Author Topic: Kitten peeing on bed  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Kitten peeing on bed
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 23:27:25 PM »
A vet trip is a good idea.

The only time one of my cats (Fred) peed on my bed was when I'd started taking a hot water bottle to bed. The bottle cover was in the form of a hippo. I had IBS, so was cuddling the hot water bottle hippo to my tummy. I think Fred got jealous, thinking that another animal had taken his place, so he peed on the bed where the hippo hot water bottle was.

I was surprised and immediately got up to wash the wet bottle and bed clothes. I stopped taking the hot water bottle to bed and had no more problems.

A couple of weeks later, Fred is missing!  :(
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 12:40:18 PM »
If your little one is peeing on the bed it might be the first signs of cystitis ... a quick trip to vet should sort her out.  :hug:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5022612_stop-inside-cat-peeing-bed.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline River

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Brownie
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 15:28:23 PM »
Thanks so much for the advice, would never have thought of it myself  :)

I still can't think of anything that might have affected her but hopefully if there is something it will come to me soon. She sleeps in my bed so I will try putting her bed next to mine with some clothing, and I'll make sure the litter tray is extra clean to see if that helps.

Her litter tray is in the bathroom which is very close to the bedroom but if the above fails I will get a litter tray for the bedroom. She has a covered litter box but sometimes has trouble with the lid so I took the lid off today, maybe that will make a difference  :)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:54:27 AM »
I was going to say are there plenty of litter trays? I would make sure there is one in the bedroom somewhere if that is where she is peeing.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 18:23:14 PM »
I don't know the exact reason, but I can offer some pointers.

Your bed is an area which smells very strongly of you, so it's the place where she feels closest to you. Peeing on the bed is often a sign of insecurity. You say nothing has changed, but could there be something which you're missing/haven't thought about? Maybe a guest she doesn't like? Or a local cat (if she's not going out, she might see one through the window).

Your next problem is how to change her behaviour. I'd suggest giving her a bed with an unwashed item of your clothing put into it. This will have the same scent as your bed. The smellier the item, the better (not that you smell, but if you wear scent at night, give her something with that on, even better, try an unwashed nightie). If she normally sleeps in your bedroom, put this bed in the bedroom, beside your bed and encourage her to sleep there.

Another consideration: can she easily get to the litter tray from your bedroom and is the litter tray kept scrupulously clean? Most cats are very fussy about using soiled trays, so she'll choose your bed instead.

Hope this helps.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline River

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Brownie
Kitten peeing on bed
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 23:39:38 PM »
Would really appreciate some advice as to why my kitten has started peeing on the bed.

The first episode was around a week ago but she had a vet appointment and the vet said she was fine so I put it down to being a one off, but last night it happened again.

She has nearly always used her litter box until now and both times this has happened is at night where I was sitting in bed and she was elsewhere on the bed. There haven't been any changes to the household etc but I would really like to get to the bottom of it as I'm worried it will happen when I'm not there and it will get through to the mattress.

After last night I tried not letting her into the bedroom at night but she will start meowing and not stop till I let her in!

Link to CatChat