Author Topic: Age for castration  (Read 3082 times)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
Re: Age for castration
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 23:10:39 PM »
Good one Sheila! I remember when my two got done together and Denzel was fine, but Dexter had a poo which OH removed from his bum and has never let me forget about it!

Newyorker it wasn't runny at all, just a normal one  :sick:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 21:53:20 PM »
I was also warned to keep Chutney away from alcohol. Apparently some cat owners have cats who like a tipple.  :o

Suggest my cats drink all my alcohol, which explains nicely where the heck it all disappears to on a Friday night  :shify:

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Sam, Codex, Jacob, Munchkin & Chutney too!
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 21:40:13 PM »
I was also warned to keep Chutney away from alcohol. Apparently some cat owners have cats who like a tipple.  :o

Offline thenewyorker

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Yul
Age for castration
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 21:23:03 PM »
He is not very good at climbing and jumping right now though he did make it up his tree eventually. He was really hungry too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 16:34:19 PM »
As long as he can't climb up anything he's likely to fall off, he'll be OK to come out. The vets always insist on them staying indoors for 24 hours to make sure they don't get themselves into trouble whilst being still drunk and wobbly from the anaesthetic. So long as the dog is gentle with him they'll both be fine.  ;)

He may look a little wide eyed and crazy - this is the after effects of one kind of anaesthetic used by some vets - it can be quite alarming to see them bouncing off the walls after only an hour or so but it does wear off, honest!  :-:

He may also produce one green, slimey poo. This is quite normal too, just the GA coming out of his system in bile - bet the vet didn't mention that one, did he?  :evillaugh:  :sick:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 16:39:27 PM by sheilarose »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 16:05:48 PM »
they always tell you to keep them quiet but it never works!

Offline thenewyorker

• Adult Cat
Age for castration
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 15:54:32 PM »
We got back about an hour ago. I kept him in one room thinking he might not want to be bothered by the dog but he seems pretty eager to come out and see him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline thenewyorker

• Adult Cat
Age for castration
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 08:32:56 AM »
Thanks for the wishes. We are on our way now. I'm sure he will be fine he's more concerned about not having breakfast today :)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 17:36:55 PM »
Alfs was a bit older when he had his op (he was almost 1 year old when he came to us and hadn't been done). he was absolutely afterwards, went and sat in the washbasin for the rest of the day (I guess it must have felt cool to his nether regions).

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »
Am not around tomorrow, but just wanted to wish Yul all the best for his op tomorrow, and for a swift recovery time (if it's any reassurance, Moray was in before 8.30, had his op and was home again by 10 a.m. - by 1.00 p.m. he was pottering about with a slight John Wayne walk which he retained for a couple of days  ;) )

Offline thenewyorker

• Adult Cat
Age for castration
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 14:22:23 PM »
I got him booked for Friday. He's 2.6 kg and he will be about 4 and a half months. 

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 13:03:59 PM »
My six month old Chutney (3.4 kilos) is booked in for his op on Tuesday. He keeps trying to sniff and play with my baby girl Codex and she just does not want him anywhere near her.

Here's hoping the princess will stop snarling at him once his testosterone settles down post-op. *crosses fingers*

Offline thenewyorker

• Adult Cat
Age for castration
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 08:17:40 AM »
How big was he at 12 weeks? His weight not his balls. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 08:46:56 AM »
My Merlin was done at 12 weeks - and he was fine, Im sure it helped the other boys to accept him too x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 13:03:21 PM »
I have always gone for about 5 months but I'd happily have them done younger if they weighed enough and vet was happy they were ready.

My decision has partly been influenced by keeping more than one male cat indoors and wanting to get it all done before testosterone kicked in and things got a bit feisty and/or spraying began.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 13:41:06 PM »
Groucho had his op aged 4 months.  Big guy  :) 

Boris was just about big enough at 6 months.  Not so big guy  :innocent:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 13:42:12 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 13:45:57 PM »
I always believed kittens should be done at six months. Chutney (my ginger boy) is nearing the six month mark end of January and definitely had large marbles, I thought he's almost ready for doing.

However, on my recent trip to the vets with Chutney the vent nurse said that they do kittens from 2 kilos and Chutney is 3.4 kilos so definitely ready.

I guess it depends on the kitten, their growth rate and the vet.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 07:02:45 AM »

Agreed, Sheila.  Mind you, I couldnt find any on Moray - if you recall I was quite worried !  :rofl:  Poor lamb - they were hidden amidst that long fluffy coat of his.  :shy:

Yes, Yul will be losing his baby teeth and acquiring a splendid set of adult gnashers, but you'll know if either of them play too rough.   Chances are you'll hear Billy yelling about it, and Yul looking more smug than normal  from some higher vantage point.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 21:40:01 PM »
My vet goes off "ripeness" of the plums  :evillaugh: which is usually around the 2kg mark, and many cats reach this between 4.5 and 6 months depending on their individual growth rate.

As a rule of thumb he reckons male cats start to become territorial, marking accordingly and physically "able" to father offspring around 6 months. So if your boy is  "never going to know what he's missing" 6 months is the appropriate point.

This explains why you've had the conflicting advice from your vets - both are correct but depends on the context of the question.

Offline thenewyorker

• Adult Cat
Age for castration
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:40:05 AM »
Well, what's too rough? Lol. Billy's tolerance for teeth and claws is pretty high with that coat. I think Yul has become more hard mouthed since the dog moved in but it's probably also the teeth changing? I'm surprised with how rough they let each other be though. They can both stop play when they want to (I think so anyway, or hope so) but they don't seem to mind how rough it gets.
When we went to the vet last time she feel his testicles up and said they still felt small. I assume that she was saying too small to operate? She's the one that said six months.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:00:59 AM »
Moray was neutered last month when he'd just turned 5 months, and he was fine.  Historically we've always previously waited until our cats were six months old, but it seems that thinking on neuteing is changing, and early neutering is becoming more and more common.   As Yul isn't going outside at present, and you dont have other cats, as long as he's not being too rough with Billy then I would say you can decide what you feel comfortable with.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 19:39:49 PM »
We were advised that 2kg was fine and our lad was done when he was about 5 months as he was well over this by that time. Vets seem to vary in when they do it either by age or size. As long as he hasn't started spraying or anything it won't really harm him to wait a bit longer till he is a bit more mature and the testicles a bit larger so easier to find and remove.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline thenewyorker

• Adult Cat
Age for castration
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 19:17:47 PM »
Do any of you have a strong opinion on the right age to get a male kitten neutered? The two different vets we have seen (same practice) have said very different things to me: the first said at 2 kg (which Yul is almost at, he weighed in at 1.8 and that was last week) and the second said at six months of age which won't be for a while. Anyone with any experiences with this? I know with large breed dogs it's advisable to wait longer but I haven't seen much info on what is standard for cats.

Link to CatChat