Author Topic: Nerve damage and problems with urinating/pooing  (Read 14891 times)

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
Re: Nerve damage and problems with urinating/pooing
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2013, 21:41:43 PM »
my friends cat was hit by a car about 5 years ago, and broke his pelvis and damaged nerves, they ended up amputating his tail to see if it would help his bladder/bowel control but it didn't. He is still alive and well, doesn't need evacuating, but when he needs to wee, it just dribbles out and leaves a little trail same with number 2's, they just pop out as and when he needs to go! :naughty: but he is well in himself and has a good quality of life. Hope your Ragdoll gets home soon, seems like she is doing very well :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2013, 14:35:16 PM »
If she is weeing and pooing then I would say she probably doesn't have nerve damage and it was just swelling/bruising.  I know you probably don't think so at the moment but she was very lucky to have got away with just a broken jaw and tail ... when it's a collision between cats and cars sadly cats don't usually come off so lightly.

Sending lots and lots of get well soon vibes from me and loads of gently headbutts from my furry purries xx
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 21:15:32 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Lolita and Ragdoll
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2013, 12:50:12 PM »
Yes I am prepared for that. I think she'll look quite cute without a tail! My little sister is devastated though, bless her. It makes me wonder though, if she's recovering her bowel and bladder so quickly, does she really have nerve damage? It seems to be healing very fast if it is.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2013, 12:46:31 PM »
Thats the right decision then, very sad but she will do well just like Marys Bonnie  :hug: :hug:

The op may cause a brief set back with her toiletting probs as anesthetics do this, so dont worry  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2013, 12:44:14 PM »
Yes - her tail is completely broken and she can't feel it so it will just be a hindrance to her dragging it along the floor.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2013, 12:34:14 PM »
Oh bless her ... I thought now she was weeig and pooing they wouldn't need to ampute her tail.  I assume her tail is actually broken then?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 12:11:08 PM »
Why is her tail being amputated?

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2013, 11:17:03 AM »
Good news again! She did a wee last night (albeit a little wee) but a wee nonetheless! She is having her tail amputated today and then coming home later on! Is this a sign that she will most likely make a full recovery???

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2013, 08:40:20 AM »
Fingers crossed Ragdoll continues to improve  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 08:35:18 AM »
best of luck for your news today

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2013, 08:32:26 AM »
Really hoping she continues to make good progress  :hug: :hug:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2013, 07:00:39 AM »

Popping in to send big hugs to you both this morning and that today will bring even more improvement.   :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 17:23:26 PM »
All thisw is such good news and keep being positive  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 13:03:00 PM »
Am so sorry to hear of your gorgeous girl's accident.   It does look a lot more positive from the latest update, and am hoping once she's home with you, she'll begin to recover more rapidly and make good, steady progress.

Aw, little Mikey was inspirational.  What a beautiful, courageous and good-natured little lad.  Adding my positive good wishes for your baby's recovery too.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2013, 12:23:39 PM »
Good news! The vet called this morning and said she'd done a little poo! And she's been scratching and squatting in her litter tray! The nurse was encouraged I think as she wanted to phone the other nurses and vets that weren't there that day. A friend of mine was in the vets this morning too and apparently the news was the talk of the waiting room! They said she seems content and always wants fuss. She hasn't weed yet but they did say her bladder wasn't full, so they're just waiting to see if she will go by herself. I'm not sure what they're doing with her jaw yet - I know it will need to be operated on eventually but if she's eating well then it's not an emergency I don't think, though I might ask if they will wire her jaw before she comes home. She seems to be improving everyday so I just hope it carries on!

Mymblesdaughter - sounds like you did a fantastic job with him and he still had a good life :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:24:41 PM by Lolarag »

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 11:20:01 AM »
When I was 16 I had a cat that was hit by a car. He was badly injured and had brain damage. The vets said there wasn't much more they could do for him and suggested I take him home. Anyway it took hours of work for me, he was walking around in circles and didn't know where he was. He just knew my voice and always headed to me when I called.  He never completely recovered but did have a good standard of life and lived till he was 16. I really think getting them home asap is important, they can feel relaxed in their own home to heal.

Good luck  :hug:   

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 21:05:17 PM »
There is a long way to go and what are they doing about her jaw?

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 20:58:03 PM »
I just want to throw caution to the wind and get happy but I know I can't!!! There's still a long way to go!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 20:29:14 PM »
That sounds, cautiously, optimistic! C'mon RagDoll, you can do it!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 20:19:09 PM »
Yessssssssssssssssssss and she will feel so much better with you if you are not stressed  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 19:24:46 PM »
Ragdoll update: The vet has informed me that she has regained some anal tone, she's been taken off a drip and is eating independently, and is generally showing a lot more positive signs. I hope the improvement in anal tone is a sign of things to come. The vet is advising that we take her home either Friday or Saturday now, she said it would be a shame to give up on her now considering she's responding so well. It's a big change of tune considering she told me yesterday that there really wasn't much hope.

