Author Topic: Advice needed - Minty had another turn today.  (Read 7067 times)

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
Re: Advice needed - Minty had another turn today.
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 18:47:49 PM »
Sadly I think you have to accept that at her age things will happen and that she has recovered from all so far is great.

Also its a fair amount of time between events.

Take eeach day at a time and enjoy everyone  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Yes, we have to accept this and I will enjoy every extra day we have, don't you worry  :wow:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 18:34:09 PM »
Sadly I think you have to accept that at her age things will happen and that she has recovered from all so far is great.

Also its a fair amount of time between events.

Take eeach day at a time and enjoy everyone  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 18:13:45 PM »
Is there maybe a chance she has had some mini strokes? Like humans they can recover from these. She is a wonderful age but this would make her more prone to strokes.
I hope she continues to be well though with no more episodes xx

They said that she probably had a stroke the first time around in November 2012.

This time they were unsure, but yes, it's a possibility it was another mini stroke, if that's what it really was the first time.

She's just about back to normal again now. It's good to see, but very worrying.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 16:58:43 PM »
Is there maybe a chance she has had some mini strokes? Like humans they can recover from these. She is a wonderful age but this would make her more prone to strokes.
I hope she continues to be well though with no more episodes xx
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 16:21:23 PM »
They've not mentioned epilepsy.

They say the bloods came back as all normal and she's a healthy cat.

Whilst I am pleased, i'm also concerned they don't really know what has caused these episodes.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 16:19:46 PM »
good but odd, assume epilepsy is not an issue??

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 16:16:11 PM »
I've just had a call from the vets.

No Diabetes, no Addisons Disease, no nothing.

They can only assume that this is a malfunction in her brain or she was stressed about something and as she has recovered before and it was 14 months between occurances then it rules out just about everything but the brain malfunction that corrects itself.

We just have to monitor her and if worried call them again, otherwise carry on as normal, as she appears to be back to her old self.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 11:55:54 AM »
Hopefully some news this evening, if not tomorrow.

She's still a bit moody, but hopefully it will wear off.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 11:02:41 AM »
I really hope you can find out what is going on, think gill is right about blaming you!  I've a friend whos dog won't go near them for days after a vet visit!

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 10:00:26 AM »
More than likely  :tired:

She was quite agitated last night - in and out of bed. Think she's still in a bit of a huff, which is unlike her. :doh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 23:55:23 PM »
She is blaming you for the vet vist  :shify:

Lets hope no diabetes and nothing else serious  :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 18:41:31 PM »
Well, another visit, another £53!

Her glucose levels are back down to 11 from 15 which is considered fairly normal. He's now not sure about diabetes. He's now also looking out for Addison's disease which I shall now read up on.

She's had her bloods taken and we should know the results within two days.
She had her claws clipped as they noticed she had an ingrowing nail which they removed.

Acting strangely since home.

She's started climbing on the back of the sofa, which she hasn't done in 3-4 years. She's now settled in my chair which  she hates, possibly as it swivels. She growled at me - probably done that less than 10 times in her life. She was fine with me straight after  :shify:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 15:51:11 PM »
Pleased you are back with normal vet and hope this gets sorted asap  :hug: :hug:

Yes, it's always good to see the same vet if possible.

I know they have notes etc, but having the same one hopefully means they will remember the last visit a little clearer than someone with just notes.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 02:16:26 AM »
Pleased you are back with normal vet and hope this gets sorted asap  :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 18:42:25 PM »
Thanks Dawn.

I'm not sure how long the blood tests will take (or how much, but i'm guessing it will be more than the £41 I paid on Thursday!) but it's worth paying to find out the issue.

I'm just glad I had so much work before Christmas that it's not going to worry me as to how much this could cost.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 16:24:11 PM »
fingers crossed for her I hope she isn't but even if she is at least if you know what you are up against you can deal with it

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 16:15:54 PM »
I've just taken a call from the vet and it appears she may be diabetic - her urine sample has a high level of glucose in it and the vet
(Minty's usual one, not the lady Minty saw last week) wants her back in on Wednesday to take another blood test to send it off to a lab.

She also has to come off the steroids as it  may make her diabetes, should it be that she does 100% have it,  go over the edge.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 16:16:35 PM by Miroslav »

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

She's gone back to using her tray again. I out two empty ones out last night and she has used one of them, so I have my sample  :wow:

She hasn't pooped for 3 days though - not panicking yet - last time she took 5 days.

Otherwise, she's pretty much back to normal - wide awake and alert.

Hopefully we'll get some results back soon from the urine sample.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 17:05:04 PM »
I do hope you manage to get to the bottom of things and can get your little one's problems resolved quickly.  I would suggest looking into swapping food when she has stabilised, I used to use the rc 12+ until Milly started developing allergies, at which point I discovered that the second main ingredient is wheat flour!  I wouldn't have thought that such a high carb content would be good for a diabetic kitty in particular.  But I guess dietary issues is something you can maybe consider more once you've got a firm diagnosis and she is stable. 

