Author Topic: Scratching at night to get out of kitchen  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
Scratching at night to get out of kitchen
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 15:13:33 PM »
Just thought I'd update ... Sticky paws seems to have worked a treat! First night I used it milo scratched for about 20 seconds and I haven't heard a peep from him since! It's completely transparent tape so you can't even see it on the doorframe unless you are looking for it. Fingers crossed he's decided he doesn't like sticky paws and had given up now! Merry Xmas!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Scratching at night to get out of kitchen
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 01:15:03 AM »
I know this may sound daft but how about letting Milo into the hoiuse and leaving other one in the kitchen..........despair time and desparate measures!

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 23:57:59 PM »
In the summer I tried letting them sleep upstairs because there's a ceiling fan in my bedroom but it was a nightmare! Louis slept peacefully on the rug at the end if the bed all night until milo decided it was play time and dive bombed him. I had loads of problems with them in the summer .... Milo attacking Lou and Lou decamping to a bush across the road all summer ... Fun times.

I've looked on the internet and they suggest something called sticky paws so I might stick some of that on the doorframe when it arrives in the post and see what happens. As a temporary measure I've put some tape on the doorframe tonight as he's making a mess of it!! No doubt that will get scratched off in about a minute.

It's always around 3.30am that he scratches. Weird. I've spent half an hour before bed making him chase a da bird toy around the house and I've given then both some treats before I shut them in the kitchen and also moved their scratching post into the kitchen so I'll see how tonight goes. I'm not expecting great things though as milo looked like puss in boots from shrek with the massive pupils when I was shutting the door!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 15:34:10 PM »
Lupin hasnt tried notes yet but am waiting  :evillaugh:

he does know the handle on back door opens it but he cant manage keys yet  :innocent:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 13:17:12 PM »

I think that we sometimes forget when a cat is being "annoying" it's only because the annoying behaviour will catch our attention, and they know we'll take notice.  When they're trying to catch our attention, it's because there's something they want us to know about.  They cant speak human, and they cant type us a note (or can they Lupin?  :sneaky:) and so they have to let us know that there's something they need which isn't being met.

If you didnt object or have no health issues which would be compromised, you could try experimenting by giving them some free rein, and seeing if they'd be content to curl up on the bed with you, or perhaps put a bed in your room for them?

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 13:01:48 PM »
They really don't forget that a door will open if they have opened it once! Monty will claw at any door he knows opens including the fridge, door to study, dreamie cupboard, back door (he even knows that the top handle is needed to open that one)
I don't think he is going to stop it. Maybe you could try leaving the door a little open so he could wander?
A last ditch might be to try the sprays that are meant to stop them. One of our doors is wrecked by Monty trying to get through!
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 12:54:26 PM »
Mine also have free run of the house and Misa will hop omto bed for 10 mins or so. occasionally I wake up and find Lupin there and Sasa never comes on bed when I am in it but they all come and go into bedrppm all night  ;D ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 12:26:03 PM »
As Sheila says, he has a new tool, and he's using it.  Although he has his brother for company, that clearly isnt satisfying his need, and it might simply be that it's you he wants.  :hug:

I'm probably not a great one to comment, as we let the boys sleep wherever they like - living room, kitchen, back bedroom, our bedroom.......   :-[ 

On a practical level I would go with the suggestion of placing a perspex cover on the door frame, but it wont address the emotional need which seems to have surfaced. 

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 07:42:20 AM »
We are on day 7 of milo digging at the kitchen door! Ignoring him doesn't seem to be working and he's starting to make a mess of the door frame. There's nothing physically wrong with him; he's not ill. They have milk, water and biscuits down, each other for company in the night, lots of beds and toys. 3-3.30am every night for the last week he's scratched to get out!! I have no idea how to stop it. Their routine has not changed. Argh!!!

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 22:28:02 PM »
I think it is because he managed to open it one night that he has learnt he can open doors and thinks he will keep scratching and yowling till he does. Ours scratch at doors to cupboards and other rooms as they know that is how doors work! They are rather clever.
I'd ignore him for sure, Get your ear plugs out tonight  :doh: They can make a right mess of the door though so it may be an idea to try and put something over that like perspex!
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 21:05:08 PM »
Oh and I plan to ignore milo is he scratches again tonight!

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 21:03:20 PM »
Thanks for your replies. I don't think he's lonely as he has his brother in with him and they have biscuits and milk down when they are put to bed. I'm going to try playing with him before bed see if it tires him out.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but I think his brother Lou may be a little under the weather as he's been sick tonight and seems more sleepy. I'm keeping an eye on him!! He brought three dead mice back mid week so hoping he hasn't caught anything from them. Internet said to check his gums and they are still nice and pink. Maybe it's the cold.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »
Of course, always consider a change of behaviour may possibly indicate a change in health. If it really is unexplained then I'd suggest a quick trip to the vet to check out his general wellbeing. However I suspect this is more likely opportunism

Cats usually get active at around 4am, they want to feed and explore around then, and now he knows he can get your attention by yelling and scratching, he's going to exploit this new found tool.  :sneaky:

only way to deal with it is to ignore him completely, until he realises that Mum is not his patsy. You could try setting an automatic pet feeder to feed at 5am to coincide with his fretting, he may just be hungry. Make this guy an offer, I got two at £23 each.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350330788041?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:23:04 AM »
Maybe he is getting bored and lonely?  Also if it's been colder than usual or the weather has been bad where you are could have upset him?  Or is he being settled down earlier than usual so gets fed up quicker?

Not sure if there is anything you can put on the bottom of the door to reduce the risk of damage.  I would ignore him (or try to) - if you go and speak to him or give him attention he is getting what he wants and will learn to do it to get his way. If he doesn't get a reaction it will stop. 

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:00:17 AM »
Hi guys I wonder if anyone has any advice in how I can stop one of my boys scratching at the kitchen door at night to get out? Both of my boys are two years old and have always slept in the kitchen at night with no problems at all. However, for the last three nights now milo has started scratching to get out bye doesn't do it straight away. The first night I must not have clicked the door shut because he managed to open the door and then meowed at my bedroom door. This was about 6.20am. The following night it was 4.45am but I'd shut the door properly. I ignored him that night and he eventually stopped. Last night it was 3am and it went in ages so I went down and told him off. Three more times in the sane hour I did this. It then started again about 6am. I ignored it this time and it stopped.

I really don't know why he's started doing this. Nothing has changed and he's just as happy as ever. Louis was laid in his pop up cube, good as gold 😺😻.

Any ideas? He will wreck my door if it carries on and I'm tiiiiired!! 💤

Thanks!

Link to CatChat