Author Topic: Metacam for cats  (Read 5037 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Metacam for cats
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 23:33:58 PM »
Hi again.  Yes I think a number of us are aware of potential side effects on kidneys from overdosing but I was more concerned about this part of your initial post and wondered what reliable website gave you the information I have highlighted in bold.  An actual link, so that it can be read in full context, would be great  :)

checking online and on Metacam's website I found it says to stop taking if behaviour changes and as well as being bad for cats kidneys it can cause aggression in cats.

You will I know understand that it is important that we are able to justify any warnings about pain relief for cats :hug:

I'm just very happy that, if there is a link, it seems extremely rare.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 19:53:06 PM »
As the majority of mine started life as Ferals they don't trust tablets in any way shape or form and we have a spreadsheet just for how they were all wormed and I know my vets are happy with Metacam and I am to it gives the oldies relief from pain and I drop mine in to cat milk or administer injections as and when required - I can give injections as we on Diabetic number 3 and our vets trust us to do as instructed
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline crh17

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Tori and Pabby
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 16:19:24 PM »
I found the warning in the USA on Metacam on the FDA  U.S Food and Drug Administration website I copy and pasted the actual message they put on their website below and its a USA Government website so I'm sure its quite creditable

WARNING

Repeated use of meloxicam in cats has been associated with acute renal failure and death. Do not administer additional injectable or oral meloxicam to cats. See Contraindications, Warnings, and Precautions for detailed information.

my other cat has had it before with no side effects I just wanted other owners to know about it as Pabbys reaction was so extreme with the tablets I get him a cat stick treat from any supermarket pop the tablet in a broken off bit and he actually begs for it in the morning, I have found with 2 cats its easier to monitor him getting the full dose with 1 tablet rather than Metacam which he was on a high dose for and often wouldn't eat the pouch I mixed it in.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 15:51:23 PM »
Tablets are useless for cats that cant be given them whereas metacam . as rosella has said is a godsend.

Its only been licenced for cats in the UK for about 5 years cos previously was being prescribed although said for dogs.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 11:18:16 AM »
It has been a godsend for Chunkchop my Calichi boy from 6 months drinking his dinner to 11 months of him being back on solid food, Kali kitten is brighter for using it and Millie is out and about for her outside walks twice a day

Helped when Sunny Collie was bitten by an Adder snake and so many more have had here after operations for long periods and we have no aggression or side effects and it is a god send and long may it continue to be so

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 10:08:55 AM »
Can you point me in the direction of a reliable website that says Metacam has been banned in US please as I can't find one.

Cheers

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 10:00:12 AM »
I worry about putting people off giving Metacam as pain relief.  I am a big fan of metacam although know of the potential kidney damage caused by long term use.  It has been a god send to our lot over the years.  I've checked on NOAH and there is no mention of it possibly causing aggression in cats which it should do if the Metacam website mentions this.  The only behavioural changes I have come across have been positive ones (following pain relief) so thankfully it appears the reaction Pabby experience was rare. 

You say Metacam was banned in the States.  Do you know why at all?  I have read the NOAH entries for both Metacam and Onsoir (extracts below) and can't quite figure out what difference there is in adverse effects on kidneys.  I've not come across Onsoir before but see they are tablets rather than liquid.

Metacam
Typical adverse reactions of NSAIDs such as loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhoea, faecal occult blood, lethargy and renal failure have occasionally been reported. In very rare cases elevated liver enzymes have been reported.  These side effects are in most cases transient and disappear following termination of the treatment but in very rare cases may be serious or fatal.

Onsoir
Use in cats with impaired cardiac, renal or hepatic function or in cats that are dehydrated, hypovolaemic or hypotensive may involve additional risks. If use cannot be avoided, these cats require careful monitor- ing.  Use this veterinary medicinal product under strict veterinary monitoring in cats with a risk of gastroin- testinal ulcers, or if the cat previously displayed intolerance to other NSAIDs.  Mild and transient diarrhoea, soft faeces or vomit- ing were commonly reported. In very rare cases, lethargy may be observed.

Sending every best wish to you and Pabby and Tori for that matter  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 23:12:25 PM »
Have a couple on it permanently and Millie is diabetic aged 16.5 years young and her bloods are the level of an 8yo, Chunkchop has it twice monthly in injection form as he has a very bad mouth and he is fine

I think it depends on the cat and I have a large selection who have had it with no effect

Offline crh17

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 22:40:50 PM »
Thank you Slugsta, he is so much better now he begs for the Onsoir tablet in a treat first thing and the new vet also suggested a supplement which seems to be working as he is now running and playing like a kitten not 7years old! and he loves chasing Tori and cuddles as I said he was quick to scratch when I first got him but now he purrs all the time, I think the aggression isn't a really common side effect but can happen, Tori has had Metacam with no effect but as I mentioned the vets hadn't heard of it, I researched quite a lot as Pabby isn't old and the arthritis is due to an injury he had as a kitten (probably a kicked knowing his history) and I felt the first vets gave up on him, I wanted him to have the best chance available. All the best to you too.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 19:51:05 PM »
Same as Gill - I knew about the kidneys but have never heard of aggression before, it's interesting to hear others' experiences!  One of mine was on daily metacam full dose for about 5 years for arthritis and fortunately never had any problems.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 16:14:09 PM »
Thanks for info and I knew about kidneys but have bever had any agressive behaviour.

Ducha was on metacam long term but at very low doseage

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 13:44:54 PM »
That's really interesting! Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I wish you, Pabby and Tori many happy times together.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 13:08:50 PM »
That's useful to know, thanks for the heads up. I've not experienced this reaction with my lot but will definitely be on the look out in future.

I'll check the website too.

Offline crh17

• Kitten
Metacam for cats
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 10:45:41 AM »
Hi I just wanted to warn other cat owners about a side effect of Metacam. My cat Pabby came from neighbours and didn't have the best start in life, after fighting with a fox earlier this year he was examined and discovered to have arthritis in his back leg, he apparently went for the vet whilst there and they told me he was so bad they would not examine him again without sedation. He wasn't the friendliest of cats being nervous and likely to lash out however he was probably in pain. the vets started him on Metacam to have daily as pain relief he got worse with lashing out and finally ended up chasing a puppy up the road to attack it. checking online and on Metacam's website I found it says to stop taking if behaviour changes and as well as being bad for cats kidneys it can cause aggression in cats. 4 months later Pabby is on Onsoir tablets for pain he loves cuddles sleeps on the bed and has been so much better with lashing out. he isn't in pain anymore and doesn't stop purring I moved vets and spoke to the new vets about Metacam and they hadn't heard of aggression caused by Metacam before but are looking into it as they use it regularly for all cats. I also looked at availability abroad as I'm considering moving in a few years with Pabby and my other cat Tori but needed to know if his tablets were available Metacam has been banned for use in cats in the USA because of the side effects on cats. I was shocked at how bad Pabby was on it and I just wanted others to be warned in case other cats on pain medication experienced behaviour changes and were labelled as aggressive through no fault of their own.

Link to CatChat