Author Topic: Tomcat visiting garden upsetting my two indoor cats  (Read 4836 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Tomcat visiting garden upsetting my two indoor cats
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 17:01:14 PM »
Sounds positive Jo, I hope the peace lasts!

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 16:00:26 PM »
Glad its all settled down Jo.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 14:32:24 PM »
So pleased that things are back to normal  ;D

I hate cats dressed up but cant resist the ones wearing bow ties  :innocent:

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 12:32:32 PM »
She is cheeky little minx is what she is!  She did it again last night, waited until his back was turned & then went up & smacked him, not hard but he was a bit fed up, he didn't smack her back though.  They were playing nicely later on so no major harm done. He doesn't have any
battle scars but Izzy has one on her nose & under her ear so I think he must have really clobbered her one at one point, which is unusual for Cash, he rarely uses his claws.

I wonder if she his challenging his leadership? The last time they were at odds was after the old matriarch Rosie died, they had a few squabbles then before Cash was eventually established as topcat.. but maybe the visiting Tomcat has upset the balance.

In general it has settled down,  they have not had a major bust up for a while now & the badcat is visiting less too, they don't sit watching out for him so hopefully it is getting back to normal. Feliway is still plugged in. They don't seem stressed, both looking very glossy and gorgeous and eating well so am not so worried now.

X

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 20:33:38 PM »
Sounds as if Iz has a rather 'individual' sense of humour!  :rofl:

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Sam, Codex, Jacob, Munchkin & Chutney too!
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 19:21:12 PM »
I don't go in for cat clothing, but that lion hat is so cute!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 13:18:10 PM »
Did a Sasa  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Ben, Jerry, Archie and Zelda
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 12:51:49 PM »
Ohh my goodness, all of this has given me the most hilarious images!!  :rofl:

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 12:26:16 PM »
Brilliant  :rofl:  Can't see either of my two letting me get near them with one of those though!

I may get myself a lion suit and run down the garden after him. He was round briefly last night but legged it when I went out and
chased him down the path.

Have ordered some Silent Roar and we will see how we get on with that. I have to say he is a beautiful cat, jet black and shiny, but I don't want cats in the garden full stop, I don't care about the poo but they upset the mice, frogs and birds & eat the hedgehog food.

I don't want to resort to the plastic spikes on the fence for lets hope the lion poo does it. If Silent Roar doesn't I will ask the wildlife park if they will sell me some real poo.

Cash and Iz have settled down a little. She is a little cow though, she watches Cash whiles he is waiting for badcat at the window
..and then she jumps up & smacks him, he doesn't find it funny, jumps out of his skin & they end up squabbling, no actual fights since the Feliway has been plugged in though.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 15:25:46 PM »
I still think borrowing a lion would be a cool idea. I would just love to be a fly on the wall when intruder came calling  :evillaugh:. Puts me in mind of a friend's cat, who, a few years ago when it was being shown, walked into the room when friend was watching the Tiger Diaries on the TV.  Cat just happened to walk in during a moment when there was a close-up of a roaring tiger. Friend says she's never seen cat run so fast before or since. Poor little love- she wouldn't go into the room again for the best part of a week.  :Luv2:

Anyway, it sounds like intruder has got the message and buttered off. I do hope so as it is terribly stressful for everyone when it happens. Our Munchkin was 'bovvered' by a local Bengal for a while a year or two back and I remember how difficult it was (Bengal, who had a home, just wouldn't get the message even after I sprayed him with water a few times). Eventually, the Munchkin saw red, did a Sasa and beat the living daylights out of him. He never came back thankfully.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 15:27:05 PM by Skiddaw »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 08:34:23 AM »
Silent Roar cat deterrant:

http://www.crocus.co.uk/product/_/silent-roar-lion-manure/classid.2000004185/

Silent Roar came out on top in a survey by BBC Watchdog into cat deterrents for the garden. They found that after just 3 hours of putting the pellets down, no cats visited the garden!