What do people think? Should I get my hopes up?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 15:09:32 PM »
Cats name was Mikey of the Glen

Thank you Liz, he was just Mikey back then but became of the glen when he was adpted and thats the name of his fb page  ;D

hope its good news from the vet  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 10:34:20 AM »
Awwww that's amazing! That's why I'm trying to stay positive - because it seems like there's so many 'miracle' stories involving cats. They're such strong creatures. I just spoke to the receptionist and apparently Ragdoll cleared a lot of food last night, WITHOUT having her jaw wired  ;D ;D ;D I'm trying not to get too excited because I know she's not out of the woods yet but it seems like she's really trying to help herself. All I need now is for her to do a wee or poo by herself and I'll be absolutely over the moon! I'm so proud of my baby and how far she's come already! The vet is going to phone me later to talk to me but fingers crossed it's all looking good for her coming home!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 09:38:27 AM »
Cats name was Mikey of the Glen
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 01:10:00 AM »
They need to sort out her jaw asap so she can eat and pain manage her, I think walking around is very good sign.  :hug:

There is a disabled cat now living in scotland who lost the use of both back legs.....help me someone with name please..........it was a cat on  Cat Chat but we raised money for wheels for him because he could only pull himself along the ground

He had the most brilliant carer and eventually was adopted and went to live in Scotland .

He even has a fb page and never recovered the use of the back half of his body and his tail was not amputed. Indoors he used to where something like pampers with a hole cut out for his tail.

It must be about 5 years ago now.

When name is descovered there are long threads about him with pics, gorgeous cat.

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 23:23:45 PM »
If her pain can be stabilised then I want to give her as long as possible and treat her at home if I can. She's even started walking around at the vets the naughty girl!!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 21:26:32 PM »
Its about quality of life. If she hates being squeezed, washed and wiped, then life will be awful for her. If she's tolerant of this and you can commit to the three-four times daily (and nightly) routine of evacuating her, then you can do this and hope she improves.

I agree its too early to be "writing her off" but your vet is actually trying to make you realise that there may be no choice ultimately, and needs you to be aware that this is serious enough to weigh the balances very carefully.

I hope and pray she improves, and you get your lovely Ragdoll back, but please do consider the suffering she may be hiding.  :'( :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 21:24:58 PM »
I took her to the new vets today and she thought the situation was quite bad - She suggested we wait until Friday where I can either take her home or will have to put her to sleep.

I think it's honestly too soon for my vet to be writing her off - nerve damage takes a long time to heal and I want to give her a chance. Apparently she has no anal tone and according to some website she has a 50/50 chance of recovering after a 6 month period. She doesn't need an operation on her pelvis and requires cage rest only, her jaw is fractured and will need surgery eventually however I think they will put a wire in it for now. I found out that actually she hasn't eaten anything herself but she's been very eager to - seems like her jaw is just making it too difficult, so hopefully when they put the wire in she will be eating by herself. My previous vet is convinced that she will start eating when they put a wire in, and he thinks it will benefit her to come home, and he's heard of cats in her shape recovering so he was very encouraging.

My question more than anything is: after the 6 month period, if she doesn't regain her bladder and bowel faculties, but is still happy, should I still put her to sleep? Will it really give her a poor quality of life if she cannot do these functions herself.

It's such a tough situation and I pray that she will get better. Has anybody had a cat that has had such a poor prognosis and similar issues with bladder and bowel recovering? I really need to hear some encouraging news. She is so young, and was such a happy cat with a wonderful temperament before the accident. She also so pleased to see us today - I think it would really benefit her to come home. It will be so, so cruel and unfair if she can't recover from this. :(

Oh hun .... only you will be able to answer the question of when is enough enough!  You know you will make the right decision when and if it becomes necessary.  For now I would take the advice of both vets and use the information to make your own informed choices.   :hug:

One of our other members has recently been through some very tough times with one of her babies ... not the same condition but there were still times when she was considering the chance that she may have to make difficult decisions. 

Remember we are all here for you  :Luv2:

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 21:13:59 PM »
I took her to the new vets today and she thought the situation was quite bad - She suggested we wait until Friday where I can either take her home or will have to put her to sleep.

I think it's honestly too soon for my vet to be writing her off - nerve damage takes a long time to heal and I want to give her a chance. Apparently she has no anal tone and according to some website she has a 50/50 chance of recovering after a 6 month period. She doesn't need an operation on her pelvis and requires cage rest only, her jaw is fractured and will need surgery eventually however I think they will put a wire in it for now. I found out that actually she hasn't eaten anything herself but she's been very eager to - seems like her jaw is just making it too difficult, so hopefully when they put the wire in she will be eating by herself. My previous vet is convinced that she will start eating when they put a wire in, and he thinks it will benefit her to come home, and he's heard of cats in her shape recovering so he was very encouraging.

