Author Topic: Help please - cat with cage phobia  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Help please - cat with cage phobia
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 12:00:13 PM »
So pleased she has healed  ;D ;D

My semi feral lives in the house now going out when she wants but I have to open the door.

So to get her into the cage which is quite large and whole end opens I have to trap her in a corner and then stroke and pateiently wait for her to go in. I cover the cage with a towel during the process.

Offline CarterUSM

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Lou & Peps
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 06:54:58 AM »
Thank you for all your replies.

Eventually my wife managed to coax Lou into the cage with a little food (my excuse for letting her do the dirty work is that she can do the feminine empathy bit better for obvious reasons). I rather think this is going to be a permanent issue every time we need to take her somewhere!

Lou’s injury has now healed and she’s as sprightly as she was before.

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 17:03:05 PM »
yes a trap should work. aswell as CP other rescues may lend you one and show you how they work. you are not there when it 'springs' so she shouldn't be able to second guess you!
We have lent ours to people in very similar situations to yours
you can find your local rescue (including Cats protection local branches) here www.catchat.org
good luck
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 13:33:50 PM »
Agree that Cp shouldd be able to help with a cage for trapping and I also used a big  puppy cage I think, cos not got room for a gaint cage but room for cat, litter tray food and water and had a cat in one for 6 weeks recovering from a broken foot.

Vets are not keen on sedatives as cats tend to fight against them so making things worse but speak to tour vet about the situation and ask for advice.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
I would see if you could borrow a cat trap from CP its much more humane and she can be transported to the vet in the trap and then brought round after any treatment in the cat box ready to come home

Intake it is the injury is serious she will be in a cage till all is well can recommend large dog crates for this purpose and I speak from a lot of feral experience I share my home with 39 of them from nasty to nice and the other Clan cats as well and their pets my 3 Border Collies

I also do a lot of trapping of ferals who turn up here if they want to stay on the outside with the motley band already here then they get snipped and chipped to me even if they move on they are done and should anything happen to them I will be told

I have been trapping cats for over 30 years and wouldn't be the first time I have set one in the house to catch one of my nasties  :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline CarterUSM

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Lou & Peps
Help please - cat with cage phobia
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 08:49:34 AM »
Hi

We have a semi-feral cat (she lives outside) who is about 18 months old, who we desperately need to get to the vet to attend to her injured leg, but who is unfortunately very reluctant to go into a cage. We think her fear of cages dates from the time she went missing when she was just 3 months old, and we had to manhandle her into a cage to take her back home.

Our current tactic is to try and entice her into the cage with some food, but she seems to have a sixth sense as to when we are about to close the cage door on her, and invariably she makes a run for it! 

Is anyone aware of a quick action tranquiliser which is readily available from veterinary surgeons? Alternatively, is there any natural sedative on the market which will help to calm her nerves?

In addition – does anyone know of any form of pet carrier on the market which is exceptionally large, and/or has a form of mesh which gives the impression from within of being light, airy and not claustrophobic?

Otherwise – are there any other tried and tested tactics for trying to get cats into a cage?

All replies will be gratefully received.

Very many thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

Link to CatChat