I find the best way of getting a sample is to shut kitty in a room with you and an empty tray or one with those balls in place of litter, and maybe also carry a small tub or saucer so you can leap up if she decides to squat elsewhere.  If you stay with her for a few hours hopefully she will produce something, or if not, giving her an empty tray overnight may produce something.

I have 2 cats and last time I needed to get a sample, I taped a plastic bag up the back of the covered litter tray, as the cat who I needed a sample from sprays up the back, so when he weed it simply trickled down into the bag!  You don't need much, I'm usually given a pot the same size as a human pee pot, so a few ml ought to be enough. 

Good luck x x
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 17:09:08 PM by fluffybunny »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 16:42:25 PM »
If she is diabetic the fitting and lethargy could be due to ketoacidosis with it being uncontrolled? My sister is diabetic. Sugar in the urine also makes them prone to bladder infections and cystitis so maybe this is why she is weeing a lot? Poor wee lady. Get those tests done as soon as possible I'd say.

Agree with this about the lethagy and if uncontrolled will lead to other serious issues............I am diabetic.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 20:35:17 PM »
I have a well established routine for all of the cats and the 3 dogs as well and have changed to permanent part time hours and have wonderful cat sitters for when I am away
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 18:12:17 PM »
If she is diabetic the fitting and lethargy could be due to ketoacidosis with it being uncontrolled? My sister is diabetic. Sugar in the urine also makes them prone to bladder infections and cystitis so maybe this is why she is weeing a lot? Poor wee lady. Get those tests done as soon as possible I'd say.

She had colitis last year and we thought it may the same this year but seemed to be weeing ok.

She was looked at, at the vets and she didn't mention it even though we pointed out she had it last year - it was mentioned as it could be two things.

Her temperature was normal.

My fear was a tumour as her 3 sisters died of tumours in 09/10.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 18:07:51 PM »

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 18:06:46 PM »
I have injected all 3 of my diabetics with no issues and have never put them on a special diet same as my 2 Hyperthyroids although Miss Clio on Vitalda does drink her dinner and crushed tablet as she has no teeth

I also give injections that are required by my ferals so they are not stressed out things like Covenia, Metacam and Vit B shots which are a staple for 2 of mine to carry on living and enjoying life due to Calichi

Also do sub q fluids and have no issues with injecting cats or dogs show me a needle and oh dear try and get a sample and get it in to the vets the inhouse tests they run are pretty conclusive but a sugar curve which requires a day in the vets would need to be done to verify diabetes

Wow, you do all that? That must be some work. You must have a good system to get it all done.

Hopefully the urine sample will help the vet and we get to find out the problem. Then we can go about treating/managing it.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 17:10:36 PM »
I have injected all 3 of my diabetics with no issues and have never put them on a special diet same as my 2 Hyperthyroids although Miss Clio on Vitalda does drink her dinner and crushed tablet as she has no teeth

I also give injections that are required by my ferals so they are not stressed out things like Covenia, Metacam and Vit B shots which are a staple for 2 of mine to carry on living and enjoying life due to Calichi

Also do sub q fluids and have no issues with injecting cats or dogs show me a needle and oh dear try and get a sample and get it in to the vets the inhouse tests they run are pretty conclusive but a sugar curve which requires a day in the vets would need to be done to verify diabetes

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 17:06:24 PM »
I'll get the sample down to them on Monday - they are closed at weekends  :shify:

In the meantime, we just need to hope she gets through the weekend. She's doing ok - she's eating and has been purring with me. She's just even more lethargic than normal, which is saying something, but I guess that's the meds and maybe the aftermath of yesterday.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 16:23:13 PM »
She will go anywhere Miroslav cos the need gets too desperate and if she is diabetic only medication will help.

You really need to get all this sorted with a good vet very quickly  :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 16:21:07 PM »
Our Millie is diabetic and eats normal cat food and biscuits and is on a very high 10 units of insulin a day she has been diabetic since before we fostered her and is now nearly 17 - easy for vets to run test for diabetes and get them to check for Hyperthyroid at the same time as drinking a lot is a common issue in both diseases, I also have 2 Hyper T's so know the signs

Do you inject the insulin yourself?

I'll ask them to check for Hyperthyroid too.

Is there anything to avoid? Minty likes her treats  ;D

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 16:06:28 PM »
Our Millie is diabetic and eats normal cat food and biscuits and is on a very high 10 units of insulin a day she has been diabetic since before we fostered her and is now nearly 17 - easy for vets to run test for diabetes and get them to check for Hyperthyroid at the same time as drinking a lot is a common issue in both diseases, I also have 2 Hyper T's so know the signs

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 15:44:19 PM »
High glucose using the tray a lot sounds like diabetes!

What is your vet playing at?

He should have tested for this after the results and given you sample gathering stuff.

Do you have a better vet available?

She's not using the tray anymore. She tried overnight and missed but has just had her third pee in the middle floor in the last 24 hours - she's never done this in her 19 years before - is this stress? Maybe I need a new litter tray downstairs too?