My question more than anything is: after the 6 month period, if she doesn't regain her bladder and bowel faculties, but is still happy, should I still put her to sleep? Will it really give her a poor quality of life if she cannot do these functions herself.

It's such a tough situation and I pray that she will get better. Has anybody had a cat that has had such a poor prognosis and similar issues with bladder and bowel recovering? I really need to hear some encouraging news. She is so young, and was such a happy cat with a wonderful temperament before the accident. She also so pleased to see us today - I think it would really benefit her to come home. It will be so, so cruel and unfair if she can't recover from this. :(
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 21:14:32 PM by Lolarag »

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 21:21:39 PM »
Its good you're thinking through these questions before you see the new vet. Now write them down on a pad and stick it in your handbag, ready to present them to the vet tomorrow.

He will answer them all, demonstrate exactly what to do and how often, and you can write the answers down on you pad so you miss nothing.

Meanwhile, keep another pad by your bedside so you can write down anything that occurs to you in the night, and hopefully you will sleep instead of worrying you'll forget by morning.

People here will know the answers to your questions, but isn't it better to let the vet lead your actions? Once you have a proper diagnosis, and you can talk to the professional instead of pre-judging what you may or may not need to do. Otherwise you're trying to second guess too many variables, and will just end up worrying yourself sick.

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 21:13:08 PM »
I wonder if anyone could give me advice regarding if I do get to bring her home and have to manually relieve her. I've got a general idea of how you relieve the bladder but how do you relieve the bowel? And when do you ever get the opportunity to see if your cat can do it by herself if you're always doing it for her? Any advice would be really appreciated - the vet I'm sending her to received Ragdoll's notes and x-rays from my current vote and according to my friend there's a high possibility that the vet will advise cage rest and manually relieving her.

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 20:42:02 PM »
Gill, did Ducha have problems with her bowel and bladder too?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 20:24:51 PM »
I too recommend puppy training pads, Ducha was on cage rest for about 6 weeks  and I tried all sorts first with failure.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 20:20:57 PM »
Yes both did and puppy training pads lining any cage for the cage rest are a godsend

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 20:06:42 PM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I believe I'm with a reliable vet now, as I was recommended by a friend who has 12 cats (!) so she uses this vet a lot. I got a call from my vet not long and he sounded a lot more positive, saying she is eating now and is responding better to different pain relief (more perky, etc) The vets I'm taking her to is in Leicester but my vet is happy for her to travel and says she won't be in any discomfort.

Liz, am I right in assuming that those cats mentioned recovered their number 1 & 2 issues? If so, that's very encouraging!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 19:34:28 PM »
How awful for your Raggie to have turned up with such bad injuries! I do hope that recovery is quick and total.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 18:21:14 PM »
We had a feral who was hit by a car and sustained damage to his tail and pelvis and had issues with number 1 and number 2 issues and he had his tail amputated and was on cage rest for 6 weeks in a large dog crate, if the cat is used to going out we got our vets to use compost in the litter box and this helped him go to the grit box not something he was used to

We also had another boy rebuilt with a full metal fixator set on the outside and he to used compost he has been left with a slight limp he was on cage rest for 12 weeks

It in our experience takes them about 3 days to go in the vets so to speak as they are out of their comfort zone and I know any of ours have done better after surgery at home and we adhere to the vets requests with strict cage rest and drugs required - the feral was diabetic so we had to manage that as well as cage rest for a very grumpy feral

good luck my 2 Raggies are laid back and this should help the healing and treatment process - my 2 are indoor/outdoor as well due to our rural location

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 18:18:36 PM »
Yes we have others in the brum area but if you have found a vet that will let you pay in installments thats is good.

My gut feeling says that if they will they know that they will have to be commited to you for some time so cannot afford to give bad care............hope they are also 24/7 vets with the appropriate night staff because a seriously ill cat needs to be stable in one place and not moved from pillar to post.

sending loads of good wishes for ragdoll  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 17:57:01 PM »
I think a second opinion is an excellent idea, not least because you may find there are alternative treatments for her pelvic injury than just surgery.

I have particular issues with one chain of vets whom I believe to be unethical in the way they work and charge, so do your homework and find a vet who is honest and recommended (I suggest you ask your local cat rescue for a recommendation here!) otherwise I know we have some members in the Brum area who would I'm sure be happy to recommend a good vet to you.

Offline Lolarag

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 17:44:03 PM »
She is Gill, yes, but I've had a bit of an issue with my vets... They won't let me pay in instalments and I really can't afford that sort of money up front, so I've arranged to bring her to another vet tomorrow morning that will let me pay in instalments. It's very worrying, I wish I had a pot of gold. I just want her to get better.

Link to CatChat