Silent Roar used to be sold as a cat deterrent, however the natural make up of the product has prevented the manufacturer getting the product the necessary new EU certification for chemicals, as it's not a chemical and the make up of every batch of lion poo is different as it depends on what the lions have eaten. This means as deterrents are regulated by the EU law. (Don't we all love some of the EU laws) the product is now sold as an organic fertiliser - but the product is exactly the same and nothing has changed! Apart from the fact we can no longer legally say it deters cats.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 14:03:26 PM »
Ohh they are gorgeous!! I see what you mean by Izzy and Archie looking alike, they could almost be twins!

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 13:08:24 PM »
Pictures of the lovely Izzy and Cash... she is adorable (and a little bit fatter now, this photo is a bit old)

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,42442.msg753218.html#msg753218

Hope link works.

X

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 00:14:17 AM »
Thank goodness Mr Badcat is staying away!

Izzy must be beautiful, can we have pics of your furry felines please? :D

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 18:58:11 PM »
Bless them! Some cats are just meanies. Generally it is tomcats that are bullies but I have known some very feisty ladycats too.

I think the olbas oil/citronella spray has kept our badcat away thankfully.

Feliway is plugged in & all is calm for now.

Bluerabbit your Archie looks just like my Izzy, very cute.

X

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 16:31:34 PM »
Glad to hear that things are better between Iz and Cash!

My 2 were both terrorised by the local badcat this morning. A big black and white bruiser (actually smaller than Alf, but he is such a wimp!). Both of mine ran indoors and badcat cat outside the flap swearing at them (he doesn't have a magnet so can't come in). Don't know if 'he' is actually male at all, never mind whether he is neutered, his bum is too furry to tell from a distance!

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 13:23:02 PM »
Sounds like they had a ball last night, and it's just this naughty intruder that's upset them! You could, potentially, set a trap for him and get him neutered under the trap-neuter-release programme that the CPL run. You would be doing him a favour by increasing his life expectancy and reducing his risk of illness and infection, and it may just put him off your garden for good  :naughty:  In all seriousness though, do consider it, you could catch him before you put the poop down and then you would be cat-free and have done a good deed to boot!

We all have our paws crossed that the feliway works for your two bumpkins though, hopefully there are no more baffled faces and more cuddly, playful faces!!

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 13:18:09 PM »

or borrow a lion from the zoo? that would see him off :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

:rofl:  I would love to see his face if I did! 

There were no fights between my two last night and I don't think Badcat was around either although I kept Iz and Cash occupied all
evening playing in their tent and they didn't have time to look out of the window. They were wary of each other at first but they played really nicely and had playfights so things were much better.  I gave them loads of food as well which went down well.

The Feliway has been delivered today so I will get that all plugged in later.

Is so horrible when cats who normally get along wonderfully fall out, was awful to see their little baffled faces.

Thank you for the advice and comfort!

Jo x
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 13:22:16 PM by jo.austin2010 »

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 13:11:35 PM »
Ohh, I should probably just mention, it's not actual lion poo, it's pellets that have been left to ferment in lion poo! Garden centres normally have them and I think some zoos sell them as fertilizer.

Had a hilarious image of you trying to drag a giant bag of lion logs around your garden!!  :rofl:

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 13:09:14 PM »
or borrow a lion from the zoo? that would see him off :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

That would work just as well!!  :naughty:

Gosh really? Makes sense i suppose, that would certainly put the wind up the little rascal! We have a zoo down the road, maybe they would let us have some for a donation.

They did seem more chilled out after the Serene Um & they haven't squabbled today so fingers crossed they will get over it..will get the lion dung anyway as is bound to happen again.

Thank you very much.

X

Just don't tell them you're using it to deter cats, some councils have a problem with it being used but it doesn't smell to humans once it's mulched into the soil, it just reeks to cats because it tells them that the garden is owned by something much bigger!

