Author Topic: Shots  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Frankenstein
Re: Shots
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 18:51:29 PM »
Thanks for the support :)

He was still tired yesterday but woke up at about 4am this morning  :censored:
He had a weird moment today were he was incredibly scared, hissed and went for me when I tried to calm him. Managed to sort him out with a bit of chicken (hope he appreciates it, I'm a veggie lol). Other than the chicken he's quite off his food. He's got till tomorrow to get his furry bottom back into hunger mode or I call the vets.

Currently though, he's sat on my shoulder.

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Sam, Codex, Jacob, Munchkin & Chutney too!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 21:12:11 PM »
Our Munchkin was very quiet after his second injection.

The vets said it's normal for them to be quiet and lethargic after vaccinations and sometimes even to have fluey symptoms, but this usually passes overnight.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 16:58:05 PM »
My Alfie was quite unwell after his 'first' jabs (we didn't know his background, he could have been done before but it seemed unlikely as he hadn't been chipped or neutered). He was hot and quiet, it was all I could do to coax a purr out of him. He was absolutely fine with the 2nd one 3 weeks later and with his 1 yr booster.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 16:42:18 PM »
One of my cats had a reaction to the feline leukemia jab. She was very sleepy and seemed ill, I was very worried and took her back to the vets. I've never had the leukemia one for any of my cats since as I've been too worried about the reaction. 

I'd give the vet a ring if he's not ok when your boyfriend get home.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 16:37:50 PM »
If he's not back to normal in 24 hours do call the vet for advice: side effects are extremely rare but sometimes do show up. The vet will ask you to bring him in if he suspects something is amiss, so don't worry.

Yes, do mention this to the vet when he goes for his booster in 3 weeks, and monitor his food intake etc for a few days to be sure he's back to full strength.  :hug:

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 15:43:44 PM »
Don't worry. Some of them react more than others but they soon bounce back. I'll bet you that Frankenstein will have recovered completely by later tonight or tomorrow.

Wonderful name by the way  :Luv:

Offline Sassybot

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Frankenstein
Shots
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 12:39:36 PM »
Frankenstein had his first shot last night. He took it like a champ although he was a little scared. Vet said it was much like a baby having theirs so to expect him to be a little sleepy for 24 hours.

If I'm honest me and my partner were looking forward to the quiet (our limbs would be safe and I can pee without him trying to sit on my knee!!) but I'm quite shocked with how he's acting.

We got him home and he had a bit of grub then jumped on my knee and fell asleep. Odd in itself as he prefers to cuddle on my shoulder. We moved his bed into our bedroom so we could keep an eye on him. Put him on the bed to see if he would play and he just went straight back to sleep. At one point I tickled his belly to try and get him to play and he just grabbed my hand like he was attempting to then fell asleep holding it. Had to move him back to his bed were, surprisingly, he stayed all night.

Similar thing this morning before i left for work. Had to get him to eat which is a first. He also feels quite hot to me.

He's purring loads so I he's not dying or anything. It's just a bit of a shock that it's effected our little ball of insanity so much. Just looking for a bit of reassurance that this is fairly normal for his first shots.

My BF is home in the next few hours so hopefully Frankenstein will be wide awake and back to his normal crazy self.

His second shots are in 3 weeks, do you think it's worth mentioning it to the vet? Also, if he's still like this tomorrow should I take him back up? The Vet did say 24 hours.

Link to CatChat