She was going to send us away after injecting her with steroids as our usual vet, who wasn't there yesterday, did in November 2012 when she had a similar seizure. She mentioned blood tests and I said I would like her to have them - £42 for some piece of mind/precise results is worth it.

I then asked when I should pick her up and she said to take her home and she'd phone us, and she did. Last time, our usual vet kept her in for 2-3 hours.

I'm going to put another tray out - empty and hope she pees in it or it's the sponge and jar technique souffle suggested.

Minty doesn't go outside, so Dawn's teacup option isn't really one, unless I follow her as soon as she jumps out of her chair and try and catch it, but it could end up everywhere!

Does anyone have any web links to as what to do and what not to do, if she is diabetic? She's currently eating Chicken and I have some ageing 12+ Royal Canin food and James Wellbeloved Senior that she is eating. I've not put her back on Whiskas etc yet.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 15:45:51 PM by Miroslav »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 15:28:32 PM »
I always collect samples by following them around the garden with a teacup! 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 15:24:46 PM »
High glucose using the tray a lot sounds like diabetes!

What is your vet playing at?

He should have tested for this after the results and given you sample gathering stuff.

Do you have a better vet available?

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 20:05:26 PM »
yes that looks like what we had but your vet should have it in stock.
She sounds to be weeing a lot and if you keep a small, clean sponge and a clean jar to hand you should be able to soak it up and squeeze it out in to the jar as soon as she does it. Pop it in the fridge till you can get it to the vet.
If they are only testing for sugar keeping it sterile is less important so as long as you can get in in for testing fairly quickly the result should be reliable.
Cats with diabetes do wee more than normal so you may well get a sample without the beads. Something like a new kitchen sponge would do and a clean jar that you have sterilised with boiling water.
Good luck.

Might pop down again tomorrow then.

Could be an idea with the sponge and jar. Might try and do it so can take something in tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 19:53:15 PM »
yes that looks like what we had but your vet should have it in stock.
She sounds to be weeing a lot and if you keep a small, clean sponge and a clean jar to hand you should be able to soak it up and squeeze it out in to the jar as soon as she does it. Pop it in the fridge till you can get it to the vet.
If they are only testing for sugar keeping it sterile is less important so as long as you can get in in for testing fairly quickly the result should be reliable.
Cats with diabetes do wee more than normal so you may well get a sample without the beads. Something like a new kitchen sponge would do and a clean jar that you have sterilised with boiling water.
Good luck.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 19:32:49 PM »
She just got up, walked to the middle of the room and had a pee :(

I gave her some chicken and she started tucking in but started growling at it and then carried on  :-:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 18:31:58 PM »
I'm sorry to here she hasn't been well. When we had to get a urine sample the vet gave us a packet of plastic ball granules and you put them in the tray. They don't absorb so after the cat has wee'd you use the pipette to suck up the urine in to a bottle. They don't need a lot as they use a test strip to check. I hope things work out well for her and she can get some treatment.

The vet didn't give us anything, although at that time a urine sample was never discussed so she told us over the phone. Is their anywhere I can buy one?

She's all quiet at the moment trying to sleep, so hopefully she's all calm now.

Edit:

This - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Katkor-Urine-Collection-Sampling-Kit-/171207278598?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Cats&var=&hash=item27dcbfc006 ?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 18:34:40 PM by Miroslav »

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 18:13:10 PM »
I'm sorry to here she hasn't been well. When we had to get a urine sample the vet gave us a packet of plastic ball granules and you put them in the tray. They don't absorb so after the cat has wee'd you use the pipette to suck up the urine in to a bottle. They don't need a lot as they use a test strip to check. I hope things work out well for her and she can get some treatment.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
Advice needed - Minty had another turn today.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 18:06:21 PM »
Hi

My Minty has been a little under the weather over the past couple of days, so I was delighted when she pooped this morning after a couple of days of struggling. Any longer and it was vet time.

Unfortunately, pooing was the start of a down turn. She started behaving strangely at lunchtime and it was soon apparent she was going through what she had gone through in November 2012 - some sort of fit/seizure/stroke.

We took her to the vets where she was given blood tests, a steroid injection and some Medrone tablets. The vet confirmed it's likely she's had some kind of fit.

For the first hour back at home, she was pacing and eating chicken really fast in rotation. She has now calmed down and is half asleep on the sofa.

I've just had a call from the vets who say her blood tests showed a high level of glucose which can be caused by distress and Minty hates travel. Apparently high glucose may also cause confusion - which explains why she's often confused, although to be fair she is 19! The vet thinks she may be diabetic.

To be sure, the vets would like us to take a urine sample from home where she is at her calmest. Now, here's where i'd like the advice - what way is best, what shall I put the urine in that will leave it uncontaminated and how much do you think the vet wants? It wasn't made 100% clear.

The litter we use soaks up all the urine, so it's not going to be easy to get a sample.

Really thought I was going to lose my last baby this afternoon so i've hopefully kept her for a while longer.

Link to CatChat