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 23:38:11 PM »

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 18:30:43 PM »

Gosh really? Makes sense i suppose, that would certainly put the wind up the little rascal! We have a zoo down the road, maybe they would let us have some for a donation.

They did seem more chilled out after the Serene Um & they haven't squabbled today so fingers crossed they will get over it..will get the lion dung anyway as is bound to happen again.

Thank you very much.

X

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 12:48:13 PM »
Jo, buy some lion dung from a local garden shop or online and spread it around the borders of your garden. Your two won't be able to smell it but it will stop any intruders coming in. You can also get outdoor deterrents like automatic sprays and things that make high pitched noises, they activate when a cat comes into range and scares them off. HTH :)

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »
Mine go out but when I first moved here there was a horrible ginger cat that lived up tghe road.........would attack humans...........i used to have to take a stool up the garden with me to stop it attackingmade !

In the end it made a terrible mistake and tried to take sasa on and she beat him up badly, there was fur every where all ginger!

sorry that doesnt help you at all

Yes but is still rather amusing, good old Sasa! Sadly I don't think Cash and Iz, even if they worked together, could beat this cat up, he is a nasty looking bruiser. No idea where he is coming from but he is going to get a serious squirt of water if I see him again.

They had another quick spat early this morning, not sure if the cat was outside at the time but they are so on edge that the slightest noise is making them jump sky high.  It didn't last long but was very noisy. They have had serene-um drops today and the feliway should be with us soon. I may get some of the Beaphar spot on calming drops as well, something will work surely?  Am sure is just a matter of time them getting used to it.  Am not letting it stress me out & have told Mum to stop all her dramatics because that won't help.

I do remember them having a few fall outs after our old matriarch Rosie died, sorting out the pecking order I suppose. I wish cats would be a bit
more intelligent though, they should stick together over this, not fall out. Hey ho.

Will keep you posted.

Poor Frankie, have you got any Feliway for him?  I do love cats but some of these aggressive tomcats can be very difficult to like sometimes!

X

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Frankenstein
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 12:10:32 PM »
Would also like to know any tricks on this!!

Some horrible beast is after my lovely kitten.

He must have spotted him playing and jumped up onto the window box. I saw Frankie jump up to see him and the horrid thing started attacking the window! My poor boy was so shocked and ran to me so but the horrid thing was still going for the window. Locked Frankie in the living room and went outside the shoo the other cat away and it went for me!!

Now it sits outside our house making the most awful noises and going for anyone who tries to shoo it away! Poor Frankie hates it and gets so very scared so I've taken to shutting the curtains so he cant see it. It's been about a week now. Have spoken to the neighbours and they don't know who it belongs to (the devil most likely!!!! :P )

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:38:34 AM »
Mine go out but when I first moved here there was a horrible ginger cat that lived up tghe road.........would attack humans...........i used to have to take a stool up the garden with me to stop it attackingmade !

In the end it made a terrible mistake and tried to take sasa on and she beat him up badly, there was fur every where all ginger!

sorry that doesnt help you at all

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
Tomcat visiting garden upsetting my two indoor cats
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 19:44:32 PM »
 Over the last couple of weeks a black cat has been visiting our garden, he jumps up at the window & frightens my two indoor cats. The awful thing is this seems to be causing Izzy & Cash, who are usually bestest mates, to squabble & have a few fights.

Unfortunately I gave my feliway to somebody, I have some on order.  I have made a spray with citronella, olbas oil, chilli powder etc to deter the offending visitor & he hasn't been around for couple of days.

I suppose this is all quite natural behaviour, a bit like having a new cat in the house but basically I just want my two to be OK with each other again. They are not at each others' throats, still sleeping on my bed & eating OK.... but they are very twitchy & wary of each other, they still play but it is tense & often ends in fisticuffs, not serious but they do have a few little scratches on the nose.

Have any of you experienced this sort of thing, what did you do & what happened? Any stories or advice would be very welcome.

Thank you x

Link to CatChat