Author Topic: Pain in back/base of tail  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Pain in back/base of tail
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 18:58:29 PM »
To be very blunt and honest if one hasnt been done you need to ask about an xray before anything else

Offline Jo68

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Jess
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 16:22:33 PM »
Thank you everyone for your suggestions - my vet is very lovely, and one of the options she's suggested is acupuncture, so I'll explore that, and she has put Jess on metacam, along with lactulose, to help keep her stools soft so that it doesn't cause any discomfort around the base of her tail xxxx

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 16:16:08 PM »
Hello and  :welcome: Poor Jess, I'm sorry that she is having so much trouble. I think I would want a second opinion before accepting that nothing can be done to help  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs but so sorry you have found us under such circumstances  :(

My thought also was whether Jess has been x rayed or whether this has been discussed?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 00:27:56 AM »
Sorry cant help but just a thought..............how about getting a second opinion?

My only other thought is wouldnt this show on an xray?  If so then a vet may be able to decide wjether amputation of the tail maybe the answer.

Offline Jo68

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Jess
Pain in back/base of tail
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 19:48:30 PM »
Hello everyone
My cat, Jess, was badly bitten by a stray at Christmas time and needed surgery to drain abscesses. She has severe pain for many weeks however seemed to slowly recover. However, now it's 4 months since the attack and, after she started crying when using the litter tray, I took her back to my vet, and when she examined her once again she seems to be in bad pain around the base of her spine and around the tail. The vet has given her metacam, along with lactulose, in case her (normal for her) fairly hard stools were aggravating the pain. I'm so worried about her :( my vets theory is that when she was bitten a tooth must have bitten through to the bone, and that the pain may be permanent. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm worried about her being on metacam long term as she's only 4
Many thanks if anyone has any ideas/thoughts/experiences they can share
xxx jo 

Link to CatChat