cystitis?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 19:58:11 PM »
Suspect that at times her nerves are not reacting fast enough, so effectively an accident and she wants you to love her although this would normally be the case after using the tray.............she does have trays doesnt she?

I think a vet visit would be useful or even just a phone call.

Doesnt sound like cystius un less she has no trays and then it could be.

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
Strange behaviour in cat with previous nerve damage
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 06:04:11 AM »
Hello all,

Not sure if any of you remember me, but before Christmas I posted about my cat Ragdoll, who had been hit by a car and had suffered various injuries along with nerve damage that affected her toileting habits. To cut a long story short, about a month ago she was given the "all-clear" so to speak - jaw, pelvis, etc was healed, including her toileting. She still will not empty her bladder completely but she empties it so that there's literally only a tiny bit left in there. She never lets it get to a dangerous size.

Anyway, this morning I was walking downstairs with her to take her outside. She had been scratching at my bedroom door so I presumed she needed the toilet. On the way there she suddenly stopped dead in her tracks, would not budge at all. I thought it was strange but continued walking downstairs thinking she would follow me. A few moments after I walked away she started meowing loudly and I noticed she'd done a small wee (not enough to constitute a full wee but definitely more than if she had "leaked"). She was very vocal, also purring very loudly and wanting a lot of fuss off me. I don't understand this at all. Even while she was recovering she never had any accidents in corners or anything, let alone stopping dead in the middle of the floor to wee. She has never leaked and as I said just now, I don't think she leaked in this instance because A: the wee was too big and B: she stopped like she knew what she was doing/what was happening, though she did not try to scratch over it like she would normally do. There has been one incident before where she was desperate to go to the toilet, and when I carried her she weed down me. I presumed this was because my arms or something were putting too much pressure on her full bladder. Does anyone know what this means? The healing process won't have just reversed, would it? I understand that full nerve damage healing can take up to 6 months, could this be part of it healing further? Would really appreciate any advice or speculations. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:11:19 AM by Lolarag »

Link to CatChat