Author Topic: Eating problems  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Ben, Jerry, Archie and Zelda
Re: Eating problems
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 00:54:34 AM »
We've had to put them on dry for personal reasons (I am not happy about it and they will be going exclusively onto raw in May) but he hasn't thrown up any of his food since we got him last August.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 19:54:43 PM »
Misa speed eats and nothing I can do about it!

Just only give him half a pouch in one go to try stopping him upchucking it.............doesnt always work!

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 19:50:45 PM »
Another update - Jerry is now back to eating normally!! We have had three days of normal eating so he must've just been off for a few day!

Would still really appreciate some help with Archie's speed eating though! Since we have moved them all upstairs, he has slowed down, but only a small amount. Will he always be like this?

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 17:41:17 PM »
They're on food rotation to stop fussiness, so it's definitely not that. We've tried him food he would never normally eat that's reserved for rare treats and he still doesn't eat it  :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 14:51:57 PM »
Sorry out of ideas except change food.

Lupin can go for days refusing most food and have to keep changing to try and find one he will eat.

Misa just gobbles and then upchucks.

Also its that time of year for furballs and monster Lupin wanting to go outside!

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 14:08:59 PM »
Just an update, Jerry is most definitely not scared of OH now, but he's still not eating properly. Breakfast today was the first time he's actually finished the whole bowl, previously he refused to eat out of the bowl and either had to be hand fed or the bowl had to be tipped out in front of him.

Archie is still inhaling, feeding smaller and less often hasn't worked with our or his routine, as he was constantly crying for food, so we've gone back to 3 meals a day.

I'm at a loss of what to do!! I can't sit and keep an eye on Jerry eating kibble by kibble all the time, he has never been like this and doesn't seem unwell or out of sorts.

Someone please help!!

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
Ohh ok, fair enough! Breakfast is currently on the go, OH is talking in the living room and Jerry is tucking in happily thus far. He also cuddled up with OH last night, so hopefully he's gotten over his shock and is back to his old self. Was sunning himself of the windowsill this morning, he was lovely and roasty toasty when I got a cuddle  :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 01:17:45 AM »
Thats good  ;D

Moving not relevant as its months away, but couldnt remember when  :innocent:

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 00:57:32 AM »
Just a quick update on the Jerry front.

Have given them their final meal of the day and there was a massive improvement. I had to talk to OH through the door about something urgent and Jerry didn't spook until a full minute after the conversation ended, and it wasn't OH he spooked at. We have long suspected there is something in the hallway and when Jerry spooked he kept looking at the door, as did Ben, so it wasn't OH this time!

At least there is some progress, but things will be taken slowly and we will now be feeding Ben and Jerry upstairs.

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 23:16:49 PM »
I hadn't thought of smaller meals, that's a good idea, I will give it a go.

Yes, he has been wormed  :)

Yes, that's what I thought, that OH has scared him. He seems to be a bit better this evening, we will see how tonight's meal goes. I have said to him to stay away from Jerry during mealtimes, and told him off for shouting to me through the door, I will remind him of it again with tonight's last meal.

Yes, but not til May. Not sure what the relevance of my moving is?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 22:44:24 PM »
I suggest you give Archie small meals often so same overall amount but over a period of say an hour or prob half hour.

has he been wormed?

i am afraid that your oh has scared jerry going from what you have said..........quite badly! he needs to stay away from him especially at feeding time and once eating is back to normal then they need to meet each other aagain slowly from the start.

arent you moving?

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
Eating problems
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 18:45:16 PM »
Initially this post was only going to be about Archie, but it now is about both him and Jerry.

Archie first, a bit of background:

He was the runt of his litter so couldn't get in enough to the food as his older littermates would shove him out the way. Due to this, he now literally inhales his food. We have split him up from Ben and Jerry in order to try and slow his eating down, and this did work for a time, but now he's started to speed up again. He eats so fast that when he's done, he's mewing for more because his stomach hasn't had a chance to tell his brain that he's full!

And Jerry:

Jerry is our oldest boy and we suspect that he and Ben were fed out of the same bowl in the first home, as Jerry would shove his head into Ben's bowl and take his food. We got him out of this gradually by taking him away from Ben's bowl with a firm no. If he continued, he got either a puff in the face or a small tap on the nose. He hasn't done this now for months. Last night, whilst I was asleep, OH fed them and apparently Jerry went and nabbed from Ben's bowl. OH told me Jerry was terrified of him, OH bopped him and Jerry ran off and hid upstairs.

This morning's feed OH sat next to Jerry and watched him eating, so Jerry ate two mouthfuls and bolted upstairs. He refused to eat until OH had left and I had to hand feed him most of his food and make a fuss of him. This evening, OH stayed in the living room and I sat at the top of the stairs, so I could keep an eye on them without getting in their way. Halfway through their dinner, OH shouted up to me and Jerry bolted again. I had to go after him, pick him up and make a fuss, and take him back down to his bowl. I told OH off and told him to shut up, to which he replied which sent Jerry bolting again!! Managed to get him back downstairs but he would only eat whilst I was fussing him.

So my questions are these, what do I do about Archie's speed eating and what can I do to help Jerry realise it's ok to eat out of his own bowl? Jerry now won't go anywhere near OH, runs off when he sees him, so I'm thinking take things very slowly and carefully and give Jerry lots of fuss.

I am furious with OH though, I've had words about this with him before and told him to stop bopping altogether. Clearly he has taken a step backwards.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 18:46:02 PM by Blue Rabbit »

Link to CatChat