Author Topic: Plaque on the back teeth  (Read 2044 times)

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
Re: Plaque on the back teeth
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 09:58:25 AM »
One of my colleagues was given a new anti-plaque build up thingy by her vet this week, she said it has been used in the USA for a long time but it's only just been released here.  It goes in the water instead of the food, turns it slightly green, and none of her cats have noticed.  I can't remember what it was called, though...anyone know what I'm talking about??  I've had a quick look on vetuk but can't see anything that rings bells, there are a few there which look a bit chemically but she told me this new one is all natural ingredients.

Another vote here for vet flicking it off with her thumb, although mine have also been in for a few dentals over the years when they need a more deep clean or extractions.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:00:26 AM by fluffybunny »

Offline onyx

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Fonzie and Chloe, plus Amber and Izzie the doggies
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 21:40:39 PM »
i've used plaque off and logic oral gel on my cats/dogs before they switched to raw. i've also had a vet flick the plaque off teeth using his thumbs.   ive also tried to brush their teeth.

i would suggest trialling plaque off and i have seen it work with my lot, but that a dental may actually be necessary.

my eldest ended up having to have a dental, and it has really helped him. his teeth were in much worse condition than either the vets or i knew about, and by having a proper look the vet was able to determine that  the best course of action for him would be total extraction except for his canines. (in fact, most of them were broken / and or had already been lost!)

i felt really really guilty for putting him through that and not realizing his teeth were so bad, but afterwards, he didnt notice he didnt have teeth, and is now an absolute pro and eating raw food. And, i consoled myself that as a rescued animal, he may not of had the best start in life, but from this point forward, he could have the best life i could give him).

if the plaque is currently only on his back teeth, it might be worth trying less invasive methods first before having him going under GA?

:hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 22:17:07 PM »
Our vet also flicks off plaque with his finger nail.  We have a had a few scale and polishes but they have only been when cat's breath became a bit pongy  :sick: 

Some cats are lucky and some not so lucky in this respect.  Dinah, Ruby and our angel Millie RIP have been unlucky but they are related.  Vet was warning us about Ruby when she was only about a year old but we left it until she was 4 before she had a dental.  Naturally we would have done something sooner if she seemed uncomfortable.  Both Ruby and Millie had to have extractions when very young but Dinah retains all her teeth.

I suspect Groucho might be lucky.  Beautiful huge white teeth in a massively wide mouth. Scary dude when he yawns :Luv2:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 20:19:31 PM »
A vet told me my last cat needed her teeth cleaned, I said I wasn't very keen on the idea and said I'd think about it. She wasn't at the practice long and none of the other vets mentioned it when they looked at her teeth.  She was probably about 8 then and died when she was 14 and had no teeth problems.

It does seem a bit of a trend among vets at the moment a bit like dentist making you go to the hygienist every time you visit.   

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 19:45:54 PM »
My vet has a magic thumbnail he uses to pick that plaque off, he dislikes unnecessary dental work and would only advocate descaling under GA if gum disease has also been detected. Ask your vet to try picking the  plaque off and save yourself some cash and worry  :innocent:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
Plaque on the back teeth
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 17:40:33 PM »
It is a consolation. Thank you. I felt crappy when she said that, like I'd neglected him :( I love my puddies to pieces.

I know he'll be ok, I'm just worrying. He will definitely not be a happy puss going to bed with no food the night before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 13:49:50 PM »
If it is any consolation, our Munchkin has just had his teeth scaled and polished and I felt just the same way about it. In the event we took him to the vets early in the morning and collected him mid-afternoon and you wouldn't have known anytbing had happened.  :Luv:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
Plaque on the back teeth
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 13:18:53 PM »
Thank you very much. I'll get some in. Hate the thought of him going under anaesthetic just to have his teeth cleaned though. It seems very drastic :(

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 12:44:34 PM »
I invested in some plaque off as Dexter had to have 2 teeth out and his teeth scaled a while ago and he's only three!

The vetinary nurse uses it for her dogs, and it has a lot of good reviews, some even saying it DID remove existing tartar, although it is really a preventative thing.

I got a big tub about 6 months ago and still have way more than half left (although I do sometimes forget to give him it  :-[ ) When I weighed up the cost of another dental v's giving it a go it was a no brainer, and of course I dont want him having another anaesthetic or teeth out! He hasn't been back for another check yet, so I can't vouch for its effectiveness yet....

Dexter loves his food, and didn't even notice anything was different - he would NEVER let me brush his teeth!  :rofl:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 12:22:13 PM »
You can get something to put in their food http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_health/cat_first_aid/276536#more
not sure if it's more of a preventative than cure though. I haven't used it but I'm sure others on here have.

When I asked my vet about cleaning teeth she said it would stop plaque forming but wouldn't get rid of plaque that's already there. I don't think they would let me clean their teeth anyway.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
Plaque on the back teeth
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 10:27:05 AM »
When Meeko was at the vet this morning she said there is some plaque on his back teeth, and once his face heals up to book him in to get it removed. That is going under anaesthetic. Is there anything I can do for him at home to help this? He won't touch raw meat or bones

Link to CatChat