Author Topic: Nerve damage and problems with urinating/pooing  (Read 14890 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Nerve damage and problems with urinating/pooing
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 17:39:08 PM »
I am so sorry that Ragdoll has been hurt like this and hope that the nerves are only temporarly hurt.  :hug: :hug:

Is she at the vets being loked after?

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Lolita and Ragdoll
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 16:54:12 PM »
Dawn, that is quite helpful, thank you - although I'm not sure which of those categories Ragdoll would fit under. What I don't understand too is why they won't operate on her pelvis before she starts urinating etc for herself - surely that would probably help things?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 16:16:15 PM »
Oh hun I'm so pleased to hear your baby is back home .... but sorry to hear she has been involved in an RTA :(

I can't offer any advice I'm afraid (sadly my only experience of cats and cars did not have a good outcome and my baby never returned home :()

All I can say is cats are amazing healers .... as long as you are able to I would put off making any decisions and allow her time to recover.  You may well find that once the sweling/bruising has gone down things will look brighter.   :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 15:55:50 PM »
They can't really say for sure - it could heal and it might not. I just wonder what the success rate is, and what the best medication to give her is

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 15:54:46 PM »
Oh what an awful thing to happen.  :hug:

I don't have any similar experience I'm afraid, but do send you and Ragdoll my best wishes. Someone will be along any minute with some real advice.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 15:53:36 PM »
I'm sorry to hear she has come back in such a bad way - I've no experience of this, has the vet given any indication of what you can expect?

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
Nerve damage and problems with urinating/pooing
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 15:51:05 PM »
Hello everyone,

I posted a few days ago about my cat Ragdoll who went missing. Well, she turned up Sunday in a very bad way - she'd been hit by a car. I rushed her to the vets and have been told that her jaw is broken, and although her pelvis box isn't broken, it still needs surgery. The biggest issue though is that she has suffered some nerve damage (she may have to have her tail amputated too) which is making her unable to urinate or poo on her own. I know it's a matter of giving it time but I just wanted to hear if anyone else had had a similar experience and whether the nerves eventually healed? I'm so worried about her, she's not even 2 years old. I want to give her every chance, if it was only the jaw and pelvis that were the problem it wouldn't be such a big thing (well it would) but they can be repaired. The good news is she is eating now, but I just need to know what are the odds of her ever getting better?

Link to CatChat