Author Topic: hyper t overdose of medication ?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline mark t

• Kitten
  • Slave to: cooper . honey . danny .sally . roise
Re: hyper t overdose of medication ?
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 20:18:03 PM »
hi one of my old cats penny had the same problem and took about 6 months to get her dose right and was on tablets for 5 years till she just wore out bless her we had another vet at the time and she was fantastic with penny nothing to much trouble and when we lost her it was her day off and she came in to see her and cryed buckets over losing penny so i no all vets are not the same its just ashame she has left the practice now
hopefully we will get cooper straight and right he is 100 % better than last week was breaking the mrs heart about the thought of loosing him and mine as well

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »
It does take some time for the dose to stabilise a Hyperthyroid cat we have 2 here one on Felimizole as after 5 years the Vitalda stopped working and he has gained half a kilo in 3 weeks he also had the thyroid removed and had a year with no tablets and my feral lady who is on 15mg of Vitalda a day crushed as she is a former feral with no teeth and as she drinks her food its easier to crush it and she is stable and fine

Both took a couple of months and numerous blood tests to get to the happy healthy cats we have now it also depends on the initial starting numbers as to what dose they start on and it can take a while to get the numbers right

Mine are 14 and nearly 16 respectively and both have great kidneys according to the latest results
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 01:24:11 AM »
Some times I want to kick vets and docs who think everyone is exactly the same rather than treat the situation or listening to the patient!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done you  and hope he keeps on being happier  :hug: :hug:

Offline mark t

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 20:15:59 PM »
update for cooper ) i have put him on 10mg tablets as from sunday he is like a new cat he is lively and clear eyed now eating plenty and not drinking as much water as before he is grooming him self agian now as well got him booked in to vets but not till after christmas for blood work and a chat about his dosage . the vet on the phone was not very happy i had dropped his dosage but had to agree in the end (after a small argument about how he new best ) that if he is eating better and more responsive then it might  and he said its a big might be wrong dosage

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 12:52:46 PM »
I would definitely speak to your vet Mark. my bailey is also hyperT and it's taken us a while to get his dose right. He's on felimazole and became very lethargic and gained loads of weight on the higher dose the vet started him on - even though his T4 numbers were within the normal range. He barely moved! We've lessened his dose and he's doing much better.
Make sure your vet discusses dosage and his numbers with you and takes the clinical signs into account as well as the bloodwork.
Glad Coopers seeming better!

Offline mark t

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 18:20:52 PM »
thanks for the repiles (update) he now has not had a tablet for 24 hours and now has just eat his first full meal in 3 days and looks more like the old lad he is im going to give him just one tablet 10mg from tomorow on wards till i can sort the vet out .

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 16:29:56 PM »
it certainly sounds as if he is now hypothyroid, which can have serious consequences for kidney function

he needs another blood test, but until you can arrange it I would immediately half his Vidalta dose - overdosing is potentially more serious than underdosing

if you check out some of the other threads on here about HyperT, you will see that treating at too high an initial dose is widespread among UK vets - I suspect your vet should not have increased the dose after only 4 weeks when it was clearly improving his condition

get copies of all his blood tests so you can do your own research - there is an excellent Yahoo group for owners of HT cats
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 16:19:45 PM »
You need to urgently discuss with the vet

Offline mark t

• Kitten
hyper t overdose of medication ?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 10:42:44 AM »
hi im new to this site . i would like a bit of advice on my 12-13 year old long haired cat called cooper he was diagnoside with hyper t three months ago and was put on a coures of vidalat 15 mg for four weeks his weight was very low at the time . the treatment seamed to work he was eating great and putting weight on then we had blood tests done after the four weeks vet told us he needed to go on a higher dose so 20 mg was given for four more weeks as again weight shot up three days ago took cooper to vets for blood work again and weight his weight had gone up to 4 and his hyper t was dead on what a cat of his age should be so the vet said so was told to stay on 20mg of vidalat . three days ago his eating started to slow down today he wont eat anything at all and looks only way to describe it is in a dream like state does not want to move much at all and is not intrested at all in food witch for cooper is not like him at all he normal loves his grub , any advice would be great fully recived im worried its the tablets that are now causing more harm than good

Link to CatChat