Author Topic: Flea treatments - any ideas?  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Flea treatments - any ideas?
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 13:14:54 PM »
We use stronghold and have never had a problem. Dh once tried to save money and bought frontline and we got our first ever flea infestation. Dd we found is really allergic to flea bites and had huge bite marks all over, lesson learned and hebought stronghold since

In my opinion Stronghold is the best too

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 12:33:12 PM »
I have used Effipro, it worked well....  and something called Fipromil or something like that, got it online, that worked well too. I used
the two alternate months in combination as we had a major infestation one year,  that got rid of the little devils & they still haven't
come back. Luckily there were no adverse reactions but I do believe that those two treatments have much the same ingredients as
Frontline.

I also spray the whole house with Indorex or Acclaim. 

Have used Drontal for worms, they seem to slip down ok with no side effects.

It is an expensive business certainly. Hope you find something that works.

X

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 13:18:02 PM »
We use stronghold and have never had a problem. Dh once tried to save money and bought frontline and we got our first ever flea infestation. Dd we found is really allergic to flea bites and had huge bite marks all over, lesson learned and hebought stronghold since

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 06:55:22 AM »
Gill, they're not widely reported, but it tends to be a reaction to the ingredient selamectin, which can cause irritation, hair-loss, hyperactivity and hyperventilation in a small number of cases.  The same is true of most spot on treatments, where these kinds of reactions can occur.   

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 18:40:31 PM »
Thanks everyone, I will chat with my vet but the truth is I don't really trust vets to tell me the truth about side affects. I do have a different vet now but have found them not always the most forthcoming regarding reactions to medicines. I know people on here will tell me the truth.  :thanks:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 17:24:01 PM »
I have never heard of any side effexts to Stronghols Sue and bec :hug:use the fleas dont bite to get zappep its great for cats with flea allegys.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 07:44:02 AM »
I think next time you're at the vet for a routine check up, I would mention it, and see what their take is on it.  It does sound like Buffy may be reacting to something in the treatment.

I must admit, we've always used Frontline, but it doesnt seem to be as effective as it was, and I am wary of changing to something else because am worried about possible side effects.   I know some people have used Effipro successfully but it does have similar ingredients to Frontline, so dont know if it would be too efficacious.  :-:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 21:23:57 PM »
Program injection is great for cats with flea allergies - we use it on all of ours and the dogs have Program tablets monthly the injection we get dome once with boosters then 6 months after that so an extra vets visit but also a free health check

We worm using Advantage, Advocate, Drontil and Millibex
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 20:36:34 PM »
Purrrrrsonally I would be wary of injections cos once injected there is no going back.

Have you asked your vet why she is having a problem? I think this needs to be addressed first

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 16:23:29 PM »
I don't mind getting something from the vets it's just I don't want Buffy to suffer again as she was hot and very uncomfortable. I couldn't touch her for a couple of days. This has happened twice now. I think I will probably have to go for either a tablet or injection. Looking around online some cats don't seem to tolerate spot on treatments and I think that is probably the way to go even if it does mean a trip to the vets.   

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 15:29:15 PM »
Think they all need to be defleed if you have a problem and I would recommend stronghold but is prescription only.

however before getting a prescription I would check how much they charge fore this cos my vets have put price up to over £10! So probably would have been cheaper for vet to get it cos most vets do not stock it anymore due to better deals from advantage!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 13:53:38 PM »
I use Advocate on the ones who aren't very nice and have no issues with it and it worms them for most things and then to top up the wormer I use M ;Dillibex rolled in Salmon Pate works a treat
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
Flea treatments - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »
I think my cats need treating for fleas as they have started to scratch recently. I gave them advantage last year and it worked really well on Xander but Buffy reacted badly, she was running around and skittish and hiding for 2 days. Later in the year I gave them a wormer. Xander again was fine as I gave him a tablet. Buffy was impossible and I couldn't get the pill down her throat. So I got a spot on wormer from the vets. Anyway she reacted just the same as before hiding, skittish etc. So I think she's allergic to something in the spot on medication.

Does anyone have any idea what other treatment I could use? They are both a nightmare to take to the vets so don't want to do that unless no other option. I know there is a pill for fleas but she would have to go to the vets as I can't pill her.

What would happen if I just did the spot on for Xander? They are together a lot so would this reduce the fleas or would they all just end up on Buffy?       

Link to CatChat