Author Topic: Average weight  (Read 2415 times)

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
Re: Average weight
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 13:11:52 PM »
Bella is 2 and weighs (or did before jess' arrival and lots of dremie bribes) about 3kg acording to the vet they'd like her to loose another 300g as shes a very small cat.
Jess is 14 weeks and about 1.5kg I think she'll dwarf bella when shes fully grown

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 17:57:11 PM »

Blimey Slugsta - Alfie is a big lad!

Yes, he is a bit bigger than he should be. The vet said he should lose some weight, I put him on a diet - and he put on 500g in 6 weeks!  :rofl:

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Ben, Jerry, Archie and Zelda
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 13:30:18 PM »
So there's really no way of knowing how big they will be then. It's not a big deal, I would just like to know but the main thing is that they're all healthy!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 12:01:01 PM »
Mine range from 1.8kgs to 8.72kgs so think it depends on the cat I have one ragdoll at 3.5kgs and the other is nearly 8kgs and the big fella at 8.72 is an NFC and I have Moggies at 7kgs so it does depend on the cat and breed
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 14:14:10 PM by Liz »
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 02:39:13 AM »
Lupin was over 4kgs when he was 10 months and is also very long and thought he was going to grow into 6-7kg cat but at 3 yrs I think he is lighter than he was but is all muscle, he only apparently  stopped growing at 3 years!

I would say that evey cat is totally different and the average weight is just a joke despite some vets attitudes.

I have two big moggies 6kg and 7 kg plus one female and other male. i dont think birman Lupin will ever be a giant now

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 21:46:53 PM »
seems so, my two are quite small I think. I think Denzel was the runt and has always been smaller than her bro Dexter.

Blimey Slugsta - Alfie is a big lad!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 21:31:42 PM »
So it seems like they're quite big for their ages then?

I thought as much, as wiki says an average adult domesticated male cat weighs 4.5kg, so it seems like I have lumps for kittens! I'm glad though, as all three were severely underweight when I got my paws on them, Ben and Jerry were put at 7 weeks by the vet when they were actually 10, and Archie was the runt of his litter and severely malnourished. I'd rather they be a bit on the dumpy side than what they were when they came to me!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 21:32:08 PM by Blue Rabbit »

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 21:14:46 PM »
Alfie is just over 2 years and weights a touch under 7kg, he's a big boy with rather a large tummy. Cleo is 12 years and is 3.5kg, she's quite small.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 20:27:50 PM »
Compared to my cats they are bigger. Denzel is just on 4kg and Dexter is 4.5kg and they are both 3 and a half now.

Like you say as long as they aren't overweight for their size, but I would say they are gonna be big boys!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Blue Rabbit

• Adult Cat
Average weight
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 19:33:10 PM »
I've been trying to find basic averages of DSH cats but there seems to be a huge gap of info between the ages of 4-5 months and 12 months, and a lot of the adult guides are based around food.

I know a cat's body condition is more important than their weight, but I'm just trying to find out whether my boys are big or small for their age.

Jerry is 43 weeks and weighs 4477g

Ben is also 43 weeks and weighs 4362g

Archie is 35 weeks tomorrow and weighs 3646g

I know when kittens are tiny, the rule of thumb is 100g a week but what about when the kittens are older and have done most of their growing? Their body conditions are all perfect (although Jerry might be a bit on the bulky side) but Ben and Jerry are all brawn and big shoulders, whilst Archie is long and lithe. If we go on the 100g a week rule throughout the entirety of kittenhood, that would put all three as a little over the average.

What are your thoughts?

Link to CatChat